Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 01:42 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,048,399 times

Advertisements

If you have an accent, I would ask where you are originally from without any hesitation...simply out of curiosity. I love hearing about people's native countries. No intetion of being rude. ONLY if you have an obvious non-English American accent though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 05:46 PM

11,443 posts, read 625,823 times
I met someone tonight at the store who was from Manchester UK .. He still had his accent and I could tell .... I asked him if he was from Manchester and he said yes he has been here in the states 16 years........

I do not think its wrong to ask about where people are from....... Its no big deal after all... He told me he does miss england...... I wonder why he came here?? (I didnt ask him that)

He seemed quite friendly.....

Old 03-02-2020, 09:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
I met someone tonight at the store who was from Manchester UK .. He still had his accent and I could tell .... I asked him if he was from Manchester and he said yes he has been here in the states 16 years........

I do not think its wrong to ask about where people are from....... Its no big deal after all... He told me he does miss england...... I wonder why he came here?? (I didnt ask him that)
Although it may seem that it's okay, it can be an offensive question to people of color. It can make them feel that it's being pointed out their racial difference. And believe me, many people get tired of being asked that. It's particularly offensive if the person of color is American and you are American, and you ask them what country they are from.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:35 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Although it may seem that it's okay, it can be an offensive question to people of color. It can make them feel that it's being pointed out their racial difference. And believe me, many people get tired of being asked that. It's particularly offensive if the person of color is American and you are American, and you ask them what country they are from.
Lol! My daughter got asked that question a lot in Asian countries, her being white, her child was born in Asia and is obviously white. My daughter was even asked where was she from in the states, because of her dark hair and eyes. She thought nothing about it. People will ask that question all over the world at least a majority because people are curious.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
That's why I said I "only ask if they have an accent" no matter what color they are (it doesn't matter to me).

Old 03-03-2020, 09:34 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,812,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
That's why I said I "only ask if they have an accent" no matter what color they are (it doesn't matter to me).

I agree with you! I think some people just like to throw the race card because of habit lol

Old 03-03-2020, 10:12 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
It seems to me that there are ways of asking this question of people of color without being offensive. If you encounter a POC with a strong accent whose first language is obviously not English, asking what country they're from (in a friendly manner, of course) shouldn't be offensive to anyone.

There are, of course, many black people who speak with a British accent; most of them are from the UK, certain African countries, or certain Caribbean islands. How is it offensive to ask them where they're from?

I do agree that it is offensive to ask a POC what country they're from if they're speaking English fluently and without any obvious foreign accent. When phrased like that, it implies that they can't actually be "real" Americans. But asking where they're from is not necessarily the same as asking what country they're from.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:49 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It seems to me that there are ways of asking this question of people of color without being offensive. If you encounter a POC with a strong accent whose first language is obviously not English, asking what country they're from (in a friendly manner, of course) shouldn't be offensive to anyone.

I don't ask at all because I don't feel entitled to know. I'm okay with not knowing that information.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:23 PM

630 posts, read 526,099 times
Whether asking where someone is from is offensive or not is a question only those who are actually asked on regular basis are entitled to answer. Just imagine meeting someone for the first time, in a formal setting, and hear them asking you "Are you married?", "What do you for a living?", "How much do you make?", "Who do you vote for?". Probably a great many of those who stated on here that they do not view anything wrong with asking someone "Where are you from" would probably object or feel uncomfortable being asked the aforementioned questions. On a bad day, some would even reply with a "It's none of your business". They'd have a point, I say. What makes someone entitled to know about another person's personal information? It's not about "race", or "xenophobia" only. It also has to do with people not being happy about others feeling entitled to feed their nosiness off of them.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:02 PM

A lot of folks are using the word "entitled". Many people are just straight up "curious".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships