Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 11:42 AM

139 posts, read 216,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
Don't be the person that reads "Shoplifting", clicks on the link, see's pictures of empty shelves, and then assumes the shelves are empty because of shoplifters.
Don't be the person on a high horse. I asked the manager at both Rite Aid and Walgreens what was up and both said they put one or two pieces of most products out at at time now because tremendous numbers of items were being stolen.

The reason for that is "because of shoplifters."

And of course, since there are so few workers, getting the shelves restocked with minimal product takes forever. The pharmacies around that area all look like they are going out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 01:34 PM

6,779 posts, read 3,040,404 times
They literally lock the ice cream up in Duane reade in Harlem. Lol.

Old 10-10-2021, 02:05 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,337,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Thing is though eejits and thieves aren't confining their activities to "da hood". They going into nice areas well below Harlem or whatever and jacking every GD store they can get into.

Have said before nearly all Rite Aid, DR, CVS and similar stores on UES are closed by 11PM. There are two DR stores that are open until 2AM but who knows how long that will last.

City and Albany are a joke with their effing "bail reform". Just look at who is robbing stores blind and that is who should be locked up, and let chips fall where they may.

But *noooo* it's a matter of "inequality" and "racism"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Seems like a Manhattan problem to me
It is not. I've seen it with the drugstores in my neighborhood. There were people stealing whatever they could steal, including school kids because there was like one or two workers in the entire store and there is more than one entrance, so if one person is at the register and a second person is assisting someone else, it's very easy to go and steal whatever and just walk out. I've even seen a bunch of school kids walk in and just steal whatever. There's now a security guard that is constantly pacing the store like a hawk.

As far as Manhattan goes, there is a CVS by 53rd and Lexington that seems to be jacked numerous times a week. I've been in there twice now just buying a few sparkling Perrier waters or whatever, only to see someone fill up a bag of various things (drinks, drugs, etc.) and walk right out. The person is almost by Park Avenue before anyone realizes it and there isn't a thing they can do about it, so it happens over and over. It's a serious problem all over, especially now that companies are struggling to meet demand. Shelves are bare in some stores for the basics.

Old 10-10-2021, 02:05 PM

169 posts, read 64,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
That’s because the word is out that everything in liberal meccas is a free-for-all. You’d be stupid not to join in.

You tell me that if you see everyone just walking out with stuff and not paying but you are going stand there to pay for yours?
umm, OR it's always been like that in those neighborhoods and not because of some silly "word being out". even when i was a teenager some twenty five years ago, i'd see the same shoplifting from asians in those areas.

it only becomes a "bigger deal" when those perps are a little further down the on the color palette. Then non-black and brown people go on their ever cyclical fear campaigns and name calling like this thread.

just like the white druggies and turnstyle jumpers who'd do their dirt right in front of police officers in manhattan and for some reason it would always be the darker perps who would miraculously get arrested. go figure. just like crack, coke rings and drug related crimes were popular as ever in bayside in the 80s and 90s but it would always be perps in southeast queens that would get busted. funny how that works eh?

Old 10-10-2021, 02:29 PM

19,081 posts, read 14,039,547 times
Wah! The world is out to get me. Cancel all laws!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-10-2021, 02:35 PM

307 posts, read 639,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygeek View Post
Don't be the person on a high horse. I asked the manager at both Rite Aid and Walgreens what was up and both said they put one or two pieces of most products out at at time now because tremendous numbers of items were being stolen.

The reason for that is "because of shoplifters."

And of course, since there are so few workers, getting the shelves restocked with minimal product takes forever. The pharmacies around that area all look like they are going out of business.
High horse.. lol

I love how people read articles in sensationalist rags like the NY Post (which blatantly embellish things - hence the picture of the empty shelves..), and then take the bait.. it's like watching a social experiment on how to provoke people...

The end result:

"Shoplifters are stealing all the inventory of NYC Drug stores!" haha.

Are shoplifters stealing more? presumably, yes.

Is this a massive issue that will mean no toothpaste left for hardworking NYC families? probably not.

Old 10-10-2021, 03:12 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,666,521 times
Shrinkage usually more from employee theft, not folks from da hood. But guess that doesnt fit OP political agenda. Need to pay employees enough so it HURTS when they are fired for stealing. LOL

Old 10-10-2021, 03:33 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,729,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Shrinkage usually more from employee theft, not folks from da hood. But guess that doesnt fit OP political agenda. Need to pay employees enough so it HURTS when they are fired for stealing. LOL
minimum wage in NYC is $15/hr

Old 10-10-2021, 03:55 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It is not. I've seen it with the drugstores in my neighborhood. There were people stealing whatever they could steal, including school kids because there was like one or two workers in the entire store and there is more than one entrance, so if one person is at the register and a second person is assisting someone else, it's very easy to go and steal whatever and just walk out. I've even seen a bunch of school kids walk in and just steal whatever. There's now a security guard that is constantly pacing the store like a hawk.

As far as Manhattan goes, there is a CVS by 53rd and Lexington that seems to be jacked numerous times a week. I've been in there twice now just buying a few sparkling Perrier waters or whatever, only to see someone fill up a bag of various things (drinks, drugs, etc.) and walk right out. The person is almost by Park Avenue before anyone realizes it and there isn't a thing they can do about it, so it happens over and over. It's a serious problem all over, especially now that companies are struggling to meet demand. Shelves are bare in some stores for the basics.
So this is a city-wide problem just because you say it's happening in your neighborhood too? I just said it sounds like mostly a Manhattan problem. Maybe for a few gentrified outer borough neighborhoods too, but that's about it.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-10-2021, 03:57 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
High horse.. lol

I love how people read articles in sensationalist rags like the NY Post (which blatantly embellish things - hence the picture of the empty shelves..), and then take the bait.. it's like watching a social experiment on how to provoke people...

The end result:

"Shoplifters are stealing all the inventory of NYC Drug stores!" haha.

Are shoplifters stealing more? presumably, yes.

Is this a massive issue that will mean no toothpaste left for hardworking NYC families? probably not.
Yeah, lets conveniently forget about the trucking issues

My friend's a trucker and he said that personally his company's 80% behind on deliveries due to understaffing

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City