Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 03:44 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Fighting terrorists in their own backyard has minimal effect. We need tougher borders and to know who we let into this country, and eyes and ears of NYPD on the ground. We need them assessing threats and developing information about who is here to commit terror.
I’ve lived through a terror attack myself and don’t want to see it ever happen again.
What are you talking about? Who said fighting terrorists in their own backyard is a good idea? Or anything about tougher borders or knowing who to let into this country? My condolences if you suffered cognitive impairment due to the terrorist attack. That must have been awful, but it still makes sense to try to have a clear head and look at what the actual state of the municipal budget is and realize that the cut that NYPD is getting really actually entails. None of it is really about curtailing investigations and counterterrorism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 04:04 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I get that counter-terrorism is important and that city agencies including NYPD were important first responders, but I also feel like NYPD didn’t prevent 9/11 from happening, the part of NYPD’s budget that can be cut isn’t really its counterterrorism bits, and there are other agencies especially on the federal and international level that have a lot more to do with countering terrorism than municipal police agencies.

The city is facing a deficit, and no thanks to Big Bird but also not entirely his doing, there are economic repercussions that would necessitate cuts for many departments including NYPD unless there is federal money coming in since it’d require a level of fiscal policy control beyond municipal or state levels to essentially “create” the order of magnitude funds to keep things as is.

Besides, about half the cuts for NYPD are essentially reshuffling some of the jobs and work scope to other departments.
Quote:
What are you talking about? Who said fighting terrorists in their own backyard is a good idea? Or anything about tougher borders or knowing who to let into this country? My condolences if you suffered cognitive impairment due to the terrorist attack. That must have been awful, but it still makes sense to try to have a clear head and look at what the actual state of the municipal budget is and realize that the cut that NYPD is getting really actually entails. None of it is really about curtailing investigations and counterterrorism.
Well what do you mean by this^^^ Also, I’m replying to you respectfully, why are you insulting me???

Old 07-01-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Well what do you mean by this^^^ Also, I’m replying to you respectfully, why are you insulting me???
It's not the victim's fault if they were damaged by terrorism, and my condolences to you for being a victim of an attack. If you're obsessed, which is reasonable if you were damaged by it, by 9/11 and that's why you mentioned it, then I understand that. However, it also still makes sense to look at what the actual proposed budget cut is and whether or not your reference to 9/11 really does make that much sense. Again, it's okay if you've suffered impairment in some way and have a strong kneejerk reaction. That's completely understandable. However, that first automatic reaction isn't necessarily a rational one.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:22 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times
Quote:
It's not the victim's fault if they were damaged by terrorism, and my condolences to you for being a victim of an attack. If you're obsessed, which is reasonable if you were damaged by it, by 9/11 and that's why you mentioned it, then I understand that. However, it also still makes sense to look at what the actual proposed budget cut is and whether or not your reference to 9/11 really does make that much sense. Again, it's okay if you've suffered impairment in some way and have a strong kneejerk reaction. That's completely understandable. However, that first automatic reaction isn't necessarily a rational one.
You didn’t answer either if my questions. I’m done with you. Have a great night!

Old 07-01-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
You didn’t answer either if my questions. I’m done with you. Have a great night!

I'm pretty sure I answered them, but I also understand if this is a sore topic for you. I'm acknowledging that you may have some impairment inflected upon you from a terrorist attack, and as a victim, you do not need to be ashamed of it.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-01-2020 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-01-2020, 04:59 PM

383 posts, read 174,057 times
The concern is budget cut “as gun crime is on the rise”.

So let’s make numbers speak.

2013 crime was much lower overall and so was gun crime.

NYPD budget was $4,618,157,000 (down $289,000,000 from 2012).

2019 the budget was almost $6,000,000,000 yet gun crime kept rising (and don’t bring up stop and frisk crime didn’t go up after it was banned).

So question: with a budget of almost $6 billion, how and why is gun crime still on the rise?
Why is there still any gun crime at all?
Why gun crime related arrests are NOT on the rise?

We can conclude that at least $1-billion was spent for nothing.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX_Fly View Post
The concern is budget cut “as gun crime is on the rise”.

So let’s make numbers speak.

2013 crime was much lower overall and so was gun crime.

NYPD budget was $4,618,157,000 (down $289,000,000 from 2012).

2019 the budget was almost $6,000,000,000 yet gun crime kept rising (and don’t bring up stop and frisk crime didn’t go up after it was banned).

So question: with a budget of almost $6 billion, how and why is gun crime still on the rise?
Why is there still any gun crime at all?
Why gun crime related arrests are NOT on the rise?

We can conclude that at least $1-billion was spent for nothing.
Well, someone got to enjoy the extra money, so I wouldn't say it was truly for nothing.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:11 PM

383 posts, read 174,057 times
Quote:
Well, someone got to enjoy the extra money, so I wouldn't say it was truly for nothing.
Ok, but money for NYPD and an increase in almost $1.5 billions in 6 years didn’t help lower crime, but crime and gun crime went up, so what’s the point of such a high budget?
So whose pockets did it go to?

Old 07-01-2020, 05:47 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times
Is the budget "so high"? Inflation factors into a budget also. Nothing is the same price it was 6 years ago, correct ? Based on inflation , their budget is probably pretty close to what it was. That said, crime is on the rise, and perhaps, just maybe their budget should be higher.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX_Fly View Post
Ok, but money for NYPD and an increase in almost $1.5 billions in 6 years didn’t help lower crime, but crime and gun crime went up, so what’s the point of such a high budget?
So whose pockets did it go to?
Somebody’s!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City