Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 03:12 PM

497 posts, read 284,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
The 30 or 35% Hispanic statistic in particular is quite striking.

More Hispanic-americans voted for Trump, than Jewish-Americans.
Perhaps rural Latinos were oversampled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 03:12 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
The 30 or 35% Hispanic statistic in particular is quite striking.

More Hispanic-americans voted for Trump, than Jewish-Americans.
Part of the problem is that the media and the Democrats keep thinking that Americans that vote for Trump are somehow stupid. They aren't by a long shot. These people care about one thing primarily... Their pockets. Trump spoke in very blunt terms about how so many jobs have been shipped overseas. It's the truth. Meanwhile you have these economists on CNN talking down to Americans telling them that "globalization is good for America". Well what does their pockets say? Their pockets are empty, so who are they going to believe? The Democrats? Obama made lots of promises about helping Latinos and blacks and quite frankly he failed. Deportations increased under Obama of Latinos and blacks quite frankly didn't fare that well economically, so it makes you wonder just how much the Democrats really give a damn about these groups.

Meanwhile, the media loves attacking Trump when they can but the reality is that under him, both groups are flourishing economically.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:26 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,879,032 times
Harlem has come a loooooong way. Sephora is on its way. PC Richard just opened. Shake Shack is coming. There are ratchet pockets in Harlem and if you stay the hell out of em, you’ll be aight. The old timers who are anti ghey and anti gentrification must despise Harlem’s restaurant row on 8th Avenue then. Nothing they can do about it, and should shut their trap and not complain. When Harlem was cheap, they shoulda bought in. Point. Blank. Period.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:26 PM

202 posts, read 165,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Part of the problem is that the media and the Democrats keep thinking that Americans that vote for Trump are somehow stupid. They aren't by a long shot. These people care about one thing primarily... Their pockets. Trump spoke in very blunt terms about how so many jobs have been shipped overseas. It's the truth. Meanwhile you have these economists on CNN talking down to Americans telling them that "globalization is good for America". Well what does their pockets say? Their pockets are empty, so who are they going to believe? The Democrats? Obama made lots of promises about helping Latinos and blacks and quite frankly he failed. Deportations increased under Obama of Latinos and blacks quite frankly didn't fare that well economically, so it makes you wonder just how much the Democrats really give a damn about these groups.

Meanwhile, the media loves attacking Trump when they can but the reality is that under him, both groups are flourishing economically.
My company is rather famous, full of extremely well educated people (including myself) that quietly supported Trump regarding the negative impact globalization has had on our economy. I've seen first hand, up close and personal a once great American company off shore thousands of American jobs to India (not just IT sector). My company made the largest off shore deal in American history back around 2008. It was disgusting. Executive mgt ran to the hills shortly thereafter with their winnings, meanwhile the company is bleeding today.

Lots and lots of white collar folks voted for Trump on this one issue alone.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Harlem has come a loooooong way. Sephora is on its way. PC Richard just opened. Shake Shack is coming. There are ratchet pockets in Harlem and if you stay the hell out of em, you’ll be aight. The old timers who are anti ghey and anti gentrification must despise Harlem’s restaurant row on 8th Avenue then. Nothing they can do about it, and should shut their trap and not complain. When Harlem was cheap, they shoulda bought in. Point. Blank. Period.
Was Harlem ever that cheap that you could buy one of those 4 family townhouses with a regular income?

Old 09-24-2018, 03:33 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensCeltic View Post
My company is rather famous, full of extremely well educated people (including myself) that quietly supported Trump regarding the negative impact globalization has had on our economy. I've seen first hand, up close and personal a once great American company off shore thousands of American jobs to India (not just IT sector). My company made the largest off shore deal in American history back around 2008. It was disgusting. Executive mgt ran to the hills shortly thereafter with their winnings, meanwhile the company is bleeding today.

Yep. I voted for him and will vote for him again and I work in a white collar managerial position. The Democrats don't get it. Our jobs aren't for sale!

Old 09-24-2018, 03:34 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Harlem has come a loooooong way. Sephora is on its way. PC Richard just opened. Shake Shack is coming. There are ratchet pockets in Harlem and if you stay the hell out of em, you’ll be aight. The old timers who are anti ghey and anti gentrification must despise Harlem’s restaurant row on 8th Avenue then. Nothing they can do about it, and they should **** and not complain. When Harlem was cheap, they shoulda bought in. Point. Blank. Period.

Have several friends and some co-workers along with business associates who moved to Harlem. While they are all from Europe they didn't get nor understand the *hate* from many locals when they bought their homes/apartments.

As one Frenchwoman put it "why didn't these people buy when they had a chance?". Which is true and obviously something that makes certain AAs rather uncomfortable.

There was a time *NOT* that long ago people were literally giving away properties in Harlem. Row houses, co-ops, condos, etc... could be had for very little money compared to say below 96th street.

Yes, many African American or African caribbean middle class and above did buy. That house on Convent Avenue listed in another thread was purchased by such a couple (she was a professor at Columbia) fifty years ago. The daughters own property now and are ones selling.

Being as all this may city had all sorts of schemes or whatever for "minorities" to puy properties/their homes in Harlem. But many didn't and now are moaning about displacement and gentrification.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:49 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensCeltic View Post

Is Trump really keeping more jobs in America??

Old 09-24-2018, 03:51 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
Perhaps rural Latinos were oversampled
Why OVER-sampled?

There simply may be more rural Latinos than rural Jews in America.

And we all now that rural citizens in general were more likely to vote for Trump/Republican.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Why OVER-sampled?

There simply may be more rural Latinos than rural Jews in America.

And we all now that rural citizens in general were more likely to vote for Trump/Republican.
I meant that there's a chance Latinos from rural areas were oversampled versus their urban counterparts. Trump got a very small percentage of votes in the Latino parts of NYC for instance.

I think Latinos in general tend to be left leaning but generally moderate. Of course there are Latinos with widely varying political opinions, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City