Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,863,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Maam is usually referring to someone who is a grandmom.
Wrong.

Quote:
That's how I feel about being called SIR from someone I;m going on dates with
Maybe if you dated in your own age group you wouldn't have that problem.

Quote:
A female i know who is 36 was referred to as Maam and didn't like it at all
As has been said, it's a regional thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
You would never be called ma'am in Australia, in a month of Sundays.
As has been said, it's a regional thing. Every day I'm called, "Ma'am", "Mummy", "Missus", "Miss" and a whole bunch more but not one of them bothers me and never has, whatever age I've been. The only time the hairs on the back of my neck start bristling is when someone calls me, "Hey, A-Hole".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,296,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I do it on a subconscious level, I don't really think about it, but I was raised to address women I don't know as either "miss" or "ma'am." If I almost bump into a lady when I'm walking I'll say "Oh, pardon me ma'am." If I'm finishing a phone call with a woman I'll usually end it with "Thank you ma'am, have a good day." I've never gotten a bad reaction from it (I don't think so at least) but I've read a few anecdotes from men about getting bad looks or even being told not to address someone as "ma'am."

So what's the BFD? Why do some take offense to being shown respect?
You probably missed that thread where women expressed how they felt insulted when they were called females, girls, gals, etc. And it was a long thread too.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:13 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,412,901 times
It does NOT make US feel old, cripes, age is a manmade number that others have put too much importance on.

I don't care if I am called Ma'am but I prefer not to be called Miss since I am married however I do not make an issue of it if I am referred to as Miss.

No biggie to me at all either way and I have always been taught to refer to others in a respectful manor so I myself use those references with someone I do not personally know.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:49 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,723,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
You probably missed that thread where women expressed how they felt insulted when they were called females, girls, gals, etc. And it was a long thread too.
'females' does seem odd to me, it sounds very clinical. for some reason I notice black people using it more than others, idk why

Old 08-16-2012, 01:27 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,377,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I do it on a subconscious level, I don't really think about it, but I was raised to address women I don't know as either "miss" or "ma'am." If I almost bump into a lady when I'm walking I'll say "Oh, pardon me ma'am." If I'm finishing a phone call with a woman I'll usually end it with "Thank you ma'am, have a good day." I've never gotten a bad reaction from it (I don't think so at least) but I've read a few anecdotes from men about getting bad looks or even being told not to address someone as "ma'am."

So what's the BFD? Why do some take offense to being shown respect?
Seeing that ma'am sounds so much like Man...

TJENKINS: Thanks Ma'am.

RANDOM LADY: WHAT CHU JUS CALL ME?! YOU THINK I'M A MAN?! OH NO YOU DINT-INT JUS CALL ME A MAN! LOOK AT MAH ASS!!! LOOK AT MY BOOBS!!! YOU STILL THINK I'M A MAN? (strips down) LOOK AT THIS. I'M ALL WOMAN BABY. STICK YOUR FINGER IN IT!!!

R.I.P. TJenkins' virginity.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:45 AM

676 posts, read 1,264,682 times
Being called ma'am doesn't make me feel old. However when the kid at the cash register at the supermarket told me I looked at lot like his friend's mom, that did make me feel old! But a lot of my friends do have kids that age. He seemed to really like that friend & his family, so I chose to take it as a compliment!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:25 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Im of the age where people are calling me "sir". A bit jarring....

Yes I still call ladies "ma'am" and I also hold the door open.

Believe it or not I have had some glares on that as I guess its considered un-PC for a certain type of feminist. Mostly though when I do the woman is OK and says thank you.

Good old fashioned common courtesy never hurts..

Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 PM

88,873 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It makes us feel OLD! That being said - I've never been offended by it and would never make a big deal out of it - but it does make you feel old...
That's it, especially the first few times it happens. I was SO PI$$ED off the first time some little twit did it to me. I was only 28 years old or so, and she was this little fetus, maybe high-school age, working in the deli. And called me "Ma'am". I wanted to reach over the counter and slap her upside her silly head.

But, I got over it. And now I'm in my fifties and it doesn't sound so bad. As a matter of fact, if someone calls me "Miss" now, I am very suspicious of their motives for using such flattery.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:05 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,330,337 times
I'm addressed as "Ma'am" all the time and it doesn't bother me at all. It's a courtesy title with no negative intentions whatsoever.

Occasionally I am addressed as "Miss." Since the norm here in the South is "Ma'am," I usually wonder if the speaker calling me "Miss" is a transplant. (But again...just a courtesy title with no negative intentions.)

Old 08-17-2012, 09:50 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,425,443 times
Exclamation exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It makes us feel OLD! That being said - I've never been offended by it and would never make a big deal out of it - but it does make you feel old...
I remember the first time someone called me 'Sir'...OMG... I ran home did a facial and dyed my hair. I was totally in denial of being anything other than 21 years old....LOLOL....
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships