Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 08:37 PM

30,357 posts, read 23,827,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
This neighbor tries to say my cat is invading his personal property.

How should I approach the situation?

The wall is between my backyard and his.
Alright, you asked for how to approach the situation, not be told a thousand times "keep your cat inside".

As someone else suggested, have him write in and find out what will be done about a cat walking on the wall. See how far he gets with it.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I vote to get rid of the cat. Cats don't obey commands like a dog. When I watch them walk, it's reminds me of a prissy & entitled brat.
Is this a joke post, or are you actually projecting your inadequacies on a cat?

Old 01-05-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well I can speak for my dog that got herself hurt trying to jump at cats through the window. She never did it with a squirrel, bird, other dog walking by, etc. My dog was totally under my control...IN MY HOUSE. The cats were running loose, totally out of anyone's control.
No. She wasn't under your control. The fact that she got hurt shows that she was not under your control. Just because a dog is inside doesn't mean it's controlled.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:53 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,913,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No. She wasn't under your control. The fact that she got hurt shows that she was not under your control. Just because a dog is inside doesn't mean it's controlled.
No you are right. she was not under my control. But she was contained so she didn't hurt or bother other people. Dogs are animals. If their people aren't around, they get into stuff. They are always animals...but if their owner is around and they are trained, you can recall them. But if you aren't there..weee free time...

Ask any dog trainer.

I must mention I lived in an old house with old single paned windows. But so did a lot of people. And I talked to THREE other people whose dog jumped up on the window over a cat and needed emergency vet care.

Dogs are dogs. Cats are cats. No matter what. But at least with a dog, if you are right there, you can control them. Do cats come when called? Sit? Stay? Etc? Nope. But when you aren't there, animals are animals.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:35 PM

579 posts, read 524,031 times
Quote:
And I talked to THREE other people whose dog jumped up on the window over a cat and needed emergency vet care.
How many have jumped at squirrels!

It's always cats that are the problem with dog behaviour on these boards. No one ever claims it's a squirrel or a raccoon or a possum. or a delivery man, or a mailman, or a neighbor. Or another dog. It's always the cats that are the problem.

No, the problem is THE DOG!

Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,399,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post

It's always cats that are the problem with dog behaviour on these boards. No one ever claims it's a squirrel or a raccoon or a possum.
Our dogs hunt bear.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:40 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,399,583 times
Quote:

It's always cats that are the problem with dog behaviour on these boards. No one ever claims it's a squirrel or a raccoon or a possum. or a delivery man, or a mailman, or a neighbor. Or another dog. It's always the cats that are the problem.

No, the problem is THE DOG!
I think it is because people feel someone owns the cat.

That is not true with the other wildlife you mentioned.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:25 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,739,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
a fence legally belongs to both parties

the cat is entitled to walk on the fence
If the fence was paid for by only one party, it belongs to that person, assuming it is strictly on his property. I have seen neighboring houses with TWO fences installed along the same line. Not a bad idea.

Keep the pets in their owners' yards. I am fed up with cat spray and dog poop elsewhere. That includes public land or sidewalks and paths. Not to mention yowling tom cats, dug-up gardens, kneejerk barking because something, somewhere moved. And birds killed just for catty (or doggy) fun.

We had two dogs with extremely high prey drive for both birds and cats. We always had them leashed or kenneled when outside. The ONLY casualties--one bird, one mouse--happened when a dogsitter who was less than vigilant walked them. Never when we were in charge. It CAN be managed. The owner just has to make the effort to do so. I admit that when cats sauntered onto OUR property and sprayed everything, it was mighty tempting to just "let dogs do what dogs do". But I knew our dogs would be persecuted.

Hav-A-Hart is your friend.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:31 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,349,576 times
How completely inconsiderate to let your pet roam in other people's spaces. That's extremely rude.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:36 PM

318 posts, read 373,678 times
Quote:
But you see, this is what's interesting about cats.

We didn't domesticate them.

Researchers say they domesticated themselves. They chose to live along side humans. So they are a part of the balance of nature. Choosing to latch onto another species whose lifestyle/agriculture provided them with a ready food source. It happens in nature all the time with other species. Remora for example. Barnicles.

It's easy to forget that humans are part of the natural world the way we live now but we are.

Does that happen all that often? Really? You have that many cats roaming around? Pulling plants up. I have a garden, I have 3 cats and I don't see it happen as often as some people claim it does.

And imagine all the poop from birds and rodents and insects that happen in your yard. Thank god for rain.

Not strays, A full on colony. I removed 11 cats from this colony and closed it down. Kept two of the younger catlings. The two I kept are very afraid of humans except me. And they are hardwired for the outdoors.
Not really to me, but to others. I'm a lazy gardener, I like perennials I just need to split/thin out very few years. When they come back they're lush, and the soil isn't all soft and fluffy, but dense. Cats don't want to dig through dense plants or grass with firm soil. People who plant small annuals, in freshly tilled soil come home to that. Or vegetable patches. I keep veg/small berry plants in pots on my upper deck so I don't have that issue (or slugs).

Former house cats join colonies. People move, throw kitty on the street and leave. some will join a colony. they still were a house kitty at one point. Sadly this IS something that happens here often. some go semi feral. sometimes people do take them in and keep them, or try to find them homes again. THAT really makes me angry, tossing them on the street like the furniture they don't want.

Cats born feral, and get into adulthood without ever being a house cat very typically get a high fear of people. if you tried to capture one as an adult and bring it inside it usually FREAKS. It wants to be out, free and not trapped. a home is trapped to them.

I had one kitten from a feral. So tiny though she adjusted just fine she was only a few weeks old. I wanted to catch all the kittens I heard about, but by the time I got there mamma had already left with the others. I thought they were all gone until I heard a tiny voice crying from the ditch. whistle and it would come close enough to see you, then run away. Took me hours, coated in burrs from the brush in the ditch but we finally did catch her. More hours to comb them out of my hair and I tossed the sweater I was wearing. she was so tiny we caught her bum end as she almost slipped all the way through a chain link fence. my parents still have her. she's awesome, and VERY snuggly/loving.

The younger ones, you may have caught just in time, or they were abandoned pets that joined the colony. Glad you were there for them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships