Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
There are loads of middle class blacks and Puerto Ricans around the country, but I thought the OP was compariing those groups' plights in NYC, and there I do not agree. Neither is "better" than the other and therefore the OP shouldn't characterize the other gruops as being better than Puerto Ricans. He started that comparison, NOT me.
There is no mention in the original post about any group being "better" than any other.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,692 times
Squeezeboxgal, wasn't that the main point of the post? Why are PRs in the northeast doing so much worse than other ethnic groups? See the bolding below for why I found the post untrue and offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
Even African Americans, who face a lot of social issues in their community, still tend to do better than Puerto Ricans and have higher rates of education, income and health.

The reason why I am bringing all of this up is because when I go back to New Jersey every summer and see all the dilapilated rowhouses in South Trenton (where a lot of the PRicans in Trenton live) or can't go eat at a Puerto Rican restaurant in Spanish Harlem at night cuz its too dangerous (QUE:AS IF ITS NOT SOMETIMES DANGEROUS IN THE OTHER HOODS OF HARLEM TOO) (my cousin is one of the few in our community with a master's degree and lives in Tribeca and refused to take us to 'El Barrio' at night due to the reasons stated), it depresses me to know how little we have progressed in the past fifty years.

I get the discrimination, language barriers (back when the first wave occured), and lack of attention from the gov't when Puerto Ricans arrived in NYC and surrounding cities/areas contributed to their plight. But like I said, African Americans have made strides if you look at the numbers over the years. Dominicans, who despite being poorer than Puerto Ricans for the moment, seem to be having a siginificant percentage of their young people going to college (I think it's 20% of second-generation Domincans who attend college compared to like 10% of Puerto Ricans), so their status is likely to improve in the future. But why do so many Puerto Ricans seem just stuck in this cycle of poverty?

I would like any serious response to this, please.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
Quote:
LOL, I can assure you I was visiting actual Puerto Ricans, NOT Dominican immigrants, of which I realize there are many in PR. I was stayed over in 2 very clean nicely kept "shacks" that were built on family land, not government land, over 40 years ago by Puerto Ricans. They told me how the family members built these houses themselves. I know historically there's a lot of squatting going on in PR, but I dont see your point as it relates to this thread.

Like I said, the tin houses are illegal houses, actually any tin houses would not pass minimun requirements from the an inspection.

Quote:
Yes, I was though I dont see your point (Vega Alta and Rio Grande or something like that in the mountains)

Well you where in poor places, is like saying I visit Harlem and that is the only picture I have of NYC. You saw only a small part of Puerto Rico. If some person comes and stay in a bad area of NYC and gets beat up, what do you think his view of the city would be?

Quote:
Of course the crime has to do with drugs. That's what it usually has to do with. But I heard the craziest harshest crime stories about how things are there behind the scenes and away from the tourist beaches. This appeared to be nothing new.

Really like what?

Quote:
Well ya know what 99.99% of Puerto Ricans also don't believe in rape. Sorry to brake it to you, but its not just PRs from La Isla that dont believe in rape. Rape is a crime and one criminal's actions (including those horrible men who forcibly grabbed at girls etc) shouldnt be blamed on an entire ethnic group from a particular city.

You are right, i am just saying tha nuyoricans are not tipical Puerto Rican,
Let me give and example.
Everytime I say I am Puerto Rican people(here in NYC) dont believe me.
I am saying their is difference in culture, the way they act, they talk, they behave, they dress. Well in almost everything.
Lets put it this way, Puerto Rican dont considere Nuyoricans to be Puerto Ricans

Old 12-10-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
The poster I was responding to said that he is from La Isla and that there, as opposed to NY parades, they dont rape the people LOL. So I was merely pointing out that we New Yorkers also do not believe rape is OK and that a criminal's actions should not be equated to an entire group.
Again, I am just saying their are some not the same.
But again like I have said, I have a few friends(Nuyoricans) that I would never known he was a nuyorican, and guess what even he hates nuyoricans. funny

Quote:
I like all people and have spent a lot of time around black people and also Dominicans with great experiences, I just didn't like how Puerto Ricans were characterized as the most uneducated and least upwardly mobile as COMPARED to blacks and Dominicans. I just believe, based on first hand experience, it is NOT a correct characterization. I never said Puerto Ricans are better than anyone else, but do you agree with the OP that Puerto Ricans in NYC are doing worse than the other two ethnic groups he compared PRs to?
Yes. I do believe that Nuyoricans are worse.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
From your link:

"College Graduation Rates. While in Puerto Rico, according to the 2000 Census, 24.4 percent of those 25 years and older had a 4-year college degree, for Stateside Puerto Ricans the figure was only 9.9 percent. By 2003, for Stateside Puerto Ricans it increased to 13.1 percent, below the rate for Whites (26.1 percent), Blacks (14.4 percent) and Asians (43.3 percent). Among Latinos, only Mexicans (6.2 percent) fared worse than Stateside Puerto Ricans in college attainment, with the other groups having higher rates: Dominicans (10.9 percent), Cubans (19.4 percent), Central and South Americans (16.0 percent) and other Latinos (16.1 percent)."
Wow, like I said,, look at the numbers,
Puerto Rican from P.R. have a 24.4% educated(college level). Almost the same number for Whites 26.1%,
Now lets see Puerto Rican from the state 10%.
Thanks for the number it only helps my point, BIG difference between both of them...

Old 12-10-2008, 10:49 AM

Oh, and let me say this, since I have said before that nuyoricans give us a bad name, this is not entirely correct,
I am proud of Spikeboy25 and NooYowkur81, these type of people dont give us a bad name actually they help, I just hope that many others follow their path, more profesional we have the better the public view us.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Oh, and let me say this, since I have said before that nuyoricans give us a bad name, this is not entirely correct,
I am proud of Spikeboy25 and NooYowkur81, these type of people dont give us a bad name actually they help, I just hope that many others follow their path, more profesional we have the better the public view us.
Thanks for the compliment but I am actually Dominican-American. But I have Puerto-Rican family, and I have several close Nuyorican friends.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Thanks for the compliment but I am actually Dominican-American. But I have Puerto-Rican family, and I have several close Nuyorican friends.
well is normal.
I have cuban family, domincan family, and Spain family...

Cuban from my mother,
dominican from muy Aunt that married a dominicano and moved to Republica Dominicana, and My father family comes from Spain.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Squeezeboxgal, wasn't that the main point of the post? Why are PRs in the northeast doing so much worse than other ethnic groups? See the bolding below for why I found the post untrue and offensive.

"Doing worse than" is not the same as "not as good as," and I don't see anything offensive in the original post.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
"Doing worse than" is not the same as "not as good as," and I don't see anything offensive in the original post.
I also don't see anything offensive. To be sure, I'd like to thank the OP for introducing this thread and for addresssing some serious issues for the community.

If any group is not realizing its fullest potential, we all suffer - that group itself and society at large. Engaging in self-denial, feel good politics, it can't be true, pushing items under the rug, looking at fractional percentages - these will do nothing to uplift members of groups or segements of groups that ought to be able to attain the fullest offerings of the American Dream.

The OP rightfully expresses concerns, not in any mean-spirited way, but in an attempt to find answers and solutions to help the community. The answers are sometimes brutal and cold. But unless we all face them squarely, how can we even get to the starting point in moving forward?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City