Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2007, 05:36 PM

7 posts, read 36,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Guess what? The Carolinas were settled by transplants who moved here from the area of Lancaster, PA (that's why there is a Lancaster, SC) and other northern areas in the 1700s. The southerners that are here wouldn't even be southern if it was for those original northerners moving here 300 years ago. Northerners came to the south for warmer climates and longer growing seasons back then, mainly via a road called Nation Ford, which ran from PA to Atlanta. So if you are a native Carolinian, your ancestors most likely came here back then and screwed up the way of life of the Catawba Indians. You even changed things back then when you were renaming towns after towns you had come from. As far as the Civil War, more northerners actually died during the war, but the north still won, so get over it already. There are more important things to worry about besides fighting for slavery so you can have cheap labor (athough it is almost still prevalent at places like Smithfield in NC where illegals make a $1-2 an hour under miserable conditions).

Anyway, I lived in Buffalo for a while and now live in Charlotte. I love it here and as do many of my peers who used to live there.
I personally cannot be held responsible for my ancestors (Indian included) anymore than my current is responsible for me, myself and I. Survival is one thing ....Greed is another. I'm what you call a "MUTT"...alittle of this and alittle of that running thru my veins. Heck, sometimes I feel like I'm fighting with myself.

Anyway, I live in the northern area and have family members east, west, north and south that swear their area of the Good USA is better than mine. I always say check it out and to each its own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,645 times
I moved to Wilson, NC about 4 years ago and cannot save quick enough to get out of this state. I have never met such ignorant, prejudice people like true southerners. They just hate Yankees. Looking to move back to CT or NY. It will be nice to be around people who can actually speak proper English and spell.
It's a problem when my my daughter cant even understand her teacher when she talks.
Later NC!!!
And for those who hate all the Yankees moving to NC, get used to it, it seems more and more are coming everyday. Maybe they should move out.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:22 AM

14 posts, read 56,365 times
I'm sorry you've run into that problem, but it seems the prevailant attitude of so many people living south of Maryland. I now live in Charlottesville, VA, run into people with the same bad attitude daily, and am so sick and tired of the unfriendliness. I'm going to relocate and CAN'T WAIT to get myself outta here!
And yes, I do know that there are "good and welcoming" people in the south, but where are they?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn242 View Post
Most of the state is economically deprived but stunningly beautiful. .... 2nd home market is driving up prices anywhere inside of a 3 hr drive to NYC, killing the locals, and insuring that folks like us won't return. mn242
Add me to the list of people who cannot afford to live in my home town of Rhinebeck. It was gentrified in the 70s and anyone who wasn't associated with IBM or weekenders was pushed aside. At least I have memories of the Hudson Valley.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,483 times
I moved from NY to st augustine in sept..as much as I love it here...I miss many many things about NY..especially the NY attitude towards life....and the quickness and wit of the nyers ....florida is beautiful but I love NY...and if I could afford to move back I would

Old 05-26-2008, 08:00 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
I lived in NY state all my life until 93. Then, I moved to a small town in central Florida (East Coast). It was like moving into a 1940's film. Even the larger cities nearby, Melbourne and Vero Beach were not much better. I couldn't believe it actually.
There was alot of prejudice, which I never grew up around. Sporadically, but mostly tolerance. There were alot of rednecks, who couldn't speak plain english words very well, and alot of bible people, who were interested in converting anyone they could.
After 4 years, we moved to the Southwest. I think NY state is the most intelligent state I've ever lived, with alot to do and alot to see. The only place south I could possibly live would be Fort Lauderdale. The southwest has alot of drawbacks, too, but it isn't as bad as Florida. The southern people hate northerners and will tell you. I worked as a nurse and I would go into people's houses, mostly okay--but one guy, he's dying and all he can say is "You cracker." Imagine that being the only thing on your mind at the end like that.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:17 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,290 times
Smile I didn't expect to get so emotional...

