Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:38 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Of course you would say that, but the fact is unemployment is historic lows, so obviously he's doing something right.
Unemployment was already going down under Obama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 06:40 PM

31,915 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Only took about six pages but usual for this CS forum; topic has careered off course into something entirely different with all sorts of extra.

What began as a query seeking advice on Harlem, now has morphed into DT and unemployment.

Still as one said it took *only* several pages to reach this state; that is something anyway.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:41 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Unemployment was already going down under Obama
Sorry, but he's not in office now, and hasn't been for well over a year.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times
Quote:
Sorry, but he's not in office now, and hasn't been for well over a year.
Exactly.
Unemployment was low under Obama and it's still low.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:22 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,737,191 times
Real wages still declining, though.

"Our jobs aren't for sale!"

Trump would sell you, your job, and your mother for a can of Spam and some toenail clippers.

I get voting for Republican economic policies in the usual sense; they're wrong but they're not insane. Vote for Jeb Bush, even Ted Cruz, I get it. Trump is such a con that only someone truly simple-minded could believe that he gives a damn about anyone in existence except himself and maybe Ivanka.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:38 AM

202 posts, read 165,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
That wasn't my question.

My question was if any of Trump's policies are keeping more jobs in the U.S., rather than going abroad.
He slashed the corporate tax rate significantly, to the point where US companies are now bringing jobs back home. He also cut regulations on companies. Just those two policy changes alone have turbo charged the economy.

Obama gets credit for saving the Bush economy, but that's about it. There's really no debate.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Unemployment numbers can (and often are) misleading.

United States only lists those who report they are actively seeking work but cannot find as "unemployed". Thus the bums you see in the street, and or living in their parent's basement who aren't looking for work aren't counted.

Agree completely.

And when and if the last job in the U.S. disappears, and everyone realizes this and stops wasting time looking for nonexistent work, the Unemployment Rate, as reported by the government will fall to 0%.
Does this fact alone not demonstrate how cooked and dishonest this number is.

THe only statistic of use in evaluating economic health is Number of full time employed divided by the total population.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Of course you would say that, but the fact is unemployment is historic lows, so obviously he's doing something right.
Unemployment is simply those collecting unemployment checks. After those six months run out, the unemployed person no longer shows up in the statistics.

The parts of the country that are Trump’s base have not had a major recovery. The rust belt, rural parts of the Deep South are as busted ever and it will take a lot more than Trump to fix those areas.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:20 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Unemployment is simply those collecting unemployment checks. After those six months run out, the unemployed person no longer shows up in the statistics.

The parts of the country that are Trump’s base have not had a major recovery. The rust belt, rural parts of the Deep South are as busted ever and it will take a lot more than Trump to fix those areas.
Of course. You can't expect MILLIONS of jobs to come pouring back into the country, not even with deregulation and tax breaks. Some of these jobs will NEVER come back, but he's only been in office over a year now. Things take time. So far he's been doing everything that he has said he would do. The Democrats lost. Time for them to get over their butt hurt. But but but...

Old 09-25-2018, 10:35 AM

172 posts, read 590,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There was a time *NOT* that long ago people were literally giving away properties in Harlem. Row houses, co-ops, condos, etc... could be had for very little money compared to say below 96th street.

Yes, many African American or African caribbean middle class and above did buy. That house on Convent Avenue listed in another thread was purchased by such a couple (she was a professor at Columbia) fifty years ago. The daughters own property now and are ones selling.

Being as all this may city had all sorts of schemes or whatever for "minorities" to puy properties/their homes in Harlem. But many didn't and now are moaning about displacement and gentrification.
I can only respond to this from the experience of my middle class Harlem family. I did ask my grandmother why she didn't get a brownstone when they were giving them away in the 80's. She said that many properties needed total rehabs and she didn't have 60-70k to do that and banks weren't lending money for Harlem in those days..

My uncle tried in 98 right before the market started getting crazy. Harlem was still a hidden gem. However the city red tape of liens and taxes of the previous owner who abandoned the property discouraged him. He would had to pay alot of extra money that he felt like he didn't owe and couldn't afford. I'm not sure if that's accurate but that made him give up.

In 2007 it was my turn to try. I had a good city job and wanted to buy property in the neighborhood I grew up in but I didn't have any luck. By this time the market was too competitive. There were alot of foreign buyers that had strong currencies and saw Harlem as a cheap deal like those 1 dollar pizzas. There were also house flippers and yuppies to compete with. It was also a sellers market so even empty shells were going for like 800k. I had money saved for a house and I was making like 70k but I couldn't play on that level. I gave up

So don't make it seem like black ppl didn't try. We did but we didnt have the same access to credit and cash. Also many ppl didn't know how to navigate the buying process
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City