Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:33 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,184,109 times

Advertisements

Thought people might be interested in this.
Free Circus at the River Common on Tuesday the 26th at noon.
The River Common, Wilkes-Barre, PA | Find Your Common Ground

I don't want to complain, but who had the bright idea to schedule a circus (A CIRCUS) at noon on a Tuesday, when kids are in school?
I think this logic sums up why WB falls on its face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I sadly agree with you. Every event the city tries to get of the ground is poorly planned, underfunded, poorly advertised (if advertised at all) and poorly executed. The annual Cherry Blossum festival is approaching and as usual it will not be advertised well, I remember i was there two days before the festival a few years ago and there were Kingston residents asking me why there were workers setting up rides totally oblivious that it was coming. The city won't even hang a cheap banner at the entrance to Kirby Park where it takes place, or over Market Street Bridge for that manner. The only way that you know that there is a 3 day event even going on is if you happen to stroll through the park or drive by it! There is no attempt to advertise, where Scranton on the otherhand advertises everything very well weeks in advance on WNEP, every local newspaper, TV commercials etc., and it shows in the attendance. Like I said, W-B is blessed with probably the best park complex this side of Philadelphia (Kirby, Nesbitt, River Common, Levee System) all bordering each other. There is so much space and potential to have massive festivals, several venues for live performances etc., but no vision, and to much incompetence. Our leaders simply don't do anything to promote W-B and the Wyoming Valley.
See my above post about events in WB.

As far as park systems, Allentown has more park acreage than any city it's size in the country. I can get the source if you need it. They use it to the betterment of the city with numerous events and festivals. Mayfair being one of our favorites. Not to get off topic, those of you with kids, "The Fuzzy Lemons" will be at Mayfair. Great kids music group.
It really does sadden me that WB doesn't use them, or keep up with them as well as they should.

Since we are talking about parks. What is up with the green posts at the entrance to Kirby? Is that some kind of art, or was there a structure there at some point?

Old 04-15-2011, 05:02 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
I'll add another plus-

Coal Street Park. We spent a few hours there today and it was so much fun! Wait til the splash pool is there!

Old 04-15-2011, 05:05 PM

I have to disagree that WB isn't kid friendly. We do a lot of things with the kids in WB (city and twp ). Though I do think it could have more for kids, I don't think it's that bleak.

BTW, Laurie Berkner will be at the Kirby Center 5/21/11. The Kirby Center for the Performing Arts: Wilkes-Barre, PA (http://www.kirbycenter.org/events/showpage.cfm?event_id=2304 - broken link)

Old 04-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'll add another plus-

Coal Street Park. We spent a few hours there today and it was so much fun! Wait til the splash pool is there!
I hope the family was wearing the LL Bean Kevlar vests while you were there.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
I hope the family was wearing the LL Bean Kevlar vests while you were there.
Hubby and I were. I put the kids in these: Bulletproof Lined Backpack and Bullet Proof Vests for sale for Safety and Protection from gun violence

Old 04-16-2011, 07:05 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,276,380 times
Quote:
I have to disagree that WB isn't kid friendly. We do a lot of things with the kids in WB (city and twp ). Though I do think it could have more for kids, I don't think it's that bleak.

BTW, Laurie Berkner will be at the Kirby Center 5/21/11. The Kirby Center for the Performing Arts: Wilkes-Barre, PA (http://www.kirbycenter.org/events/showpage.cfm?event_id=2304 - broken link)
I don't know, I kind of agree with LVN here. For example Wilkes-Barre only has 1 public swimming pool! Scranton has 9 I believe. W-B is 2/3rds the size of Scranton. It's an embarrassment. Although I do enjoy the new Coal St Park and the new ice rink, Im really disappointed that the mayor decided not to go through with building a new swimming pool there. (he's very cheap) The only public pool is the Kisler pool. It's not even outdoors, and it is at the extreme southern end of the city which means that if you live anywhere north of downtown chances are you don't make the trip to use it. That's just another example where we can improve.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:19 AM

I guess it depends on your POV and own experiences really. I don't have a hard time finding kid friendly things to do in the city on the weekends.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I guess it depends on your POV and own experiences really. I don't have a hard time finding kid friendly things to do in the city on the weekends.
In WB or by driving outside of WB?

Besides going to the park or movies, I'd be interested in some of these things to do with kids in WB.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Thought people might be interested in this.
Free Circus at the River Common on Tuesday the 26th at noon.
The River Common, Wilkes-Barre, PA | Find Your Common Ground

I don't want to complain, but who had the bright idea to schedule a circus (A CIRCUS) at noon on a Tuesday, when kids are in school?
I think this logic sums up why WB falls on its face.
From a different POV, the circus at noon is supposed to be an encouragement to BUY a ticket to attend the circus at the 109th. during the week after Easter. It has for 62 years, the cost is reasonable, and the place is usually packed. (We'll be there on Friday night) The hour-long performance on the Common won't be the entire circus but just a teaser. Not all children are in school on that day. Only those older than five. And in the past, that Tuesday was a part of the Easter break. (WVW would have been off but is now a make-up day.)

Circuses (circii?) aren't just for children - the adult lunch crowd will enjoy the show, am I right?

The circus has midday performances every day EXCEPT for Tuesday, so the city took advantage of the availability.

The Shriners work all year long to prepare for circus week to support their charities. Additionally, they provide free tickets for groups - kids who otherwise might never get to attend. It's a big deal, so I hope you take your family and enjoy the tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania