Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 12:16 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times

Advertisements

We had a recent experience where we had a house guest who is a very disapproving teetotaler. By a stroke of bad timing we had already accepted an invite to a milestone family birthday party at a winery when the guest scheduled the visit. We gave the guest the option to stay home but the guest insisted on coming both to our home and the party. The guest
volunteered to be the DD but then refused to actually drive at the end of the event so we had an awkward period of waiting to be done enough to drive home.

Drinking around this person makes them very angry as we found out. We have had fallout from this visit in the fom of gossip they started and passive aggressive comments. Neither of us get out much as we have a lot going on but we both are wine drinkers socially-- not heavy drinkers at all. I have had friends and family in recovery who have not been interested in drinking but have never met someone who was made so angry because others were doing so. Especially when they had the option not to witness this behavior.

So wondering how to approach this. As far as I know this person was treated quite well at the party. I introduced them to family and all seemed pleasant. This is someone I'll have to see again at some point so it's best to at least keep things civil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 01:11 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
It's pretty simple. If you do not overindulge, then there is simply nothing wrong with social drinking.

More to the point, one does not visit someone's house and then disapprove of how their hosts live their lives--particularly if those hosts have been polite and accommodating. If your account is accurate, then your guest is rude beyond belief.

Personally, if word gets back to you about this guest's ongoing gossip and remarks, I'd make a point of discussing it with him/her. I'd point out that it's your house and your rules, that he/she had the option of not going, and if he/she has concerns about your enjoying a couple of glasses of wine, you'd kindly appreciate having been told that to your face rather than behind your back. Otherwise, that person is abusing your hospitality.

If that ends your relationship, then so be it. Because this isn't exactly the kind of person I'd want to be friends with over the long haul.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 12-10-2019 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-10-2019, 01:14 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Your guest is rude. He was informed the event was at a winery. What did he think people were going to drink?? I'm not so sure I'd want that kind of person, in my life.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:16 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
If it were me, I'd email him/her and cc everyone he's been gossiping to, reminding him that he CHOSE to go to an event, KNOWING there would be wine drinking, and remind him that he OFFERED TO BE THE DD, and then he refused to do so.

And then maybe say something like "We tried to give you options, but you SAID you wanted to come to the party, (where you were warmly treated.) Perhaps the next time you are invited to an event that serves alcohol, you should decline. I'm sorry it was an unpleasant experience for you."

IMO, that's civil. It's not bending over backwards to smooth the feathers...but it's civil.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:22 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And then maybe say something like "We tried to give you options, but you SAID you wanted to come to the party, (where you were warmly treated.) Perhaps the next time you are invited to an event that serves alcohol, you should decline. I'm sorry it was an unpleasant experience for you."

IMO, that's civil. It's not bending over backwards to smooth the feathers...but it's civil.
This is good.

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Bet there is much more to this story.

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
So wondering how to approach this.
It depends on the exact nature of your relationship.

How do you know this person?

Old 12-10-2019, 01:26 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
If it were me, I'd email him/her and cc everyone he's been gossiping to, reminding him that he CHOSE to go to an event, KNOWING there would be wine drinking, and remind him that he OFFERED TO BE THE DD, and then he refused to do so.

I don't believe in e-mails. I'd pick up the phone. E-mails are for passive-aggressive cowards.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:41 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
My husband and I have plenty of friends that don't drink.

They have never, ever made it an issue.

I would cut this person out of my life.

I am a grownup. It's no ones business what I do.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:01 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I don't believe in e-mails. I'd pick up the phone. E-mails are for passive-aggressive cowards.

I can be passive aggressive, so maybe you're right, and maybe it is. Although, I thought my version of the email was direct.

And I thought it was worth including the people this guest had been gossiping to on the email, as it let's THEM know there's always 2 sides to a story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships