Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 10:02 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt go. Vacation time is supposed to be fun, and I dont see you having fun at all. Take your kids somewhere that you will all have some fun and enjoyment. Life is too short spending with people you dont get along with, family or no family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 11:12 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
Think about how you want your children to feel about themselves when they grow up. The memories you want them to have. Their minds and hearts and spirits that experienced great things. Or stunted, insulted, ignored.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:16 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,105,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My thoughts? The hell with this trip. Your husband is now married to you. You two have started a life together. He should see your needs and not the needs of his parents and siblings. You are not comfortable with your husbands family. You dread these visits. Your husband should be on your corner on this.
Interesting that the door apparently only swings one way on his issue. For me , the question would be, what would husband do in this situation if the tables were reversed. If he makes sacrifices for her, then she should reciprocate. That’s what marriage is about. It’s not always about us and what we want To me, this is more than a “routine vacation,” as some are attempting to characterizie it.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:12 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
True. But the pay for date isnt for several more months and the general vibe is "if you can't go, cancel in this period of time". I "can" go. I just dont want to.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I shouldnt go. I would let my husband take the kids, but he isnt able to care for them without me, and he would be the first to admit it. Even though I have tried so much to teach him how to take care of them, he refuses to learn.
This isn’t a problem with your in-laws, it’s a problem with your husband. He doesn’t defend you when they attack you and he doesn’t know how or want to know how to look after his own children.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:20 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Interesting that the door apparently only swings one way on his issue. For me , the question would be, what would husband do in this situation if the tables were reversed. If he makes sacrifices for her, then she should reciprocate. That’s what marriage is about. It’s not always about us and what we want To me, this is more than a “routine vacation,” as some are attempting to characterizie it.
That's what I was thinking too, although it doesn't sound like the husband is too supportive of his wife and children's wants and needs. But, if the OP is the one to always decide what they do in their free time, where they go on vacation, etc... Then maybe suck it up, put in some face time with the inlaws, and let the husband choose this vacation.

Old 11-22-2019, 01:53 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
True. But the pay for date isnt for several more months and the general vibe is "if you can't go, cancel in this period of time". I "can" go. I just dont want to.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I shouldnt go. I would let my husband take the kids, but he isnt able to care for them without me, and he would be the first to admit it. Even though I have tried so much to teach him how to take care of them, he refuses to learn.
Geez, let him go and tell him don't bother to come back!

Old 11-22-2019, 02:02 PM

356 posts, read 371,415 times
I can totally relate to your situation. I'm sorry you are in it in the first place. I would probably go, but cut my stay in half.

Old 11-22-2019, 04:29 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,365 times
Re: the 2nd paragraph of the OP........

I'd urge your nephew to RUN!

Old 11-22-2019, 04:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I understand why you don't want to go HFB, but personally, if it was important to my husband, I would make the trip. They'll talk about you whether you're there or not. I would set some ground rules in advance, # 1 being that hubby shuts down any criticism of you or the children, immediately. I can't fathom a husband sitting by silently while his spouse and kids are subjected to abuse. I would also demand some family only excursions to minimize the time spent with the in-laws. And finally, you get to plan another trip.

LOL....yeah that is going to happen. He has been allowing it for the last 20 years, shame on him.

He said he would go by himself, let him go by himself.

Old 11-23-2019, 04:49 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Ya know...my husband isn't perfect. He has a lot of issues with his parents and siblings. And, as his wife and his life partner, I try to both give extra understanding and extra help when he needs it, as he does for me. But I also have a lot of issues with my parents and sibling, and he has been supportive of me with much more effort then I have had to support him. So it isnt one sided. We are really genuinely supportive of each other when it comes to family. Still, he struggles to buck against his family expectations. Which I do understand, but I dont have the same struggle.

His unwillingness to learn the best care techniques for the kids come from his own past traumas. He hasn't always been like this. It is fairly age/stage specific. I understand where he is coming from, but I am also pushing him hard to learn how to help me. And he has started therapy with the goal of being a better husband and father. But...he has a lot of baggage and it will take some time for him to work through it. I do think he is on the right path. But it isnt easy. He is human.

For those mocking my children's disabilities...well I wont share my kid's specific issues....but mental illness, mild physical disabilities and learning disabilities are considered invisible. Visible disabilities are either very severe, use adaptive equipment or they have severe learning or mental health disabilities. Basically people scoffing at those don't have the first idea of what a disability is.

I really appreciate helpful comments and people saying "no way". It makes me feel less alone. I wont get into the troll type comments. So thank you helpful folks for giving me some input.

I actually figured out what is making me not want to go...it isnt my discomfort. It is how my kids will be treated. That is very important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships