Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 09:14 AM

3,490 posts, read 1,408,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I was watching a program last night, and it is known that covid isn't spread thru the outside air, and yet, why are people still wearing masks when they are walking down a block alone.

I do not want the government thinking for me, and imposing their rules on me.
I don't want to wear a mask outside, so I don't.
I use my common sense when I'm on the subway, and inside a store. But as far as being outside, and even in a park, there is no reason for it.

I think the government has conditioned people into this and I think it is wrong.

Of course we all have our own brains and should be able to know when to and when not to wear a mask.

no more masks for me outside anymore, that's done with for me.

Same here. I've been very very cooperative with wearing masks outside for the past year. I even trekked through last summer wearing a mask outside in 90 degree weather, but now that I'm vaccinated, the mask is coming off outside. Very happy to wear it indoors and in the subway for the time being, but no more masks outdoors for me. People can go on about staying safe and all, but there's also mental health to think about as well. Constant isolation and keeping your face wrapped up all the time with little to no socialization is not good either. So we need some sort of balance.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:42 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
I concur. My mom after not stepping a foot outside since the pandemic has been now joining me on my treks since two week ago after we both got vaccinated. I can see the improvement in her mental acuity and overall mood. It's not normal to be all cooped up. Get some exercise, catch some rays and make vitamin D!

Old 06-02-2021, 10:02 AM

120 posts, read 203,229 times
The science here is incredibly clear. The vaccines work astoundingly well and it is amazing. There were 23 new cases in Manhattan yesterday. Based upon the science around the vaccine, the high vaccination rate in NYC and MOST importantly - the very low local case numbers....there is no good technical argument for a vaccinated person to wear a mask at this time in NYC with specific respect to COVID. Everyone has the right to wear a mask as they see fit and private business have the right to require it. If you are in a place where a mask is required then you should wear one.

We are all suffering from COVID PTSD in different ways but any technical argument for the need for vaccinated people to wear masks is dipping into the same science denier realm as anti vaxers or climate deniers. The science is clear and beyond reproach.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:34 AM

3,490 posts, read 1,408,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboriginie View Post
The science here is incredibly clear. The vaccines work astoundingly well and it is amazing. There were 23 new cases in Manhattan yesterday. Based upon the science around the vaccine, the high vaccination rate in NYC and MOST importantly - the very low local case numbers....there is no good technical argument for a vaccinated person to wear a mask at this time in NYC with specific respect to COVID. Everyone has the right to wear a mask as they see fit and private business have the right to require it. If you are in a place where a mask is required then you should wear one.

We are all suffering from COVID PTSD in different ways but any technical argument for the need for vaccinated people to wear masks is dipping into the same science denier realm as anti vaxers or climate deniers. The science is clear and beyond reproach.

Exactly. And the risk of a breakthrough infection is very rare and the chances of a severe symptom from that rare breakthrough infection is even rarer. So again, very much worth that tiny tiny risk, if any.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:50 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
Quote:
The science here is incredibly clear.
The problem is, the mask debate isn't about the science anymore, and I'm not sure it ever really was. From the beginning, masks have been horribly politicized, and it's continuing to this day. There are people on certain social media platforms posting videos that more or less say, "I'm fully vaccinated, but will continue to wear a mask because I don't want people to think I'm a Republican."

I was more than happy to wear one before the vaccine, and when the vaccines were in their early rollout stages. But now, we have the government literally bribing people to get vaccinated, I could walk into any Duane Reade right now and probably get vaccinated 5 times if I wanted to (figuratively) due to all the excess supply. Anyone who wants a vaccine can get one multiple times over and we have the CDC, Fauci, and Biden all saying that the science is showing virtually no risk of a vaccinated person developing severe symptoms or asymptomatically transmitting the virus. So, tell me, what's the deal with insisting on wearing one outside after all that, if not just to make a big political statement?

Finally, I was in Washington DC recently, which I've always considered to be just as, if not more liberal than NYC. Masks outdoors have more or less disappeared there, and I was all over the city. So to me, it seems that hardline outdoor masking is increasingly becoming a New York-only practice.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:54 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
"...a New York only practice."

Because Dictator Cuomo created a huge mass of followers who take his word over anything else.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-02-2021, 11:01 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
The problem is, the mask debate isn't about the science anymore, and I'm not sure it ever really was. From the beginning, masks have been horribly politicized, and it's continuing to this day. There are people on certain social media platforms posting videos that more or less say, "I'm fully vaccinated, but will continue to wear a mask because I don't want people to think I'm a Republican."

I was more than happy to wear one before the vaccine, and when the vaccines were in their early rollout stages. But now, we have the government literally bribing people to get vaccinated, I could walk into any Duane Reade right now and probably get vaccinated 5 times if I wanted to (figuratively) due to all the excess supply. Anyone who wants a vaccine can get one multiple times over and we have the CDC, Fauci, and Biden all saying that the science is showing virtually no risk of a vaccinated person developing severe symptoms or asymptomatically transmitting the virus. So, tell me, what's the deal with insisting on wearing one outside after all that, if not just to make a big political statement?

Finally, I was in Washington DC recently, which I've always considered to be just as, if not more liberal than NYC. Masks outdoors have more or less disappeared there, and I was all over the city. So to me, it seems that hardline outdoor masking is increasingly becoming a New York-only practice.
In general you're right about it being basically an NYC practice outdoors.

I went to a Yankees game the first week of the season and during the game almost everyone had their mask on.
Last week almost nobody did (myself included both times.)

Old 06-02-2021, 02:42 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,729,934 times
"So, tell me, what's the deal with insisting on wearing one outside after all that, if not just to make a big political statement?"

Honestly, at this point, for most people it's probably just a convenience thing. I have to wear a mask in the common areas of my building; many of the stores I patronize still require one; and you still need one for public transit, which I use. Remembering to go on-off, on-off is annoying, and also I'm always worried that the mask is going to fall out of wherever I've stuck it. Until it gets warm enough to be uncomfortable, half the time I am just too lazy to worry about it.

Old 06-02-2021, 04:05 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:

This vaccine is a miracle but it’s still experimental. They still aren’t sure if we need boosters or it’s an annual thing. Also it’s not approved for small children yet.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:18 PM

3,731 posts, read 3,466,157 times
Nationwide the CDC removed the mask mandate what two weeks ago? Covid didn't explode everywhere, in fact it's still going down.

That's all you need to know about masks.

PS Yes I know there are lots vaccinated, but only about 140 Million are vaccinated nationwide. That still leaves about 180-200 million people who can still catch covid with no masks.... not happening.

Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: