Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:46 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,663,494 times

Advertisements

Yes Ma'am, Thankyou Ma'am, etc have never been a problem for me with the ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 PM

3,987 posts, read 5,019,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I admit that's the only time it gives me pause. I figured it had to do with not wanting to feel "old" but darn it, I say just own your age! Maybe it's a cultural change... I feel like back in the day it was less regional and throughout the US you generally said "ma'am." Nowadays everyone tries to fight off the inevitable.

Regarding men not having age-specific salutations: around here I think it's more common for younger folks to address men as "sir" when they seem older than them. Personally I like it when someone calls me "sir." It makes me feel mature and whatnot, lol.

I think the most important thing is the tone and sincerity. I don't use "ma'am" sarcastically or as a substitute for "old maid." That may be why I've never really gotten a bad reaction from it.
AMEN, Sir!! When I was younger, I did think you should address women older than myself as Ma'am. But now, and b/c I've used it for so long, I just address any woman as Ma'am if that's the situation. And you're so right: tone & sincerity are important, as with anything really.

I know what you mean about others calling you Sir...I do feel that way about Ma'am. I've never taken it as an offense. And it's just so common, here in Texas, to have anyone call me that. I think if someone is trying to find the proper salutation to a stranger and out of respect, they say Ma'am or Sir, then the recipient should be flattered they were trying, even if it made them feel old. JMO...

Old 08-15-2012, 12:50 PM

399 posts, read 705,620 times
It makes a woman feel "old". However, I've learnt in the southern states it is very common and I use it all the time to every woman, no matter their age. I think it's a sign of respect. Just like "yes, sir". So I don't take offense to it any longer. I'm from the north where they don't say that. LOL But here in the south ... it's another story!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:50 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,123,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
in a nutshell^^^

married or not, you only get called ma'am if you are older. not many woman likes to be reminded that they are seen as older.
It's typically used for adult women over the age of 18. So women who are 18+ get called ma'am or maybe Miss. I've been called this since i was 17 years old. I've even had elderly women(70+) call me ma'am and I could be their granddaughter

Old 08-15-2012, 12:53 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,797,212 times
Quote:
I do it on a subconscious level, I don't really think about it, but I was raised to address women I don't know as either "miss" or "ma'am." If I almost bump into a lady when I'm walking I'll say "Oh, pardon me ma'am." If I'm finishing a phone call with a woman I'll usually end it with "Thank you ma'am, have a good day." I've never gotten a bad reaction from it (I don't think so at least) but I've read a few anecdotes from men about getting bad looks or even being told not to address someone as "ma'am."

So what's the BFD? Why do some take offense to being shown respect?
If you address a woman as ma'am and she is put out by it, that probably means that she finds you attractive and doesn't consider herself too old to sleep with you.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
It's typically used for adult women over the age of 18. So women who are 18+ get called ma'am or maybe Miss. I've been called this since i was 17 years old. I've even had elderly women(70+) call me ma'am and I could be their granddaughter
I've heard multiple times that in parts of the South it's common to call every woman ma'am, even a ten year old girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
If you address a woman as ma'am and she is put out by it, that probably means that she finds you attractive and doesn't consider herself too old to sleep with you.
Haha, guess if I'm ever looking for cougars in the Northeast I'll use "ma'am" as my test.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,123,287 times
Quote:
I've heard multiple times that in parts of the South it's common to call every woman ma'am, even a ten year old girl!
It's like that in the midwest too. (Never witnessed a 10 year old being called ma'am, though but maybe a 16 year old) Especially in customer service. I am 23 years old and sometimes I get called 'young lady', 'Miss', or 'Ma'am' by strangers. It's a crapshoot. It depends on the person, maybe to some I look a little mature or younger. Or maybe it has nothing to do with age.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:08 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No, it's not.

Again, this is a regional thing.

Try living in Texas, the south or the midwest and forgetting your manners - you'd soon be a social outcast without them among young women of quality.
Sorry, not true at all.

This mostly applies to the older generation, not younger.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Sorry, not true at all.

This mostly applies to the older generation, not younger.
We will just have to agree to disagree that this is a "generational" thing

Old 08-15-2012, 01:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
To some women, especially single women, when men start calling them ma'am, it signals that they're not longer viewed as young, but that they've transitioned into some nebulous category that sounds slightly dowdy and old.
Ding ding ding!

When someone calls me ma'am, I think crap I need to get some better anti-aging products, mine aren't working!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships