Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 10:58 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,658,851 times

Advertisements

You need to grow up and act like a 31 year old man! This wedding is NOT about you. Nothing at all is about you. These men ARE his brothers in a different sense of the word. Sorry, but just because you share DNA doesn't automatically make you the most important person in a sibling's life. These men lie their life on the line every day and your brother is there to save them and vice versa. You need to get over yourself.

Either leave the bridal party or don't. If you stay, keep your mouth SHUT about those men! You sound VERY disrespectful of them and jealous. You're not the most important person in your brother's life. Get over it. His soon to be wife should be the most important person in his life. Next will be his fellow coworkers who all live a life that you will never truly understand unless you join the force. Firefighters, police, and military all have a VERY different attitude and respect for life than the rest of us. Our lives aren't in danger every single day like these folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 11:02 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,658,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Sometimes when something makes me upset as this is upsetting you, I try to flip the mental script a bit. Instead of thinking of this as them trying to take away your brother, think of it as expanding the people in your own life and an expansion of the people that love your brother. Don't you want that for him? Since they are now "his brothers" perhaps you can say something like, "Hey, I guess that makes us brothers too."

I suspect you are not as confident in the relationship with your brother as you wish, and thus your overreaction to this.

Last fall my daughter was married to a man that immigrated to this country. He is an only child. He, and his parents only have 1 other family member in this country, and she lives far away. When it came to her wedding day I could have pulled some "she's my daughter" silliness and locked her MIL out of the room where D was dressing or kept her away from any planning. Instead I made sure MIL knew of wedding plans and reminded my daughter frequently to keep her up to date, etc. I want the best for my daughter, and that includes having more people in her life that love her as I do. There are a few wonderful pictures from that day. In one, I am fluffing out my daughter's dress and the MIL is buttoning up some of the back buttons. She was the second button shift after I tried to do a few of them. In another I'm pinning a special "something old" to the underside of her dress while the MIL is holding up the dress. I'm happy that more people love my daughter.

In my life I try to be about "expansion" of love as I call it rather than limitations and boundaries. Try it.
These sound like beautiful photos and beautiful memories! Always lovely when families can actually come together to celebrate the couple instead of playing petty games like the OP.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:31 PM

163 posts, read 138,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viridianforest View Post
There's a few things you might want to keep in mind about firefighters. Not that this applies to all of them, but I have had family members that were involved in their communities as firefighters. Firefighters often have this type of "brotherhood" type relationshp because they watch each others backs when they do have a dangerous situation to attend to such as of course, a fire, or somewhere where there may be individuals trapped inside. Because of this, there is a different type of relatioship and trust there. As a firefighter, you would want to be able to trust your co-workers to help you in the event something went horribly wrong. A full-time work shift for a firefighter can be about 72 hours per week and those shifts may be 24 hours each. This means leaving the girlfriend, fiancee, wife, or kids at home doing their own thing while putting your life on the line for others and sometimes wondering, "Am I going to make it home tomorrow morning?" Their jobs are full of hazards and you never know when a co-worker could suddenly die and not be there the next shift. This I can imagine might be a frightening thought. Because of the length of the shifts, firefighters may end up sleeping, showering, sitting on the couch and watching television while waiting for the dispatcher to speak over a loud speaker, cooking meals together, and basically living at the firehouse almost as they would at home. The station they are at is often their second home or as I have heard some say their "home away from home". There are many times they may even be spending holidays together like Thanksgiving or Christmas. Ever been into a firehouse for a few hours? Maybe your brother would be allowed to let you in and have you by and you could see into his world a little bit. It's generally pretty chill and feels like a home. They have a lot of time to get to know their co-workers. Perhaps this may help you understand why this type of relationship exists with your brother and his co-workers and why this feels like his "family".

Also, it makes sense that he would have a few police officers as friends because firefighters and law enforcement are often sent to the same locations to perform their own unique duties. It makes sense if some of the same firefighters run into some of the same police officers again and again since they may work similar shifts. In these dangerous situations, they got each other's back.

Although, I do not agree that he should be putting co-workers ahead of his direct family. This is easy for firefighters to get wrapped in some times and can be a tough priority to juggle with this type of job. A good firefighter will also learn how to juggle these priorities. If he can't juggle these priorities when he gets married and doesn't put the Mrs. first before his firefighting friends, he is going to have a marriage in a lot of trouble and she will feel as frustrated as you do. He will have to learn to balance his home life and work life.
Great post, thank you for putting this into perspective for everyone.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:30 PM

8,395 posts, read 7,677,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanb1181 View Post
I know that wedding isn't about me. My real issue is those guys trying to shove me out of my brother's life.
Your future sister in law and any future children of his will (hopefully) become number 1 in your brother's life on the day he gets married.

Like it or not, his priorities will shift to the family he is creating with his new wife. But, the family he was born into (which includes you) will always remain important to him. He'll always LOVE you and want you to be a part of his life. You and he will have a relationship until the day one of you dies.

Friends - even co worker firefighter friends - will be dropping down the list of his priorities after the wedding.

It is likely that his "bros" sense that, and that may be why they are trying so hard to stay close to him during this time.

It doesn't mean that they are trying to push you out of the picture. They're just trying to stay IN the picture themselves for as long as they can.

Hang in there, and try to do your best to make this a happy day for your brother and his new wife as they begin their lives together. Focusing on that will make it a happy day for you too.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:58 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,541,077 times
[mod]warning[/mod]

Stay in the topic please. You are strongly advised to stop the back and forth bickering in order for this thread to remain open

Old 02-08-2018, 04:28 PM

166 posts, read 117,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Give me a break... your sister may in some time in her life have a deeper bond with someone besides you. May it be her spouse or her children. Even a best friend she may have told things to that she may have not shared with you. And you know what? It is okay because she will always have a bond with you.

There is no contest in life. The more people you have in your life that care about you is a good thing.
Agreed but it isn't comparable to the OP. My sister isn't poor residing in a whieelchair being told by my friends they have a deeper bond than we have. Nor would I allow such.

If my sister were in a wheelchair.... planning my bachelor party...then I would allow that to resume. Not entertain any OTHER bachelor parties from friends who seek to omit her. Either thru cost or travel distance which is difficult for the disabled. No one is allowed to omit my sister from my wedding or bachelor party by saying "They have a deeper bond with me"

We don't treat one another in this way, especiaily family members

Old 02-08-2018, 10:14 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,332,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanb1181 View Post
There's no a counselor in the world that will help me feel like a full man again or will help me enjoy being around my able bodied brother and his able bodied friends.
I haven't read through every post (I stopped at this one) and decided to respond -- I don't usually come to this part of the forum *chuckle* for the very reasons I see in this thread. Whenever anyone asks for advice or simply want someone to talk to, I can't help but notice that the "crowd" almost invariably takes the opposite viewpoint of the OP.

I suppose it's because there's a lot more to say and write when you disagree than simply writing a "me too" post or posting a thumbs-up emoticon.

Anyway, hopefully you, OP, are still checking this thread so I'm not wasting my time.

First, I can relate to you to some extent as I found myself disabled, as well, though I'm not as bad off as you are (sorry if what I just said made you feel even worse, but please keep reading). I might end up in a wheelchair myself eventually considering the wreckless, thoughtless way everyone is clamping down on pain meds with no thought for those who actually need them. I have a very bad neurological disorder that, without constant morphine, I'd literally shoot myself, no questions asked.

Secondly, what I'm guessing here is that your brother and his firefighter friends are not only able-bodied, but VERY able-bodied. You have to be very strong, fit, and athletic to be a firefighter. No question about it. Thus they are probably very active people.

And you can't be. Unfortunately, unless medical science can help you in as of yet unknown ways, you could be sedentary for the rest of your life. I know there are sporting events for the disabled -- but your brother and his friends will be doing their own stuff.

My guess is that, while I doubt your brother would ever come out and say it, he might not like being, hmm, how to say it ... limited himself when he spends time with you. I know that sounds like a horrible thing to say and, believe me, I'm not saying it to be mean. Just the opposite -- I'm saying it because I think I both can relate and understand your position.

The moment I lost my mobility and my ability to go out and do the things my friends and I enjoy (I can still do *some* things with them), a lot of them stopped coming around. The number of invites I receive dropped to very near to zero. In fact, they sometimes wouldn't invite me to do things I *could* do, as if they just didn't want to be bothered with a limited-mobility person with no endurance -- I can't even grocery shop without using an electric scooter because I would be in agony if I wandered around a huge store for an hour.

Since your brother and his friends are almost certainly very physical people -- something tells me they don't have "Book of the Month Club" meetings or play chess with each other -- you get left out.

Which means that your brother's behavior isn't about who is more important -- it's about who is the most fun.

Moreover, your brother is working in a profession that traditionally does create tight bonds between co-workers. It's really no different than soldiers that have been in combat together, cops who risk their lives on the streets together, and of course, firefighters. The thing is, these men have to trust each other with their lives; they have each other's back and it's all but guaranteed that each one of those men will save your brother's life -- and he will save all of their lives, as well, over the course of their careers. That's the nature of firefighting.

And there's not a damn thing you can do about it so don't even try. If you DO try, you'll only be alienated even more with a "If you did my job, you'd understand" speech.

I know this from experience, trust me. I just have to live in the knowledge that it wasn't ME who caused me isolation, but my disability. My friends didn't say, "Damn, I hate that girl now" or "Sheesh, that girl is so (insert denigrating adjective here)."

I know that if I miraculously healed, my friends would accept me back into their circle as if nothing ever happened. Yeah, I was resentful and cynical for awhile, but then I wondered if I would have been any different toward a friend if it were she that became disabled instead of myself. Would I spend all of my time living my life on HER terms because of her disability? Would I end up disabling mySELF because I'm not allowed to do more active things once in awhile that can't include her?

And I realized no... I wouldn't. I love to travel. I love to take long walks. I just adore exploring new places and seeing new things. In short, I love to just get out in the world to experience all the things it has to offer. Even if my bestest friend ... or even my sister .... could no longer do those things with me, would I just give up all of those things for the sake of my friend's/sister's disability?

Of course not, and I would take a dim view of that friend or sister who couldn't understand WHY I wouldn't want to give up those things. No doubt she might feel sad, melancholic, even a little angry that I'm "abandoning" her to do things she can no longer do -- and I'm doing them with other people. In other words, I would be having fun without her, and no doubt that would rankle anyone's sensibilities.

YOU, my friend, are in the situation of the disabled friend or sister I just talked about, and YOU have to understand that it would be horrifically unfair of you to think he can't hang out with his able-bodied friends doing things he enjoys just to cater to your limitations.

And remember, I'm disabled, too ... so I'm not just talking out of my ass, here.

Now, you DO have an understandable reason to feel as you do, and don't let anyone tell you differently -- especially those who aren't disabled and will NEVER truly understand what it's like to be in our position.

What you need to do, however, is be more proactive in your life. YOU actually have it better than I do because you, at least, can do *some* things even in a wheelchair. However, when you suffer from chronic pain the way I do, well, pain is a handicap that you can't just "overcome." You will lose that fight every single time. When the pain hits and the meds aren't working all that well, I'm bed-ridden. Period. I'm even considering amputation because I'd rather be in a wheelchair pain free than to be able to walk short distances but be in horrible pain all the time.

So, with that in mind, you should focus on the things you CAN do and do them. And find others who enjoy doing the same things. Build a bond with those people. Create new memories. Develop a shared history together and pretty soon it may just be your brother envious of YOU. I know that's easier said than done, especially as you get older, but it CAN be done. Depending on where you live (small towns SUCK to be disabled within, let me tell you, because there aren't any support groups, clubs, events, or groups to join without driving 50 miles -- and I can't drive.) But depending on where you live, no doubt you can always find people who are also looking for people to do the same things you like to do.

Or, you might discover new things you never knew you liked to do.

Myself, I also enjoy playing computer games, writing, reading, putsing around on forums, watching movies, playing table-top games, etc. I've found people that also enjoy those things, many of them online so I don't even have to endure the pain of leaving my house to do them.

You are at least mobile. It might be a royal pain in the backside sometimes, but you can still get out and do things, see things, that I only wish I could do.

Obviously, the root of this isn't your brother but your disability and how it has limited your life and altered your lifestyle. Believe me, I GET IT.

Don't pin this on your brother -- though I understand that his relationship with his firefighter buddies annoys you.

But he's engaged in a profession where co-workers do form unusually tight bonds due to the risky nature of their work. There's nothing on the planet you can do to change that. It's the nature of the beast, I'm afraid. And I won't lie to you. Yes, it is even possible that his bonding with his buddies can surpass even his bonding with you -- despite sharing DNA and a long history together. Unfortunately, things change, as crappy as that is sometimes.

If I were you, I wouldn't put my eggs in your brother's basket anymore, if you take my meaning. He'll always be your brother and I doubt very much he would ever abandon you, especially if you really needed him. But relationships do change. Believe me, I've shed many tears over that very thing. But what choice do you really have than to just get on with life, find those new friends, and not worry about what your brother is doing.

Like some have said, once he gets married, chances are he'll be shackled to the bedpost and won't be able to do a damn thing anymore -- which is another thing that irritates the living hell out of me, but that's another topic for a different thread.

Oh, and by the way -- just go to the damn wedding, will ya?

You're not going to convince your brother to drop his brotherly co-workers by abandoning HIM, you know.

Sorry this post is so long, but I know this is a complicated situation and deserves a complicated response. I hope I've helped you out a little bit, anyway. I doubt I made you feel better, at least not right away, but I figured you wanted honesty and not someone to blow sunshine up your ass -- as the saying goes.

Take care and good luck to you.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:48 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,033,242 times
If you don't want to do it, don't do it. If you don't, make sure you tell him asap and be prepared for the drama. I would book a vacation during the wedding so your parents don't have to deal with you.

If you do it, then don't be a sourpuss and make it about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships