Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:48 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
In WB or by driving outside of WB?

Besides going to the park or movies, I'd be interested in some of these things to do with kids in WB.
Parks
Library
Shows
Story Times
Movies
Going out to eat
Walks

Plenty of stuff to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 06:57 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Things I Love about Wilkes-Barre:
1. The River Commons.
2. The Farmer's Market
3 Cultural and Artistic offerings - far better than those in any suburb!
4. Walkability
5. The Osterhout Library
6. The architecture - especially in the historic district! Anyone who wants brick should have a field day there!
7. Amazing affordability!
8. Friendly, cool, open minded, people.
9. A diverse population, especially as opposed to suburbia. By diverse, I am not only referring to race, class or ethnicity, but to family structure, age and size. I do not want all of my friends to be white married couples between the ages of 25 and 65 with 2.3 children. Although that's exactly what I am. I have met unmarried couples, grad students, large extended Hispanic families, a gay man and his partner, a single man, an older woman in her 80s. And this polyglot of people is just on my block!
10. The view from my back deck!
11. Good restaurants with a variety of offerings.
12. proximity to State Parks.
13. Interesting cultural and historical heritage
14. Love my hair dresser!
15. ArtsYouniverse.Redwood Arts Center (my son loves it, I need to check it out)
16. BOSCOV's
17, Since I am an" Island Girl", proximity to the shore is nice! Compared to most of the US we're practically "coastal"
18. Proximity to NY Philie and UpState NY attractions. Never been to Niagara Falls but we're going this summer.
19. Cute shops right in the center city, The Behive, Tilburry Knob, Obscurities and more.
20. The presence and proximity of colleges and universities.
What I hate
1 Absentee land lords. uggghhh
2 Apathy - especially when it comes to preservation of historic buildings.
3 The strange political scene.

Really I don't miss much about Long Island. Nor do I hate much about Wilkes-Barre.
~ Sheena

Old 04-16-2011, 07:15 PM

Oh how could I forget - no really horrible gridlock traffic. I am including the Wilkes Barre Township shopping area, which while it looks similar to Long Island with mountains, does not have horrible crippling traffic jams.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:50 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,184,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Parks
Library
Shows
Story Times
Movies
Going out to eat
Walks

Plenty of stuff to do.
That's the best you could do? "going out to eat"

yeah, you are right, WB, is very kid friendly. the library and story times are the same thing, since story time is almost always at the library.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:55 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,184,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
From a different POV, the circus at noon is supposed to be an encouragement to BUY a ticket to attend the circus at the 109th. during the week after Easter. It has for 62 years, the cost is reasonable, and the place is usually packed. (We'll be there on Friday night) The hour-long performance on the Common won't be the entire circus but just a teaser. Not all children are in school on that day. Only those older than five. And in the past, that Tuesday was a part of the Easter break. (WVW would have been off but is now a make-up day.)

Circuses (circii?) aren't just for children - the adult lunch crowd will enjoy the show, am I right?

The circus has midday performances every day EXCEPT for Tuesday, so the city took advantage of the availability.

The Shriners work all year long to prepare for circus week to support their charities. Additionally, they provide free tickets for groups - kids who otherwise might never get to attend. It's a big deal, so I hope you take your family and enjoy the tradition.
We do go, my kids actually go twice. Once in school, and once with the family.

Although I see your POV and appreciate it, I still think it is poor planning. If you want to attract people and families to the River Commons, the free circus should be when most families can attend. That being said, I haven't seen it advertised in the paper or on TV. I only saw it because we were talking about the River Common, and decided to look at the website.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
That's the best you could do? "going out to eat"

yeah, you are right, WB, is very kid friendly. the library and story times are the same thing, since story time is almost always at the library.

Eh, maybe we aren't the exciting type. *shrug* I said I never had an issue finding something to do with the kids in WB. Not synonymous with "very kid friendly". Of course you ignored the other items listed like any good message board user. I actually was thinking of B&N on the square story time, which is why it was listed separately.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:08 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Quote:
We do go, my kids actually go twice. Once in school, and once with the family.

Although I see your POV and appreciate it, I still think it is poor planning. If you want to attract people and families to the River Commons, the free circus should be when most families can attend. That being said, I haven't seen it advertised in the paper or on TV. I only saw it because we were talking about the River Common, and decided to look at the website.
Poor planning? It would seem to me that it's more important to have the free circus when the performers can attend.

Last edited by theatergypsy; 04-17-2011 at 05:17 AM..

Old 04-17-2011, 09:11 AM

I have never been the "Disney World", Children's this Children's that type of person.
I have always taken my children to regular museums, plays, etc.
There are offerings at local theater's here for children.
My kids are now teens, but I think you may be surprised at how they respond to events, performances exhibitions and shows not geared specifically to children. For example when my kids were 8 and 6, we took them to "Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat" They loved it!

Don't get me wrong. I have taken my children to Disney World once. And actually they want to go back this fall as teens, and so do I! I have nothing against children's museums. I'm all for them.
However, growing up, I did go to many museums. None were geared specifically towards children.

Locally they also enjoyed Eckley Miners Village and The Coal Museum in nearby Scranton when they were not yet teens. We have been visiting this area for a while, before deciding to move here.
LVN, you would be surprised at what your children may enjoy!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I ignored the rest, because you offered nothing that any two bit town in america wouldn't have. I would of ignored them all, if not for the chance of mocking "going out to eat" as a kid friendly activity in WB.
We don't go out to eat often so it is a treat for the kids to do so. Like I said, if that isn't your cup of soup, fine.

Another thing we do in WB, as a family, is go bowling either at Stanton Lanes or Chacko's.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 AM

There is plenty to do in Wilkes Barre with or without kids. No it is not "family centered" - that would be the suburbs. Wilkes-Barre is a smallish city. The suburbs were made in the post war period specifically for families. The city was made for commerce, as were most cities.
I think that there is lots to do locally, and if you add in day trip attractions such as Heshey, The Crayola Factory, and Dorney Park there is actually MORE to do in WB than in most 'burbs.
All in all, I think that the greater Wilkes-Barre area is an amazing place to raise a family!
Wish we moved here sooner. My kids are very happy, and they can still have their friends from back home visit and visit their friends.

They also have happier less financially stressed parents! A big plus at any age!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania