Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 04:48 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Sounds like a bunch of men in a pool when the water's REAL cold!!!
That's hysterical! Now I'm going to have that mental image burned into my head this morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 04:52 AM

Jungle George and Summering, you both have awesome Christmas villages! Now I can't wait to get started on mine. Picked out a quilt shop to add to my village with my Mom this weekend (50% off at Michaels). Haven't started quilting yet, but is on my 'to do' list!

I'm getting ready for work here. Ugh. But I have off tomorrow. Yeah!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:59 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,455,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Jungle George and Summering, you both have awesome Christmas villages! Now I can't wait to get started on mine. Picked out a quilt shop to add to my village with my Mom this weekend (50% off at Michaels). Haven't started quilting yet, but is on my 'to do' list!

I'm getting ready for work here. Ugh. But I have off tomorrow. Yeah!

Hope everyone has a great day!
If you're looking for more village stuff, check Ebay!! Those pieces are usually very expensive (nice buy on the Quilt Shop!!) & if you shop around Ebay you can find ones pretty reasonable!!

Also, check under "model railroad" for some unique stuff there too!!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:31 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
That's hysterical! Now I'm going to have that mental image burned into my head this morning!
It immediately made me think of the "shrinkage" episode of Seinfeld with George!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
If you're looking for more village stuff, check Ebay!! Those pieces are usually very expensive (nice buy on the Quilt Shop!!) & if you shop around Ebay you can find ones pretty reasonable!!

Also, check under "model railroad" for some unique stuff there too!!
I haven't ventured forth into the world of Ebay yet. I'm still small time - yard sales and craigslist. I'm a touchy feely type - I need to see something with my own eyes to decide if it's worth buying. Catalogs and online shopping aren't my thing unless I already know what I want and can get it cheaper. Besides, I know a few people who are a bit addicted to Ebay, so much so they blocked the site from people at work!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:15 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
JG I am not even gonna' ask you if you played with Shrinky Dinks when you were a kid.........Nope...LOL Will we ever see that in the same light again.........

Liallycat.......Oh I am so excited for your village, I have no quilt shop! ........I am going to do a very much smaller scene within the hutch. Just something different. Now that is a different type of shop for me..........I'll have to look for that one.

PA.........No I don't do Christmas things yet. Just that hutch..........That will light late TGiving night.
Along with the front door area, outside. Traditionally, we do light up outside that night.
I had to just move the 15 foot table into the family room. My dining room is too square to set that up. We use to have a seperate kids table off to the side. The kitchen is where it usually is........lots of space there in front of a bay window. But, all the fuss in the kitchen, the heat, it becomes a madhouse..........LOL
So off to a nice spot in the family room.............I just polished it up.........and I have orange placemats.
Ebay............I have to get back to you with the collectible homes that when the man died, whew....they left the store. Now they are high on ebay...........
Such fun times!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:43 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,455,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
JG I am not even gonna' ask you if you played with Shrinky Dinks when you were a kid.........Nope...LOL Will we ever see that in the same light again.........
ROFLMAO!!! Nope!! Never played with Shrinky Dinks!! (as a child...) AND...contrary to popular belief, I didn't have an Easy-Bake Oven neither!!!

Funny how I remember the toys I DID have!! Since my folks didn't have much extra money, here's the toys I had...
1) A G.I. Joe from the Salvation Army with 1 foot missing.
2) A Tonka dumptruck.
3) 2 plastic horses a neighbor got me.
4) A few plastic bats & whiffle balls.
5) A Slinky & Etch-A-Sketch
6) Roller skates (with the key) that clamped on your sneakers.
7) The "Lost In Space" plastic robot.

That was it!!

When I was older I got $1.00 a week allowance for doing "chores", so I saved up to buy one of those record players in the "suitcase" (and 45's), my own transistor radio & a tape recorder (like the one on the old "Mission Impossible" with the 2 spools!!)

As far back as I can remember I was interested JUST in music, & I made a lotta playthings outta clothespins & assorted junk found.

Don't feel like I "missed out" on anything either!!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 AM

I was just talking to a friend today about toys. When we were kids, you used your imagination and played with toys. Now the toys do everything and the kids just watch and are entertained by it.

My favorite toys:
1. Lincoln Logs
2. Brenda Breyer and my Breyer horses (with the barn my great grandfather built)
3. Etch-a-sketch
4. Clue (the game)
5. Hungry Hungry Hippos

I still have my unbroken Breyers and the barn. No idea what happened to Brenda though. I also still have my Clue game. I may have to get a set of lincoln logs. May be the closest I'll ever get to owning a log home! LOL! Toys were way cooler when we were younger.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:45 AM

910 posts, read 2,993,453 times
I had a record player suitcase too! It was sweet. My dad was a record executive so we had just about any record you can think of. Nothing better than Led Zepplin at 5 years old! Now my son is into Led Zepplin at 5, xm/sirius is running a month of them on their own channel

Yes Cathy Shrinky Dinks are back! You can get them in regular stores and I think I saw them in AC Moore last week, or at least I saw the 'paper' to make your own. They have a great kids section with some crafty gifts.

I do the Christmas village too, but I paint the ceramic ones. I had to stop because I just have no more room! I'm back to working on a doll house I started about 8 years ago. Put down some carpet in the dining room last night, trimmed out some windows, and now I'm trying to figure out how to cut the angles for the corners of the base modeling. Anyone know how? I'm a math teacher, and I'm great at angles, but for some reason these just aren't working out.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:18 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,768,442 times
I wasn't going to do my village this year...but looking at all the pics..well...maybe I'll do it!
So much work...and it has to be 'just so' or I am not happy. I loved it when I could put it under the tree....now with the pooch...thats just not possible!

Childhood toys.....Trouble...the game....
I was a big Barbie fan...my Barbie had EVERYTHING! An a manly GI Joe too!
Played outside ALOT...not like kids today.
Big fat chalk for hop scotch...some game called War, you drew a big circle and sliced it like a pie, each kid stood on a slice and named it a country...then you took your ever famous pensy pinky ball and one person would declare war on whoever....everyone ran, the person who war was declared on had to get the ball and tag someone with it before they got back to base.
Roller skates with the key!!!
Jump rope.

E-Bay...I'm a BIG fan! I might treat myself to some accessories for the village!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania