Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2021, 11:14 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
I need to stop putting mileage on my brand new Dell Inspiron with this nonsense.
I just bought an OptiPlex. How are you liking yours so far?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 11:25 AM

1,059 posts, read 549,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I just bought an OptiPlex. How are you liking yours so far?
Can't answer. Busy with my Zoom craft class.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:20 PM

5,687 posts, read 2,615,888 times
Quote:
Food deserts are a thing of the past now

People are simply starting to order their groceries online and have it delivered, doesn't matter if you live 5 miles away from a supermarket, the cheapest smartphone will get your groceries delivered to you
That doesn't make them a thing of the past. They very much still exist. It's just people now have a choice to go to another neighborhood to get healthy food. Or have it delivered. I'd love that be able to have healthy food I buy walkable to me. And my walkable is far more distance then most.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:34 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input

So question - were the items you needed at DR/RA out of stock due to the shoplifting? Are you frequently finding items that you need at DR/RA out of stock in general?

As to the bolded, I believe that is the primary reason these threads get started...what discussion did this thread spark? Anything enlightening? Or are people just seeking confirmation from others who agree with their sentiments...
Yes! Cereal. But, that may be a shipping issue. The last time I was at DR, which was a week ago, there were only 4 boxes of cereal and this DR is too huge to only have 4 boxes of cereal. I went on Amazon and the price of cereal has doubled. So, I went to Target yesterday (which I don't like to do because of the long lines and it's out of the way) but they had plenty of stuff at the same price it's always been. F DR/RA or amazon. I'm going to Target! And it wasn't all that crowded and self checkout was a breeze.

The out of stock items, I think is a shipping issue. Otherwise, why is Amazon jacking up the prices. But the locked up items (which are a pain, who wants to go chasing down a DR employee to unlock things) is a theft issue.

I think these threads start as a venting mechanism. You want solutions. People want to vent.
It's the same with my book club. It gets sidetracked with people talking about crime. And it's not coming from the Manhattanites. It's coming from long time residents of the Bronx! So, it's not a transplant thing. Transplants are blissfully unaware. It's the longtime Bronx people who are apprehensive.

Last edited by Aeran; 10-13-2021 at 12:43 PM..

Old 10-13-2021, 01:43 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
This stuff is not happening around my way like that

I'll guess I'll make a post when it does

Only thing I've significantly noticed is a decrease in juiceboxes since school started
But you claim you shop at the box stores anyway outside of your area, so how do you know it isn't happening?

Old 10-13-2021, 01:43 PM

5,687 posts, read 2,615,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

It's the same with my book club. It gets sidetracked with people talking about crime. And it's not coming from the Manhattanites. It's coming from long time residents of the Bronx! So, it's not a transplant thing. Transplants are blissfully unaware. It's the longtime Bronx people who are apprehensive.
I very much agree with this. Crime and theif has always been an issue in the Bronx. Can't be naive about that. However now it's on steroids.

Old 10-13-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
But you claim you shop at the box stores anyway outside of your area, so how do you know it isn't happening?
I shop in my neighborhood and outside my neighborhood as well

Old 10-13-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yes! Cereal. But, that may be a shipping issue. The last time I was at DR, which was a week ago, there were only 4 boxes of cereal and this DR is too huge to only have 4 boxes of cereal. I went on Amazon and the price of cereal has doubled. So, I went to Target yesterday (which I don't like to do because of the long lines and it's out of the way) but they had plenty of stuff at the same price it's always been. F DR/RA or amazon. I'm going to Target! And it wasn't all that crowded and self checkout was a breeze.

The out of stock items, I think is a shipping issue. Otherwise, why is Amazon jacking up the prices. But the locked up items (which are a pain, who wants to go chasing down a DR employee to unlock things) is a theft issue.

I think these threads start as a venting mechanism. You want solutions. People want to vent.
Are there any actual supermarkets in proximity to where you live?

Old 10-13-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
That doesn't make them a thing of the past. They very much still exist. It's just people now have a choice to go to another neighborhood to get healthy food. Or have it delivered. I'd love that be able to have healthy food I buy walkable to me. And my walkable is far more distance then most.
Well the only solution for that is if more stores were to open

But in the meantime more people are starting to order their groceries online

Old 10-13-2021, 03:15 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Are there any actual supermarkets in proximity to where you live?
Oh, yeah. Plenty but I've either been doing mostly take-out, amazon food delivery/Fresh Direct or shopping at Westerly Natural Market (Whole Foods at Columbus Circle is too crowded) and Target for household supplies because DR/RA is all locked up. And Jack's 99 cent store has been closed for awhile now.

Oh, no I'm mainly describing the problems I've been facing shopping in my mom's area in Flushing. Ever since covid and my mom's hip surgery, I've been doing all her shopping and random errands for her. The supermarkets by her are mostly Asian if not all & they all sell limited non-Asian items at jacked up prices.

So, for those I was relying on DR/RA. But now I have to make the extra trek over to Skyview Mall to shop at Target. My mom's place doesn't have a doorman so I'm reluctant to do Fresh Direct or Amazon food delivery like I've been doing at my place in Manhattan. That's where doormen come in handy otherwise the delivery people just put everything out in the lobby. There are cameras all over the place to deter theft but I just don't like packages just sitting there out in the open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City