Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 09:34 AM

132 posts, read 305,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
I've had some womyn tell me not to call them ma'am, they are miss or mrs (as if I'm supposed to know especially if I'm not face-to-face with you). A few think the word ma'am makes them sound old and so you're aging them when you say ma'am. Remember most ladies want to stay young forever, and are ruffled once if someone "ages" them by treating, saying, acting, or thinking otherwise. Start saying miss or missus and you'd have these old goats (playing playing) drooling on themselves that someone thinks they're a young lady again. Remember the McDonald's commercial when a womyn was going into work and a man said excuse me ma'am? And during her whole ride up to the elevator and walk to her office she was making herself crazy with wondering when did she become a ma'am, and does she really look that old and stuff, and then she was happy again when another man called her miss? Yea it's like that with a lot of females.
Of course women want to stay young. That's the only time that society seems to value them! I don't know if this comes as a surprise to anyone, but we live in a really ageist society where youth is king. We heap all types of scorn on older people up to and including segregating them from eveyone else in the own communities. We colloquially call perfectly healthy folks in their 40s and 50s "old" and you're considered a senior citizen at 50! So, Tom Cruise is a senior citizen? We always say women are past their expiration date at 40, sometimes even 30 and we consider women who don't look 18 anymore to somehow be losing their looks. I have observed and heard all of this not only in the public discourse and from the hollywood media machine, but from ordinary people like us posting on this forum.

Women get the worse of it, because the truth is women are primarily valued for reproduction, youth and beauty which are all intertwined. Men are valued for what they do, which is not dependent on reproduction because they can reproduce forever. Getting older is not considered as shameful for a man. In fact, it helps him. He gets better at what he does, he's considered distinguished looking for his gray hair and character lines. For a woman, it may as well be the end. Her social value declines when she is not seen as desirable. Especially if she was not fortunate enough to have children.

All of the factors I mentioned contribute to the reason so many women bristle at being called ma'am. It's a term widely known to be attached to ageing and that makes women feel old. I happen to know that there are quite a few men that feel the same about sir, even though strictly speaking, sir is not attached to age per say. Men are allowed to age, women in many ways are punished for aging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 AM

301 posts, read 330,132 times
I don't know what's wrong about it. When Americans refer to me as to ma'am, miss or lady I find it extremely cute. Maybe it's because I grew up in Russia where men would rather call you a whоre than a lady and think they just said a cool thing.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,124,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I've read a few anecdotes from men about getting bad looks or even being told not to address someone as "ma'am."

So what's the BFD? Why do some take offense to being shown respect?
I think it has a lot to do with the age of the woman being referred to as ma'am. It tends to make her sound like an old woman.

When I was first called ma'am, I thought it made me sound old. Then I realized that I was old.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:09 AM

2,260 posts, read 4,770,218 times
I didn't read through the entire thread, but hasn't France been turning the screws on getting words like ma'am and miss etc...banned?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,171,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I didn't read through the entire thread, but hasn't France been turning the screws on getting words like ma'am and miss etc...banned?
Sounds like overzealous feminism at work.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:55 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,532,453 times
It's like the Geico commercial where the lizard calls the old ladies golfing old, they get all huffy and he says experienced.

In a rude world women gripping about Maam is a joke.

This country is so damn PC you can't even speak the truth without someone getting the panties in a wad. Morbidly obese is now overweight.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:29 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,171,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
It's like the Geico commercial where the lizard calls the old ladies golfing old, they get all huffy and he says experienced.

In a rude world women gripping about Maam is a joke.

This country is so damn PC you can't even speak the truth without someone getting the panties in a wad. Morbidly obese is now overweight.
So true.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 PM

224 posts, read 357,919 times
I'm 18, and once some guy called me ma'am. I never felt so old in my life.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:16 AM

175 posts, read 280,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.U.E.E.N View Post
I'm 18, and once some guy called me ma'am. I never felt so old in my life.
This is a regional thing. Where I grew up, Texas, every female is referred to as "ma'am", from the little old ladies to the teens working behind the counter.

The first time I heard people address younger women by "Miss" is when I moved to NY. I hate it. It sounds patronizing to me. Not to mention it is far too much work for the stranger who is just trying to be polite to decipher the relative age and correlating title of "miss" or "ma'am" without insulting anyone.

I like it better in Texas where you use the same title "ma'am" or "sir" regardless of age.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,217,056 times
I never knew 'ma'am' had any connotations of referring to an older woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships