Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:22 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,184,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Huh? So people usually go to the same museums every week?
Right, because "going every week" is the same as "once a year at most"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,184,109 times
Quote:
Not sure I get this sentiment among some that feel they need to be entertained 24-7. Are you incapable of entertaining yourself? I have kids, and we never have a shortage of things to do....even if its just riding bikes, playing some baseball, flying a kite, going to a playground, etc etc etc.
Yes, that's it. We are incapable of entertaining ourself. I will run out right now and order a self-help book. Your comment has enlightened my spiritual and social path.

Many thanks.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:31 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Exactly. Some people need to be entertained rather than entertaining themselves, I guess. Not that a children's museum wouldn't be nice, but if you live around here, how often would you go to a museum? Once a year at the most. I can count all the times I've been to Steamtown and the Anthracite Museum/Coal mine tour on one hand. Same for the Everhart. I have taken my kids to the Everhart once, same for Steamtown (actually 3 times to Steamtown) and the Trolley Museum. Its not as if a museum is something you'd go to every week.
Well I would probably take my kids to a children's museum once every two months or so. I think we've been to Steamtown about 15 times in the past 5 years or so. Nay Aug/Everhart - same thing.

But we do encourage a lot of self directed, independent play with both of the kids.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:33 AM

I completely forgot about the Y and CYC. They have a TON of activities for children. Oh and Arts Youinverse has lots of child centered classes & activities.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:10 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Just a quick TOS reminder : //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
I am also not a frequent-museum going person. We'll go once or maybe twice but not yearly (to an Allentown or Bethlehem museum) by a long shot. When my kids were small, the things that we participated in all the time were sports, school based music things, private lessons, scouts and library things. Now that my youngest is in HS, his world revolves around friends and school based activities. I think a healthy city has to have a little bit of everything to appeal to a large demographic, and that's hard to do.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,057 times
Theres a CYC in Wilkes Barre?????

Old 04-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Theres a CYC in Wilkes Barre?????
Yes, on North Washington between Market and Northampton.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:07 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, on North Washington between Market and Northampton.
The CYC in Scranton is now part of Lackawanna College, but prior it used to host all types of events from the WWF to concerts... I saw Billy Joel there twice when he was a nobody... Does the WB CYC host entertainment events?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:16 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
The CYC in Scranton is now part of Lackawanna College, but prior it used to host all types of events from the WWF to concerts... I saw Billy Joel there twice when he was a nobody... Does the WB CYC host entertainment events?
I don't think the CYC in W-B is as big as the old Scranton CYC....at least I don't think it has much of a gym with a big seating area like in Scranton. The W-B CYC seems closer to a YMCA than an arena.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Not that I am aware of.

But it is always busy with sports like swimming, basketball, wrestling, etc. They also hold dances on Friday nights for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania