Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2021, 07:08 PM

34,171 posts, read 47,434,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Hey you're the one that's always talking about how you haven't been here and there in years. LOL I get around. Most of the Bronx is not known to be a food haven, and I'm sorry but having lived in Italy, City Island is not a destination for "good seafood", so that's out. I do like Zero Otto Nove in Little Italy, Kingsbridge Social Club in Kingsbridge and a few other locations though.
Makes sense, you're a foodie (I forgot)

All good

But back to the topic at hand, this whole "wave" of shoplifting has me skeptical

I would actually like to see what borough has the most increased shoplifting then, and then delve into why that is so

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 07:18 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,638,068 times
This popped up in the San Fran forum this week, and found it relevant.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...g-16527801.php

Old 10-16-2021, 06:04 AM

6,525 posts, read 3,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Catch the crooks and put them in jail?
That's what should happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Try calling the police and saying a guy just walked out the door with 5 tubes of toothpaste
see if they try to find him
I understand your point, but you have to start somewhere. Are we, as a society, going to "tolerate" this BS, until there are no self-service stores left? Or, as I read somewhere else, do we return to the "ways of old", where the customers enter the store, walk up to a counter, hand an employee a note, the employee gets what's on your list, then you pay and leave? And in the meantime customers line up for a couple of hours, while this scenario repeats itself, over and over?

Old 10-16-2021, 01:03 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,337,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

All good

But back to the topic at hand, this whole "wave" of shoplifting has me skeptical

I would actually like to see what borough has the most increased shoplifting then, and then delve into why that is so
The answer is easy as to why. There's a huge second hand market for the stuff, and with wages being increased, far fewer workers in the stores. I needed to buy some medicine today from CVS. Worker had to open up the locked up area for me and a few other people to get stuff, and then I had to ask again, since it wasn't what I wanted.

Old 10-16-2021, 01:20 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,729,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

All good

Walgreens has closed at least 10 stores in San Francisco since the start of 2019 and is on the road to close 5 more.
So that suggests that the alleged wave in NY might not be entirely hyped

but it's certainly only in particular stores, not to the same level in all stores

However, this may spread if it is perceived as easy to get away with, organized crews traveling around.

I would like to know the top selling hit items

Old 10-16-2021, 01:25 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,729,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
That's what should happen.

I understand your point, but you have to start somewhere. Are we, as a society, going to "tolerate" this BS, until there are no self-service stores left? Or, as I read somewhere else, do we return to the "ways of old", where the customers enter the store, walk up to a counter, hand an employee a note, the employee gets what's on your list, then you pay and leave? And in the meantime customers line up for a couple of hours, while this scenario repeats itself, over and over?
I dont think police are the starting point, it's a security issue for the stores first
Either using security guards and/or locking up stuff
If they lock up stuff, eventually store designers may figure a way to make it a little faster to retrieve.

Old 10-16-2021, 01:53 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,638,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
I dont think police are the starting point, it's a security issue for the stores first
Either using security guards and/or locking up stuff
If they lock up stuff, eventually store designers may figure a way to make it a little faster to retrieve.
This is like saying …. Your house got robbed, but it’s ok because you had crappy locks and don’t have a security system. Really? How could it possibly be the stores fault vs the people committing the crime?

Stop blaming the victims people.

Old 10-16-2021, 01:59 PM

1,063 posts, read 553,638 times
He expects a security guard to take on gangs of 4,5,6 people.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:01 PM

34,171 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The answer is easy as to why. There's a huge second hand market for the stuff, and with wages being increased, far fewer workers in the stores. I needed to buy some medicine today from CVS. Worker had to open up the locked up area for me and a few other people to get stuff, and then I had to ask again, since it wasn't what I wanted.
That's not what I was talking about

My question was which borough has seen the most increase, and why that particular borough

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-17-2021, 10:26 AM

6,525 posts, read 3,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
He expects a security guard to take on gangs of 4,5,6 people.
That's a good reason, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City