Quote:
Originally Posted by missNY View Post
Any yankee down in NC feel like me?? Something is missing here that just isn't home. Lived in the lower hudson valley all my life, got tired of the rat race wanted better life for family....You all know what I mean right?? I even wrote the governor for squashing out the hard working middle class, never heard back. I have been here w/my husband and daughter for 8 LONG months, he's doing better than her and I but we are already putting house back on market. Please NC people when you read this don't get mad I DON"T HATE your state but the majority of you HATE us northerners and I'm sick of it! Guess what you won, we are going back home to kids playing outdoors and neighbors chatting in the front yard and we'll pay through our ***! And yeah some of us may be rude maybe because you are so rude to us, (rolling your eyes as you here my "accent", saying "you won't hold it against me" when I say I'm from NY. I guess I'm bitter, when you get that mostly everyday, how would you feel. Anyway, thanks for letting me sound off and if anybody thinks the grass is greener in NC, think again, don't come here until your kids are grown and you are prepared to live in solitude w/your spouse or significant other.. BYE BYE ignorancy, hello integellency!!! Can't wait to get back, hope my house sells soon!!! I LOVE NY!!!!

OMG, are we twins separated at birth, lol?? Your post made my eyes tear up because finally someone else who left NY had my experience!! Everyone I knew who moved from NY seem to love their new adopted state (AL, AZ, VA, NC, SC, TX, FL, MD). I NEVER did. In 1998, I saw the writing on the wall against middle-class, unending rising cost of living here in NY so I moved away to TX. Within the first week everything went down hill in my life; sent me into a functional depression. Seven months later I burst thru the fog and moved back to NYC. A few years later, the other states seemed so idyllic with their low cost of living and slow pace life so I took jobs out of NY. I have since lived in FL, CO, Louisiana, and other places in the midwest. All I can say is that although NY cost a lot in "money" to live here but those other places cost your soul, intelligience, diversity (not just race & ethnicity but also diversity of thoughts and life experiences), and exteme BOREDOM. Personally, I'd give up money any day over giving up my soul. Also many places in this country also lack interesting geography and natural beauty. CA is naturally beautiful but even it can't compare to the soul that NY state has. NY not only has the most exciting city (NYC) in the country but also pristine beauty throughout the state: beautiful mountains, lakes, and rivers. I am back in NY and I have no plans to ever move away again.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:37 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,856 times
I think we have triplets! I feel the same way! I moved from NY to TX just a few months ago and I am MISERABLE!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait to get out of here and get back to NY. I have lived in NY all my life and I cannot BELIEVE I let my husband convince me to leave. What was I thinking?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:07 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
NY to Texas--You have my complete sympathy. You feel like you're living in another country and you are.
Every state has its' own vibe;if that vibe doesn't work for you-it is pure h*ll.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:43 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,587,836 times
Default New York v Floridaaaaaaa

This "senior" who originally came from The Bronx, NY, moved to New Jersey and now live in Floridaaaaa, wishes with all her heart that she could go back to New York. First of all, when you among people who share similar things food/neighborhoods/schools its a ice breaker for most people. I've been to NC, SC and parts in between, yet give me NYC......since a young girl, I have loved Manhattan, there are just sooo many different parts to NY that it would take the rest of my lifetime to see it all, and yet there are places in NY I've never been.

I hope that before too many years and if the economy will pick up that I will be able to leave the South oh, the heat, the sun, the rude people. Today I drove home from Walmart and did not see a single person outside in a 8 mile drive, where was everyone? They were in the A/C homes not daring to come out because of the heat (90). Yet these same people say they love FL. but what kind of life is it that because you'll get a heat stroke if you're out more than 20 mins. most of these people hate to admit they are stuck here and are as miserable as everyone.

NY is just a different state of mind, at least you have 4 seasons, and since I hate the heat, I would love to walk in Central Park around Sept/Oct, go to Radio Music Hall at Christmas and spend July 4th up in Riverdale to watch the fireworks over the Palisades.

Yup, New York is the place to be..........my hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York