Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:34 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,800,688 times

Advertisements

You don't hear "ma'am" a whole lot in Wisconsin. However, I don't mind at all if someone calls me Ma'am. I think it's a nice way to greet someone, personally. Much better than "sh!thead" or "d!ck for brains."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 11:41 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,030,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Don't I wish people would call me ma'am? Around here lately the wait staff at most restaurants have switched to "you guys" in referring to myself and my husband. When I am addressed in that manner, they have just served me the last meal I will be eating with them. I am tired of being called a grotesque murderer. That is the original meaning of the word "guys."

The really bad thing about it is that I have told some of them the meaning of the word guys and they look at you like you have two heads and have lost your mind. Where did all this rudeness come from? I worked with the public for 28 years and I assure you that if a person let me know something offended them, it did not come out of my mouth again while they were in the room. I would never have suggested to them that it should not offend them. A person gets to decide for themselves what is offensive.

I have a friend that says she tells the wait staff she does not want to be called "guys" and if she hears the word again, she doesn't leave a tip. I would think that doing that would make me as rude as they are. I just don't go there again. I have been thinking about giving the manager a call and let the manager know why I won't be back in their restaurant. I doubt that would make a difference though. If they have employees that say to you, "I didn't mean it that way" instead of apologizing, I doubt there is much hope anything will change.
wow...it is easy to find offense everywhere is you are looking so hard for it...

Old 03-23-2015, 02:42 PM

20,419 posts, read 14,729,279 times
I don't object to the sentiment. It's the word "ma'am" I cannot stand. There are words in the English language that I am fond of, or that I hate, purely based on phonetics. To me, "ma'am" sounds like the bleating of a goat or something. I just don't like the sound of the word. There are plenty of words I either love or hate to use just because of the way they sound.

I don't get nasty with strangers for saying it or anything, but my friends know this about me, that I don't like that word.

*shrug*

EDIT: As a fan of the horror genre, I would perhaps in fact prefer to be called something that is a reference to a grotesque murderer. At least that doesn't sound like reference to livestock.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:28 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,468,340 times
You'll know why women don't like being called "ma'am" the first time the cute barista you thought might be checking you out, even though she's 15 years younger than you, hands you your coffee and addresses you as "Sir."

Old 03-24-2015, 07:57 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,030,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
You'll know why women don't like being called "ma'am" the first time the cute barista you thought might be checking you out, even though she's 15 years younger than you, hands you your coffee and addresses you as "Sir."
haha, that does sum it up nicely..

Old 03-24-2015, 10:37 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,836,209 times
I love being called ma'am. I lived in the south for 15 years, and I miss that dearly.

I live in Seattle now, and here calling someone ma'am is considered cheeky. In the south it is a sign of respect, my daughter called her teacher "ma'am" on the first day of school, and the teacher got pissed, she thought my daughter was being mouthy.

To me, calling someone ma'am is a sign of respect.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:54 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,210,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
You don't hear "ma'am" a whole lot in Wisconsin. However, I don't mind at all if someone calls me Ma'am. I think it's a nice way to greet someone, personally. Much better than "sh!thead" or "d!ck for brains."
While I am not a fan of ma'am, especially for women under 60, I agree that is it much better than "sh!thead" or "d!ck for brains." Thankfully, I have never been called either of those last two terms.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:10 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,437,403 times
I secretly take offense bec I don't even look like a ma'am...it is an age thing.

But, I can not care about what others have been taught as truly polite in the
South or the military. I get it.

Gotta pick your battles. Let the small stuff go.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,437,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
wow...it is easy to find offense everywhere is
you are looking so hard for it...
Ain't that the truth about so much!
Spent hrs with a friend yesterday listening about trash on the streets and parks.
Finally, I said, "Alrighty then...let's move on from trash..."
She got it...her life is miserable bec she is always seeing trash! I mean, really.
Poor thing.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:09 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,703,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I don't object to the sentiment. It's the word "ma'am" I cannot stand. There are words in the English language that I am fond of, or that I hate, purely based on phonetics. To me, "ma'am" sounds like the bleating of a goat or something. I just don't like the sound of the word. There are plenty of words I either love or hate to use just because of the way they sound.

I don't get nasty with strangers for saying it or anything, but my friends know this about me, that I don't like that word.

*shrug*

EDIT: As a fan of the horror genre, I would perhaps in fact prefer to be called something that is a reference to a grotesque murderer. At least that doesn't sound like reference to livestock.
Can I call you arsehat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships