Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 03:56 PM

3,647 posts, read 1,601,831 times

Advertisements

I'm single and live a few houses down from my female neighbor. She is not married but has lived with her male partner at least 10 years or more. They act like a married couple from all appearances. All the neighbors know each other for a long time now. I don't socialize with them we are just friendly neighbors. Neighbors 'talk' about other neighbors but gossipy (personal things).

About 3 years ago I noticed she was taking daily walks and I asked to join her to walk. She was enthusiastic. He was fine with it. He doesn't like to walk. So me and her started walking daily. She tells me all about her work ,life, etc. Really more details I care to know. But I'm a good listener. Anyway I stopped walking with her because I wanted to ride my bike instead of walk. And she did something that I thought was very suggestive. Unbelievable really. She wanted me to help fix a zipper in a pair of her jeans! Of course I didn't offer to do that. I acted nonchalant about it. This is now a forgotten thing. No other suggestive acts since.

She recently asked me to help with her car when it had a mechanical issue. Her partner doesn't mind, he's not as mechanical as I am. She asked me for a ride to the auto shop because her partner is at work. I'm ok with helping her. I help other neighbors all the time too with this/that.

But now she has recently started texting me more frequently. About work issues and neighbor issues. This morning a text at 8am to wish late happy birthday. And has been calling me too which she never did before. She recently called me on her lunch time. Again about an issue in the hoa, neighbor, or her work. She often says "don't tell anyone I told you".

But she's never contacted me this much before. When we have talked on the phone she brings up some really personal issues/struggles and I reply to them with I think helpful suggestions/assurance. As a friend would. That's all I can do. But why not talk to her partner? We'll I'm sure she does.

What I want to know is what do you all think this? And about my approach I'm taking, which is not asking her to stop. It doesn't bother me. I think it will slow down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 05:09 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Sounds like she has a crush on you. I would just stop replying to her texts. If she asks if you are upset with her - just say "no, of course not. I am just not a big texter". Don't respond to phone calls except every once in a while. She will stop.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:17 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
I think she's just overly friendly/chatty, not into you. So long as she's not venting to you extensively about her relationship, I think she is taking you up on your claim of being a good listener.

If you want it to cool down, you can respond more slowly (or not at all) on occasion. No biggie!

Old 01-10-2020, 05:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I personally think it's too much texting from a person in a committed relationship to a single person. To me, the way you're handling it is just keeping the gate open for her to continue and escalate.

Time for the slow fade: don't reply to every single text, and wait for longer periods of time to reply.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:32 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
It would bother me. I don't wish to be "texting buddies" with anyone and I don't carry on conversations through text messaging

Old 01-10-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I personally think it's too much texting from a person in a committed relationship to a single person. To me, the way you're handling it is just keeping the gate open for her to continue and escalate.

Time for the slow fade: don't reply to every single text, and wait for longer periods of time to reply.

I do that.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
I do that.
Then, if you feel like it's not appropriate, you need to say something about her knocking it off.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:42 PM

Correction

I wrote:
"Neighbors 'talk' about other neighbors but gossipy (personal things)."

I meant:
Neighbors 'talk' about other neighbors but not gossipy (personal things).

Old 01-10-2020, 05:52 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
I'm with the slow fade tactic.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:06 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
She probably thinks of you as a friend. I mean, if you were of the same sex as her, all of this wouldn't be a problem. I think that's probably how she's thinking, too. I've always had male friends, I'm just more comfortable with them as friends in general. I don't flirt with them (don't even know if I could remember HOW to flirt), but I've texted them, sometimes more often than other times. My husband has free access to my phone, I have nothing to hide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships