Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

I do wish WB had things like a children's museum (or any museum really), a planetarium, riverfront restaurants, etc. There is definitely room for improvement. But I also think that one can keep themselves busy with what is in the city now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 06:22 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,276,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I do wish WB had things like a children's museum (or any museum really), a planetarium, riverfront restaurants, etc. There is definitely room for improvement. But I also think that one can keep themselves busy with what is in the city now.
It woul be nice to see some riverfront restaraunts and maybe a seafood themed bar and grill with outside seating, and I definatly think the city needs a history museum. Wilkes-Barre has such a rich history that goes back to colonial times and beyond.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:46 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
It woul be nice to see some riverfront restaraunts and maybe a seafood themed bar and grill with outside seating, and I definatly think the city needs a history museum.
How can you have riverfront restaurants, when the levees (which are very important) block the view of the river, except for the two holes they put it them. Riverfront restaurants are nice if you can actually see the river, like on Front St. in Harrisburg or across the river in Wormleysburg.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,184,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have never been the "Disney World", Children's this Children's that type of person.
I have always taken my children to regular museums, plays, etc.
There are offerings at local theater's here for children.
My kids are now teens, but I think you may be surprised at how they respond to events, performances exhibitions and shows not geared specifically to children. For example when my kids were 8 and 6, we took them to "Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat" They loved it!

Don't get me wrong. I have taken my children to Disney World once. And actually they want to go back this fall as teens, and so do I! I have nothing against children's museums. I'm all for them.
However, growing up, I did go to many museums. None were geared specifically towards children.

Locally they also enjoyed Eckley Miners Village and The Coal Museum in nearby Scranton when they were not yet teens. We have been visiting this area for a while, before deciding to move here.
LVN, you would be surprised at what your children may enjoy!
Eckley is no where close to being part of WB, nor is the mentioned museum in McDade park.

The "area" does offer some things for kids, however this is a thread about the virtues, or lack thereof, of Wilkes Barre.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
There is plenty to do in Wilkes Barre with or without kids. No it is not "family centered" - that would be the suburbs. Wilkes-Barre is a smallish city. The suburbs were made in the post war period specifically for families. The city was made for commerce, as were most cities.
I think that there is lots to do locally, and if you add in day trip attractions such as Heshey, The Crayola Factory, and Dorney Park there is actually MORE to do in WB than in most 'burbs.
All in all, I think that the greater Wilkes-Barre area is an amazing place to raise a family!
Wish we moved here sooner. My kids are very happy, and they can still have their friends from back home visit and visit their friends.

They also have happier less financially stressed parents! A big plus at any age!

Again, thread about WB, not a thread about driving 50 or 100 miles to go do something.

And your analogy that the city is for commerce and not families is hog wash. Even that hell hole city of Lancaster has a very nice Children's museum. WB and Lancaster have similar population sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
How can you have riverfront restaurants, when the levees (which are very important) block the view of the river, except for the two holes they put it them. Riverfront restaurants are nice if you can actually see the river, like on Front St. in Harrisburg or across the river in Wormleysburg.
This made me laugh.

You mean you don't want to sit and look at a concrete wall while eating?

Old 04-18-2011, 04:42 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think it would be nice to have riverfront restaurants as well. If only there were a highrise or two across the street from the river where one could open up a restaurant on a higher floor. Hmmmm....

Old 04-18-2011, 07:12 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Yes the thread is about Wilkes-Barre. What people love and hate about it. Not about "things to do with children."
Every day does not need to be a carnival for kids to have a good time. When they were younger, my children were happy in the spring flying kites and blowing bubbles. You can do that almost any where.
Actually, suburbs were planned originally around families, specifically to fulfill the need for housing for returning GIs from WWII. That is not "hogwash."
I and others, have been trying to be helpful to you to offer suggestions about what to do in the area, and perhaps open your mind to the fact that even though a museum does not have the word "children" in it's title, they still might enjoy it!

I mean shopping at the Farmer's Market can be an educational experience! Just think of it - where else can you see Amish people selling produce and pies, alongside stands selling Welsh, Slovak, Italian, Polish and other goodies? They can select their own lunch and you can have a pick nick! Later you can do some research with them about the countries that were represented at the market.

If you think a particular park is littered - organize a spring clean up!
Really there is lots to do!
If you are interested in sending your children to a summer camp for two weeks, there is a wonderful camp up in Orson PA. A very creative place with many enriching activities.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:44 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Yes the thread is about Wilkes-Barre. What people love and hate about it. Not about "things to do with children."
Every day does not need to be a carnival for kids to have a good time. When they were younger, my children were happy in the spring flying kites and blowing bubbles. You can do that almost any where.
Actually, suburbs were planned originally around families, specifically to fulfill the need for housing for returning GIs from WWII. That is not "hogwash."
I and others, have been trying to be helpful to you to offer suggestions about what to do in the area, and perhaps open your mind to the fact that even though a museum does not have the word "children" in it's title, they still might enjoy it!

I mean shopping at the Farmer's Market can be an educational experience! Just think of it - where else can you see Amish people selling produce and pies, alongside stands selling Welsh, Slovak, Italian, Polish and other goodies? They can select their own lunch and you can have a pick nick! Later you can do some research with them about the countries that were represented at the market.

If you think a particular park is littered - organize a spring clean up!
Really there is lots to do!
If you are interested in sending your children to a summer camp for two weeks, there is a wonderful camp up in Orson PA. A very creative place with many enriching activities.
Exactly. Some people need to be entertained rather than entertaining themselves, I guess. Not that a children's museum wouldn't be nice, but if you live around here, how often would you go to a museum? Once a year at the most. I can count all the times I've been to Steamtown and the Anthracite Museum/Coal mine tour on one hand. Same for the Everhart. I have taken my kids to the Everhart once, same for Steamtown (actually 3 times to Steamtown) and the Trolley Museum. Its not as if a museum is something you'd go to every week.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Then why did you decide to pontificate about "Sheena's Adventures with Kids"?

Quote:
Really? Summer camp? I never thought about sending kids to summer camp, what a novel idea. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
but if you live around here, how often would you go to a museum? Once a year at the most.
I wish I had some sarcastic reply, but I don't. What a sad commentary on the populace of NEPA.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:17 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post

I wish I had some sarcastic reply, but I don't. What a sad commentary on the populace of NEPA.

Huh? So people usually go to the same museums every week? Where? Do you think people in Philly go to the Franklin Institute or the Art Museum every week? Do people in the Lehigh Valley go to the Crayola Factory 10 times a year? Do people in Washington go the Smithsonian constantly? I doubt it.

Not sure I get this sentiment among some that feel they need to be entertained 24-7. Are you incapable of entertaining yourself? I have kids, and we never have a shortage of things to do....even if its just riding bikes, playing some baseball, flying a kite, going to a playground, etc etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania