Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 01:01 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliya View Post
Fro example when I become an American citizen and if someone asks me where I am from, I will say I am from USA. But if that person starts to dig deep and begins to ask where I am originally from, I think that would be rude or offensive because it means that this person does not believe in me. Right?
No, I don't find it rude. If I may be annoyed by it, it is because I'd rather not talk about it and that is me, not them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 01:09 PM

6,303 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Fro example when I become an American citizen and if someone asks me where I am from, I will say I am from USA. But if that person starts to dig deep and begins to ask where I am originally from, I think that would be rude or offensive because it means that this person does not believe in me. Right?
People have been and still do ask me where I’m from and it’s usually out of curiosity because they love my accent. I don’t see anything rude or offensive about it at all. I can’t think of a time when the people asking didn’t smile and open the door sharing their trip to my home country, or one or two friends grew out of those conversations.

I don’t relate to your notion that by asking people wouldn’t “believe in you”, that’s weird. Why are they supposed to believe or disbelieve in you, they are just being friendly or curious.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:14 PM

6,303 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
A person asking doesn't believe in you? What a strange assumption. The person asking is curious, attempting to get to know you better, trying to pinpoint an accent, making small talk, or just trying to kill time. It's neither offensive nor rude.

Unless you want to be one of those people nobody wants to be around because they feel like they're constantly walking on eggshells, I would give others the benefit of the doubt and assume they have good intentions.

Usually when people ask me where I’m from I tell them which state but then qualify it by saying “but originally I’m from the UK”.

As for the person asking “not believing in you” I agree , that’s the weirdest assumption I’ve ever heard in relation to such a question of origin. I’m just curious why the op would think that.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:15 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
I worked with a bunch of contract programmers from India and they would just LIGHT UP when they were in my office and I asked them where they were from and bring up a map and have them show me. Then I would try to learn to say good morning or thank you in their dialect.

No, it's not rude in the right context.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I think it is rather hilarious the OP is from Turkey and asking this, I have visited Turkey numerous times and have friends of the family that live there (they are ethnically Turks, but lived/born not in Turkey originally), and the Turks are always asking this question.

It is actually a normal question everywhere in the world I have been.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:03 PM

74 posts, read 51,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If you have an accent, get used to being asked.
but why do people except me not to have an accent when speaking in English? English is not even an official language of USA

Old 02-15-2020, 03:06 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
"Where are you from?" isn't rude.
"But where are you really from?" as a follow up is generally rude.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:11 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Quote:
but why do people except me not to have an accent when speaking in English? English is not even an official language of USA
Americans and also Australians are fairly open and it is usually just conversation. I do get a bit tired of going into my heritage background on occasion, depends on the context. I use my husband's surname, which is European. So we get asked a lot, what sort of a name is that? Then sometimes, where are you from? BIL used to answer Wollongong or Wagga Wagga or Ulladulla to get his point across. But I end up having to say that I am descended from three convicts whereas DH was born in Europe but left as a child. Then I feel like saying, now can I have the *** form back.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:19 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:

An "official" language has little or nothing to do with someone's accent. An accent is usually based on where you happened to live as a young child and the accent you heard while learning to speak. You could easily grow up in a household of UK immigrants living in New Orleans LA, USA and still learn to speak with a British accent. You could grow up in a household of US immigrants living in London and still learn to speak with a New Orleans accent.

Why is this a problem for you? Accents are interesting and often beautiful. Do you want every single person to be exactly like everyone else? How boring THAT would be!

Old 02-15-2020, 03:25 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
"Where are you from?" isn't rude.
"But where are you really from?" as a follow up is generally rude.
Or, "what are you?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships