Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,337,991 times

Advertisements

if you go to the southern US states, you'll be called ma'am or sir more often...it's nothing to get bent out of shape about...it's a habit there, don't go visiting there if you don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 AM

994 posts, read 1,594,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I do it on a subconscious level, I don't really think about it, but I was raised to address women I don't know as either "miss" or "ma'am." If I almost bump into a lady when I'm walking I'll say "Oh, pardon me ma'am." If I'm finishing a phone call with a woman I'll usually end it with "Thank you ma'am, have a good day." I've never gotten a bad reaction from it (I don't think so at least) but I've read a few anecdotes from men about getting bad looks or even being told not to address someone as "ma'am."

So what's the BFD? Why do some take offense to being shown respect?
A lot of people in general don't like being called by sir or madam because it probably reminds them of telemarketers and call center people! Personally I don't like it because I find it annoying; in my opinion someone who says these a lot is a more conservative person (not in the political sense) and this kind of person is someone I usually avoid. I know I've made some people here mad by saying that, but I'm being legit here. I don't use those words since both sir and madam were originally titles for nobility (along with Mister and Missus) and I don't recognize anyone as nobility. It might be a regional thing but I do know that the Confederate and southern states say them a lot more than most others.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:11 AM

19,758 posts, read 20,322,216 times
I actually kind of like being called ma'am...

Old 08-18-2012, 02:17 PM

415 posts, read 616,725 times
I have no idea why some women get offended over "ma'am." I still get called "Lil Lady" when I go back home - and home is Southern Nevada. I've also noticed some Utahans use the same vernacular. I told some people that I grew up being called "Lil Lady" by the locals in Vegas as a kid and they told me I should have been butthurt over it, that it is a "southern" thing and is "insulting." None of the Nevadans and Utahans in question came from the south though, so I think it is a holdover from when both states were more rural. I don't mind it. "Ma'am" sometimes does make me feel old though.

I think it depends on how one was raised - if people used such terms. I was raised with it and don't get the offense, and I'm not from the south. Everyone from gangers to teachers to cops to the pastor at church would call me that, and they were not from the south either. And it was never said in a condescending tone. I still get called "lil lady" at times because even though I'm 29 I still look 16. I was last called "lil lady" by a guy who was obviously Mormon and native to Utah in St. George when I last drove through there - in 2011.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:15 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,046,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
I was last called "lil lady" by a guy who was obviously Mormon and native to Utah in St. George when I last drove through there - in 2011.
Wow! I've spent my entire life in Utah (northern, though, as opposed to southern) and I've never been called "lil lady." Heaven help the man who ever calls me that!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,430,124 times
Here in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic area:

"Miss" = young lady
"Ma'am" = older lady

I think that's why some women in my part of the country would rather be called Miss vs. Ma'am, whether they're married or not.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:46 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,530,676 times
When someone calls me Ma'am, it makes me feel old and I don't like that.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:52 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,168,443 times
I grew up, married and had my family in the Western part of North America. Politeness was expected, but no titles. Now I live in the Deep South and I get called Ma'am all the time. I also get carded all the time. My 15 year old is addressed as ma'am by young children. It is how every one in my community is raised. In fact, it is expected in my kids school and is something they had to get used to. My teenage son has been in trouble several times for not saying "Yes Ma'am". He wasn't being rude at all; it just isn't part of his speech pattern. It would be strange for me to suddenly expect my kids to refer to me as something I have not raised them to do, so I don't expect my kids to refer to me or my husband as sir or ma'am, but I don't have a problem with it either. I do wonder if they too will be told, "don't call me THAT!" when traveling to other areas of the country.

On another note...there are plenty of rants filled with complaints of people being rude, no one has manners anymore, kids have no respect these days etc. etc. etc. So, I do find it surprising that people who are expressing politeness by using terms of respect are seen in such a negative light

Old 08-23-2012, 01:39 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,108,116 times
It's a double standard, to be honest. When I'm called ma'am it makes me feel older, and since I'm not yet married it's not correct to assume I am a ma'am.

However, when I was in my early 20s and worked in retail I hatedbeing called "Miss." It made me feel belittled.

When I'm honest with myself about it, what else are people supposed to call me? It boils down to people trying to show me respect. It's my own fault if I allow it to make me feel a certain way.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,760,617 times
Yeah, not a fan of "ma'am," but I'm in my 30s and "miss" would just be silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships