Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 10:52 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliya View Post
Fro example when I become an American citizen and if someone asks me where I am from, I will say I am from USA. But if that person starts to dig deep and begins to ask where I am originally from, I think that would be rude or offensive because it means that this person does not believe in me. Right?
Nah. It's not rude. It sounds like a job interview if they want to dig deeper. You should be truthful because background checks can be put 2 and 2 together.

If it is a random person you meet at an event or party, it could be a nice conversation starter or keep the conversation going because you seem interesting.
- Maybe the American person asking has friends or traveled to where you are originally from.
- Maybe they speak your language a little bit and enjoy food recipes and cultural things in your country.

I would ignore them and move on if I knew the person was mentally unstable or a criminal. I guess this part is a given.

Last edited by frankrj; 02-16-2020 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 11:27 AM

37 posts, read 20,834 times
Quote:
Fro example when I become an American citizen and if someone asks me where I am from, I will say I am from USA. But if that person starts to dig deep and begins to ask where I am originally from, I think that would be rude or offensive because it means that this person does not believe in me. Right?
Yes, is offesive. Do not answer them.
Is like saying, you are not from here. Or you are not one of us.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:59 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,945,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangppilot View Post
That's an absolutely ridiculous statement. The rudeness would be in the OP following your advice and refusing to answer them. Treat me that way when I ask a simple question to get to know you better, and I'm not going to bother to ask anything else. Then you can go around telling your friends how rude and offensive we all are.

As someone else pointed out, being asked where you're from is part of living in a nation of immigrants. My ancestors for example are from England, Ireland, Sicily, Russia, Lithuania, and probably a couple of other Eastern European countries. That applies to people moving from one part of the United States to another, too. I frequently get asked where I'm from because as a transplant from Illinois to South Carolina, my different accent is apparent.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:03 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I am tired of answering that question, no matter how friendly it is.

Most of the time it leads to a political "conversation" and I wish none of it.
"just for conversation" people may be very inquisitive and persistent.

After almost 30 years here and being citizen for over 10, I simply say I am from Black Diamond. Followed by accent question, I go - Everyone in Black Diamond speaks like this. Americans are either gullible enough to swallow it or, "get it" and stop. Those who keep asking, I simply say - Sorry, I do not discuss this.

Better than hearing lengthy propaganda opinions about those countries.
Haha, this is just it. No one's ever just like, "Oh, you're from Lilliput? That's cool." They have to follow it up with an under-informed discourse about the history and politics of Lilliput as though even if it were accurate it'd be news to me. Whee! And then I get to either smile and nod and feel like an doofus, or correct them and act like a doofus. It's just a no-win conversation all around.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:06 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangppilot View Post
But people ask Asians speaking perfect, fluent, American English where they're from. Now, that can be considered legitimately offensive, even if some let it roll off their back. Though I can see, how being asked where you're from if you speak with an accent, can get annoying, especially if it happens a lot, and you have to go through an entire lifetime like that.

One might be tempted to simply have a T-shirt printed up, that provides the information, to stop the questioning. "US Citizen. Born in ______. Please don't ask me about my accent."

Old 02-16-2020, 12:30 PM

24,589 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But people ask Asians speaking perfect, fluent, American English where they're from. Now, that can be considered legitimately offensive, even if some let it roll off their back. Though I can see, how being asked where you're from if you speak with an accent, can get annoying, especially if it happens a lot, and you have to go through an entire lifetime like that.

One might be tempted to simply have a T-shirt printed up, that provides the information, to stop the questioning. "US Citizen. Born in ______. Please don't ask me about my accent."
If I have Asian features and speak fluent American English it is a legitimate offense? What is American English? Are those Americans from - where? Nowhere?

Old 02-16-2020, 12:31 PM

599 posts, read 263,400 times
Quote:
I am guessing you you indicate or send the message that you are originally from somewhere else, whether it is culturally, language or an accent. Why be offended? It just shows interest. It's not a matter of believing you. Maybe you can say, I am originally from " here" but I am now an American citizen.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:35 PM

74 posts, read 51,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
If you find that a rude question then you are the one with the problem.
but it sounds like they don't believe me

Old 02-16-2020, 12:36 PM

74 posts, read 51,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty99 View Post
I am guessing you you indicate or send the message that you are originally from somewhere else, whether it is culturally, language or an accent. Why be offended? It just shows interest. It's not a matter of believing you. Maybe you can say, I am originally from " here" but I am now an American citizen.
I can say I am American who was born in Anatolia?

Old 02-16-2020, 12:49 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

My physical therapist is the son of an Indian-American father and an Irish-American mother. He said that he often gets the "what nationality are you?" question from older patients. He says he is American. Then they ask where he was born. He tells them the truth--on a US Army base in Germany where his father was serving. Then he says, "So that makes me American, right?" Then they shut up.

The mom of one of my daughter's friends is German. Her husband is from Nebraska but met her when he lived in Germany. Now they are in NJ. She said she likes NJ because there are a lot of people from other countries, so her accent doesn't draw much notice, but when she went to Nebraska everyone asked where she was from.

When she met her husband's family and was introduced by her name, Angelika, pronounced the German way, his parents smiled and said, "and what should WE call you?" She said she thought, " How about Angelika?" But they decided she would be Angie. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships