Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2021, 10:01 AM

1,062 posts, read 551,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Guy is in denial about crime and a bunch of other things.
Soon we'll be hearing about food deserts, pharmacy deserts, retail deserts, liquor store deserts, banking deserts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 10:01 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,510,806 times
At some point the drug stores will be converted to pick up locations for on line shopping apps. Puck out your stuff and pay for it on CVS.com, then walk into the store, flash a QR code for your order on your phone, and you get a bag with your order in it, or have it delivered. No customers will be allowed to browse in the merchandise. Engineer the ability to shoplift out of the system.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:04 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
None of what you just wrote matters. You're just creating excuses for ignoring the problem.

If my faucet is leaking and I can't fix it myself, it's still a problem whether I continue to use the faucet or not. your reasoning is, "well you're still using it, so I guess it's not a problem".
I'm not ignoring it, I specifically asked how is this shoplifting problem affecting people personally and not one person has responded

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-13-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
OMG just read the thread. Post 41.

increase of 86% since 2016 in investigation of criminal networks stealing from major retailers including Target, Home Depot, etc.

Oh I'm sure you'll have some reply like that's just investigations, or they didn't specifically mention Duane Reade. Whatever, say your stupid stuff that's not backed up in numbers or investigations or anything but your own mental un-reality. its getting tiresome

where is the head banging against the wall icon.
Has this 86% increase in retail theft affected your shopping? If so, how?

Old 10-13-2021, 10:09 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,618,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm not ignoring it, I specifically asked how is this shoplifting problem affecting people personally and not one person has responded
Are you actually implying that theft is a victimless crime, thus should be tolerated?

Old 10-13-2021, 10:14 AM

1,062 posts, read 551,087 times
Doesn't he live in the Rockaways? There probably aren't any stores there to worry about.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Are you actually implying that theft is a victimless crime, thus should be tolerated?
No, that is your perception

Just because I don't choose to spend my time making posts complaining about it doesn't mean I condone it

To me retail theft is nothing new, that's my point. And another point - everybody is conveniently forgetting that shipping delays have increased worldwide, which also contributes to delay for re-stocking the shelves.

It's so common nowadays for everyone to just jump on a bandwagon without analyzing exactly whats going on

The truth is that these are all petit larceny crimes which are misdemeanors and only punishable by up to a year in jail, people have been going in and out of the system for decades and the jail/prison system we have encourages recidivism. How do you explain repeat offenders then, before bail reform was introduced?

Old 10-13-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Doesn't he live in the Rockaways? There probably aren't any stores there to worry about.
Lol, see what people do to themselves

Comedy

Old 10-13-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Soon we'll be hearing about food deserts, pharmacy deserts, retail deserts, liquor store deserts, banking deserts.
Food deserts are a thing of the past now

People are simply starting to order their groceries online and have it delivered, doesn't matter if you live 5 miles away from a supermarket, the cheapest smartphone will get your groceries delivered to you

Old 10-13-2021, 10:22 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,780,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Back when the A train was truly dangerous my pops sucked it up and took the LIRR to the city until the trains got safer again

I don't think I've seen one person on here say how this crime has affected their routine

So...if the shoplifting is so bad like all of you say, how has it affected your shopping?
Au contraire! It has.

I had to shop more via Amazon for my mom (and making the trek to one of their lockers or hubs due to the likelihood of package theft if left out on the lobby of her bldg), or make the trek to Target (their stuff isn't nearly as locked up as DR/RA has been) or at these quasi 99 cent stores (which are crowded as heck and not a pleasant shopping experience). Where as in the past, DR/RA was closer and a more convenient spot for one stop shopping where I would earn points & get discounts.

As far as the subways are concerned, I don't take them past 6 pm if I'm out alone (so that has disrupted my routine & a bummer because I'm having to use uber more). I avoid certain stations as much as possible even if that means taking the long way to my destination. Dreamer D and I discussed on a previous thread that we're having to put a lot more thought into when we take the subway, where we take the subway, what transfers we forego (even if it would be a shorter commute) because certain transfers at certain stations are not safe.

I used to go out alone in most parts of Manhattan without any care but now, there are some spots in Manhattan that I will not venture out alone no matter what time it is & definitely not when the sun sets.

So...it's not a disruption in such a huge financial scale like your dad had to make but it is an adjustment nonetheless and causes some mental disquietude which wears on one over time. I've been more annoyed and prickly as of late because I'm having to put more & more thought into doing things while in the past, I was a lot more carefree.

And now because of these roving band of restaurant robbers, dining out is giving me pause. And that's hard on a foodie like me!

But I think you're going to dismiss all this and go pshaw! And suggest we all live in the country in a tiny house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City