Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 06:31 PM

43 posts, read 127,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I do it on a subconscious level, I don't really think about it, but I was raised to address women I don't know as either "miss" or "ma'am." If I almost bump into a lady when I'm walking I'll say "Oh, pardon me ma'am." If I'm finishing a phone call with a woman I'll usually end it with "Thank you ma'am, have a good day." I've never gotten a bad reaction from it (I don't think so at least) but I've read a few anecdotes from men about getting bad looks or even being told not to address someone as "ma'am."

So what's the BFD? Why do some take offense to being shown respect?
Im surprised you made this thread! I have never heard of anyone having a problem with being called ma'am. I think its adorable and respectful to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetnights View Post
This is a regional thing. Where I grew up, Texas, every female is referred to as "ma'am", from the little old ladies to the teens working behind the counter.

The first time I heard people address younger women by "Miss" is when I moved to NY. I hate it. It sounds patronizing to me. Not to mention it is far too much work for the stranger who is just trying to be polite to decipher the relative age and correlating title of "miss" or "ma'am" without insulting anyone.

I like it better in Texas where you use the same title "ma'am" or "sir" regardless of age.
Bingo I can spot a Texan in CO quick my wife and Mom thought it was great coming from So Cal

Old 03-29-2013, 06:39 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
"Ma'am" signifies that the woman is aging. People don't usually say that to younger women. Look how women are judged & treated when they start aging, no wonder they have a problem with being called that. They're told they lose any importance they may have had when they start aging.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Ma'am is taken by some to mean, wow, now I look middle aged. Those hung up on aging might take it personally, but its not meant to label anyone really. In stores if the help says, can I help you ma'am, its really no different than saying, can I help you sir. There is nothing disrespectful about calling a woman ma'am. Young girls might once have been called miss, but I'm not sure if they are still even called that anymore. I've seen women in their 20's called ma'am too. Wait till they start calling ya elderly or a senior. Look how they are judged and treated!

Last edited by todd00; 03-29-2013 at 07:01 PM..

Old 03-30-2013, 05:13 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
I hate it! To me it sounds like a western school marm, I wish we had a different word, lol. I don't mind it in the south, as every female gets called ma'am, but here in the northeast you hit a certain age and magically go from "miss" to ma'am. I give a secret bonus tip to waiters and waitresses who call me "miss".

Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Other than addressing military officers as sir or ma'am, I don't
see the necessity of including such when addressing anyone else.
I get by just as easy saying, "thank-you" or "thank-you very
much" . Keeping my manners without the extra add-on BUT if
you're going to throw that in my face, expect it to be thrown
back at you

Old 03-31-2013, 02:16 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I hate it! To me it sounds like a western school marm, I wish we had a different word, lol. I don't mind it in the south, as every female gets called ma'am, but here in the northeast you hit a certain age and magically go from "miss" to ma'am. I give a secret bonus tip to waiters and waitresses who call me "miss".
It's kind of funny because miss used to be construed as a subtle come-on, because it's a word that denotes availability. The same with the french, mademoiselle.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I do it on a subconscious level, I don't really think about it, but I was raised to address women I don't know as either "miss" or "ma'am." If I almost bump into a lady when I'm walking I'll say "Oh, pardon me ma'am." If I'm finishing a phone call with a woman I'll usually end it with "Thank you ma'am, have a good day." I've never gotten a bad reaction from it (I don't think so at least) but I've read a few anecdotes from men about getting bad looks or even being told not to address someone as "ma'am."

So what's the BFD? Why do some take offense to being shown respect?
It makes us feel old. No other reason.

Being from Texas, I "ma'am" and "sir" any adult that I don't know unless the person is clearly quite young, in which case I refer to them as "Miss" or "Young man".

Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 PM

2,849 posts, read 4,520,659 times
agreed - it makes us feel old. ma'am to me is my 80+ yr old grandmother, i have MANY MANY years before i get to that age.

i have a baby face. at the age of 21, i was often told i looked like i was 13. don't call me ma'am. do i LOOK like a ma'am? i've noticed over the years, the amount of people that call me ma'am has reduced (thank gawd).

Old 04-03-2013, 11:47 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
I recall some women getting mad or sort of uptight at me for holding the door open for them. Others are gracious about it. Im sort of old-school about this.

I use maam occasionaly, but its sort of a 'southernism' to me. We didnt use it much up in Chicago, from what I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships