Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 06:51 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times

Advertisements

"Sound like an old fart?" That sounds ageist to me. LOL

You've got to be so careful these days that it's best to just stare at your cell phone rather than speak at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 07:37 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
" Where are you from ?

For me that gets kind of complicated. I was born in Canada, so I hold Canadian citizenship, but my Mother was born in London England, so I hold a UK citizenship by descent. My Father was born in the Irish Republic, so I hold ROI citizenship by descent, and I also hold Bahamian citizenship by marriage to my wife who was born in Nassau.

She is as white as a glass of milk, and has blonde hair and blue eyes. but she speaks with a very broad Bahamian accent. That confuses even other people from the Caribbean nations. Her ancestors arrived in The Bahamas in the year 1779, from Devon in England.
I don't think it's complicated. You're from Canada.

Where are you from refers to the country or state you were born in. If you ask a fellow Chicagoan where they're from you used to get the parish name but now people are more likely to name the Chicago neighborhood or suburb.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:37 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I would never ask where a person is from based on their physical appearance. That is rude in my opinion and borderline racist and predjudiced, even if you have the "best" intentions.

However I do enjoy hearing and guessing accents, regional US accents and international accents and when I hear a familiar one I might ask if they are from "this region" because it sounds like it. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes not. It is a talking point and is geographical/regional, not based how they look.

Younger people understand this because they grow up with many kids of different ethnicities. So if you want to sound like an old fart then ask someone who isn't white "where are you from" and see how that goes for you. Would you ask Mr. Sulu from Star trek where he's from? He'd say "California you jerk."
LOL. Back in the early 00s we hired a consultant to do a study on integrating fare collection systems where I worked. The firm was from California. It was a team of three headed up by a guy named "Greg" with a Japanese surname. He was a California surfer dude who happened to be an expert in the technical side of fare collection systems and had started this consulting company.

But still, some of the older guys on our team kept referring to him as "the Japanese guy from XYZ Company". They didn't seem to have the sense to be embarrassed.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:50 AM

175 posts, read 93,533 times
It not offend me

Old 02-17-2020, 09:58 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't think it's complicated. You're from Canada.

Where are you from refers to the country or state you were born in. If you ask a fellow Chicagoan where they're from you used to get the parish name but now people are more likely to name the Chicago neighborhood or suburb.
I look about as apple pie American as you can get. I've been asked where I was from my entire life! I've lived all over the country and it just seems to be something people ask since almost no one is ever from where they are!

I suppose if I were of some "ethnic" background, I could find a way to be offended.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:25 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,872 times
I get asked all the time, mostly when I meet someone new. They are just making conversation. If you have a “foreign” appearance or accent, they may have visited your country and will want to converse with you about that. If they have never been to my home state, they may say that they have never been there or something about how beautiful it is. No harm, no foul.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:55 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,815,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliya View Post
I can say I am American who was born in Anatolia?
'Where are you from?' is NOT a question ré your citizenship status.
You are confusing the two.
Acculturated Americans understand this and usually treat the question as a polite conversation starter.
Lighten up.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:05 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I've gotten it a lot while traveling and really don't mind. Some people can be condescending, but those most people are genuinely curious.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:22 PM

322 posts, read 707,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
¿De dónde eres? I get asked this a lot in latin countries. I am not generally offended.

Look, we (Americans) travel to different countries and get asked this same question.

Is it offensive? No.
*** Perspective ***
They figure you're from the states and want to know what state you're from. All they see on TV, the movie theater, sports is local and American stuff. So you get asked. It's normal but we don't want to be asked tat from some rough rebel looking dude abroad.

I'd say no if this was an employer or interviewer. I would just say I am second or third generation and my parents are from Guatemala, Vietnam, Russia, Pakistan or whichever country. Your citizenship and passport books should put to rest any harassing employer concerns.

Don't be too guarded and open up (a little bit) and not take everything as offensive, rude or thinking they're inferring for you to get out of their town. Americans do ask their own people where they are from if they detect a California, mid-western, southern or NY accent. It's kind of good to know to break down stereotypes of regions.

Plus, it's not like you're being asked for your SSN and date of birth. If I hear an accent I know, I have asked people where they are from and their face turns happy and they want to converse a little. I wouldn't do this on a subway or busy place where you can see they are in a rush.
Believe half of what you read on this thread. Some of the comments are utterly ridiculous. I'm speaking as a multiracial American. I get mistaken for Puerto Rican all the time. I live in NJ. We have lot of PR's. I don't get offended. At all. I don't change grocery stores etc. We all have different tolerance levels but some comments, over the top drama inducing, have a hard time believing.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 02-17-2020 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-17-2020, 01:32 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I would never ask where a person is from based on their physical appearance. That is rude in my opinion and borderline racist and predjudiced, even if you have the "best" intentions.
You do not understand what racist or prejudiced mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships