Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 11:08 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Only took about six pages but usual for this CS forum; topic has careered off course into something entirely different with all sorts of extra.

What began as a query seeking advice on Harlem, now has morphed into DT and unemployment.

Still as one said it took *only* several pages to reach this state; that is something anyway.
Right? I can't give you reps, I need to spread them around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 11:23 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
I can only respond to this from the experience of my middle class Harlem family. I did ask my grandmother why she didn't get a brownstone when they were giving them away in the 80's. She said that many properties needed total rehabs and she didn't have 60-70k to do that and banks weren't lending money for Harlem in those days..

My uncle tried in 98 right before the market started getting crazy. Harlem was still a hidden gem. However the city red tape of liens and taxes of the previous owner who abandoned the property discouraged him. He would had to pay alot of extra money that he felt like he didn't owe and couldn't afford. I'm not sure if that's accurate but that made him give up.

In 2007 it was my turn to try. I had a good city job and wanted to buy property in the neighborhood I grew up in but I didn't have any luck. By this time the market was too competitive. There were alot of foreign buyers that had strong currencies and saw Harlem as a cheap deal like those 1 dollar pizzas. There were also house flippers and yuppies to compete with. It was also a sellers market so even empty shells were going for like 800k. I had money saved for a house and I was making like 70k but I couldn't play on that level. I gave up

So don't make it seem like black ppl didn't try. We did but we didnt have the same access to credit and cash. Also many ppl didn't know how to navigate the buying process
Everybody should read this when they ask how come Black people could not buy a brownstone in Harlem in the 1980s.

BugsyPal, looking at you.

Dewdrop, I gave Reps.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 09-25-2018 at 01:30 PM..

Old 09-25-2018, 12:50 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Why not buy a co-op or a condo if you can't afford a house? I mean neither of them are 800k. You don't know the buying process... Go READ online!! You think I was ready to buy an apartment in my 20s? Uh... No. What did I do? I researched thoroughly, and now when I do buy I know the process.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:59 PM

174 posts, read 187,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
The fact is, if you treat people like garbage for decades, crowd them together in substandard conditions, offer them substandard housing, provide substandard services generally, it will have long-term effects on those people. Those store clerks who don't give you good service probably only rarely GET good service. If no one's taught you your own value, you won't value the people around you in your community.

You have to decide if the positives--like helping to sustain a majority-black neighborhood that's survived the worst the U.S. could throw at it--outweigh the negatives--all the various inconveniences and unpleasantnesses of living in an underserved neighborhood. The calculus is different for each individual. If you move further west (FDB is indeed about the dividing line), you will find nicer neighborhoods. You will also find gentrification much further underway in terms of pricing out the long-term residents. But if you "love the neighborhood," then why are you worried about what random jerks on a site say about it?
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to randomperson2 again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Harlem has come a loooooong way. Sephora is on its way. PC Richard just opened. Shake Shack is coming. There are ratchet pockets in Harlem and if you stay the hell out of em, you’ll be aight. The old timers who are anti ghey and anti gentrification must despise Harlem’s restaurant row on 8th Avenue then. Nothing they can do about it, and should shut their trap and not complain. When Harlem was cheap, they shoulda bought in. Point. Blank. Period.
*sigh*

The people with the most indignation also tend to be the most ignorant of history.

People didn't buy in Harlem because banks wouldn't lend to them to buy in Harlem. It's really just that simple. It's not a matter of personal choice or responsibility. While social programs were going on all over the country to give jobs and homes to White people, those same programs, and the bank money backing those home purchases were simply not available for Black people. They were DEFINITELY unavailable for redlined districts like Harlem.

That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensCeltic View Post
My company is rather famous, full of extremely well educated people (including myself) that quietly supported Trump regarding the negative impact globalization has had on our economy. I've seen first hand, up close and personal a once great American company off shore thousands of American jobs to India (not just IT sector). My company made the largest off shore deal in American history back around 2008. It was disgusting. Executive mgt ran to the hills shortly thereafter with their winnings, meanwhile the company is bleeding today.

Lots and lots of white collar folks voted for Trump on this one issue alone.
If you think Trump has actual answers to that problem, you're dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Is Trump really keeping more jobs in America??
Quite obviously not.

As for the OP, not sure why you care what the classists/racists on this site think about Harlem. If you've got your own experience, based on your own ideals, just go with that. It's a neighborhood under transition. There's rich history.. there's also crime. There are some great people from before.. some great people moving in now. There are also *******s from before, and new *******s moving in.

I would question why you'd want to live in Harlem, if you're seeking a neighborhood that's already transitioned to being more like other areas of the City, when you could just move to one of those other areas.. But if you do enjoy Harlem's unique charm, then who cares what these people think?

Old 09-26-2018, 10:34 AM

172 posts, read 590,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Why not buy a co-op or a condo if you can't afford a house? I mean neither of them are 800k. You don't know the buying process... Go READ online!! You think I was ready to buy an apartment in my 20s? Uh... No. What did I do? I researched thoroughly, and now when I do buy I know the process.
Of course you can research anything online now. However I was mostly talking about the past, the Pre internet and smartphone era. In the past there might have been info on buying a house but buying a abandon property comes with a unique set of challenges. Most working class ppl didn't even know where to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City