Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 07:55 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

SIL's DH had an accident and suffered a brain injury. We do not know how it happened. He is building a shed and either fell off the roof onto a ladder or fell off the ladder and got hit on the head by the ladder. He does not remember.

I flew from GA to NY to be there and keep an eye on her mother, my MIL, who is in assisted living, while my BIL was in the ICU. The day after I arrived MIL came down with flu and had to be hospitalized, too.

I was happy to be there to help. SIL was stressed, to say the least, and other family members, including her kids, had family and work obligations and could not be there all the time.

MIL and BIL are doing well, thank goodness.

SIL and I were kept well fed by a cadre of her friends who brought a hot dinner almost every day I was there. It is comforting to know that she has their support since I have had to return home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 06:00 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
My husband and I just came back from a long road trip. Anyway on one of the interstates there was a merge into one lane which as you knows makes things move a whole heck of a lot slower. So while I was sitting in the lane where everyone needed to merge into there were those "special" people who think it's ok to race past everyone and cut the line towards the front. Anyway when this keeps happening "all" of the traffic never flows. I noticed that the people flying by on the right side of me stopped. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw a trucker blocking the free lane

I love when those truckers do that and I am thankful when they do. I have also done the same in some cases.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:03 AM

I have an older friend who loves to read but has trouble with the print size. I downloaded some e-books for him that I thought he would like and loaned him my kindle. I blew up the font for easier reading. So far he has read two books on it. Since he likes it so maybe he will get one for himself.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:08 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,223 times
I took a good friend of mine out for lunch last week.She has always done this for me so I really wanted to pay it forward.It was a nice lunch and a nice day and it was good for both of us to get out to enjoy the day.I was so happy that I was able to do this because I don't know when I will be able to afford to do something like that again.It always feels good when one can treat a good friend.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:18 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
Nothing major. Yesterday at the grocery store, I let someone with just four items go before me in line. I had 25-30 items. Then the woman ahead of her, just before the cashier was about to scan her first item, let her go to the front of the line. Am guessing she got out of the store about 15 minutes sooner.

Last edited by chessgeek; 02-25-2018 at 05:37 PM..

Old 02-26-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Nothing major. Yesterday at the grocery store, I let someone with just four items go before me in line. I had 25-30 items. Then the woman ahead of her, just before the cashier was about to scan her first item, let her go to the front of the line. Am guessing she got out of the store about 15 minutes sooner.

I always appreciate it when someone lets me jump the line.

The last time I asked a man if he wanted to go ahead of me he said no. He had time on his hands and was in no rush.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:12 AM

At the grocery store the other day I couldn't reach an item on the back of the top shelf. A man came by and asked me if I needed help.

It's really the small things. We need to remember more of the good small things and stop dwelling on all the bad stuff.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
At the grocery store the other day I couldn't reach an item on the back of the top shelf. A man came by and asked me if I needed help.

It's really the small things. We need to remember more of the good small things and stop dwelling on all the bad stuff.
I agree that the small things can be very important. If I notice a child/children being especially polite/nice/quiet/appropriate in public I will often compliment the parent and/or ask the parent if it is OK for me to compliment their child/children.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:20 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I think those little things add up. I always do that, and last night someone tried to for me. They acted like I do - horrified at the thought of me waiting with 4 items while their 50 get rung up. I thought that was really sweet, and would have taken them up on it, but with only 4, I can go to the stupid self-checkout. I did thank them for being so nice!

Old 05-23-2018, 06:06 PM

179 posts, read 149,584 times
I deal with a lot of people on a daily basis; most of them needing help, advice, or support. Last week, I was delivering training off site, but had my phone silenced. After training I found I had a voicemail. It was a person I deal with occasionally via phone. He said, "Hi, I don't want or need anything. I just wanted to say hi. I hope your having a good day. Have a great weekend."

It made my day. I'm used to people complaining about stuff (if they aren't asking for help).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships