Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 11:58 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times

Advertisements

I was out picking up the Turkey this morning. Usually I get a free one from Shop Rite but this year it was from Giants in Wind Gap. I have been shopping at Giants lately. Ah, just a change of pace.....

I hope everyone is using the Turkey BAGS this season. I have found them to be a real big timesaver.
Not having to get up 5 or 6 SM in the morning to cook the turkey. The hours saved with the cooking bags are a joy! One great invention I'd say.........I can still make a ton of gravy from whats in the bag plus adding some additional broths..........

I was out buying a birthday gift card too. Be careful everyone. I posted in the" Shopping thread" about the stores that are closing or in trouble. Who wants to spend for a gift card that can't be used?
Wheweee, we have had some snow sprinkles in the air~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,308 times
Back when I was a carnivore, I used to use those turkey bags too. Made a moist turkey, if I remember correctly. Haven't made a turkey now in years. The only turkey I'll be making this year will be cupcakes that I'll frost into turkey shapes with candy corn tailfeathers and beaks. Saw them here Turkey Cupcakes from Betty Crocker. Of course, I'll make my own icing but I'll probably cheat and use a boxed carrot cake mix for the cupcakes. I love carrot cake cupcakes - mmm....

Old 11-18-2008, 01:25 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,768,442 times
I like to make my turkey in those large speckled enamel roasting pans with the lid....cooks up real fast.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:53 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,308 times
[SIZE=3]Something fun to get us in the holiday spirit. And perhaps to drive our families nuts with on Christmas Day....

Christmas Carol Quiz

Identify, if you can, the songs from the clues. I'll post the answers tomorrow morning.
  • The apartment of 2 psychiatrists.
  • The lad is a diminutive percussionist.
  • Festoon the entryways with colorful decorations
  • Sir Lancelot with laryngitis
  • A B C D E F G H I J K M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
  • Present me naughty but dual incisors for this festive yuletide
  • The event transpired when a smogless bewitching hour arrived
  • Exuberation to this orb.
  • 288 Yuletide hours
  • Do you perceive the same longitudinal pressure which stimulates my auditory sense organs
  • The red-suited pa is due in the burg
  • Stepping on the pad cover
  • Uncouth dolt has is beezer in the booze and thinks he is a Dark Cloud’s boyfriend
  • Far back in a hay bin
  • Leave and do an elevated broadcast
  • That exiguous hamlet south of the holy city
  • Behold! I envisioned a trio of nautical vessels.
  • Listen, the winged heavenly messengers are proclaiming tunefully
  • A joyful song relative to hollow metallic vessels which vibrate and bring forth a ringing sound when struck
  • As the guardians of little woolly animal’s protected their charges in the shadows of the earth.
[/SIZE]

Old 11-18-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
I'm making 2 loaves of Herb & Roasted Garlic Bread today....I'll trade some...
Summering can't eat garlic.....alas....How about a Pumpkin Pie

Oh gosh, I'm working on the songs.........I think I have some, some are a BLANK........we need Musicfreak, I am going to go find her.......hohohohohoh....

Old 11-18-2008, 04:15 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,455,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Back when I was a carnivore, I used to use those turkey bags too. Made a moist turkey, if I remember correctly. Haven't made a turkey now in years. The only turkey I'll be making this year will be cupcakes that I'll frost into turkey shapes with candy corn tailfeathers and beaks. Saw them here Turkey Cupcakes from Betty Crocker. Of course, I'll make my own icing but I'll probably cheat and use a boxed carrot cake mix for the cupcakes. I love carrot cake cupcakes - mmm....
If you're a vegetarian (like me), there's a product you can find in Whole Foods (& other food & health food stores with an "upscale" vegetarian selection) made by a British company called "Quorn's". It's a vegetarian turkey roast & it's made mainly of mushroom protein.

I tried it a few months back & let me tell you!! My partner is a "meat 'n' potatoes carnivore who turns his nose up at anything "vegetarian". I made him try a taste & he couldn't believe it wasn't real turkey!!

Here's their website...

Quorn ~ Healthy meat-free chilled and frozen foods, ingredients, ready meals and recipes

There's an area once you get into the USA section where you can type in your zipcode & find a store near you that carries their products!!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:22 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,626,594 times
Identify, if you can, the songs from the clues. I'll post the answers tomorrow morning.

The apartment of 2 psychiatrists.
Nutcracker Suite

Festoon the entryways with colorful decorations
Deck the Halls with boughs of Holly

288 Yuletide hours
12 days of Christmas (?)

Far back in a hay bin
Away in a Manger

Behold! I envisioned a trio of nautical vessels.
I saw three Ships

Sir Lancelot with laryngitis
Silent Night

Leave and do an elevated broadcast
Go tell it on the Mountain

Do you perceive the same longitudinal pressure which stimulates my auditory sense organs
Do you hear what I hear

The lad is a diminutive percussionist.
The Little Drummer Boy

Last edited by MusicFreak; 11-18-2008 at 04:35 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 05:04 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,455,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Summering can't eat garlic.....alas....How about a Pumpkin Pie

Oh gosh, I'm working on the songs.........I think I have some, some are a BLANK........we need Musicfreak, I am going to go find her.......hohohohohoh....
Lookee Mrs. Summering!! I finally got 1 going!!

It's going down to 47 tonite & I was bound & determined!!

Since we're doing Xmas music tonite...."George's nuts roasting on an open fire....)

Last edited by Jungle George; 04-11-2009 at 05:58 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 05:10 PM

• The apartment of 2 psychiatrists. Blue Christmas Musicfreak was right.........Yes, The Nutcracker Suite......by golly!
  • The lad is a diminutive percussionist. The little drummer boy
  • Festoon the entryways with colorful decorations Deck the Halls
  • Sir Lancelot with laryngitis Silent Night........bahhhhh
  • A B C D E F G H I J K M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z boo........
  • Present me naughty but dual incisors for this festive yuletide All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth
  • The event transpired when a smogless bewitching hour arrived It came upon a Midnight Clear
  • Exuberation to this orb. Joy to the World
  • 288 Yuletide hours 12 Days of Christmas
  • Do you perceive the same longitudinal pressure which stimulates my auditory sense organs Do you hear what I hear?
  • The red-suited pa is due in the burg Santa Claus is coming to town.
  • Stepping on the pad cover Rodolph the Red nosed reindeer
  • Uncouth dolt has is beezer in the booze and thinks he is a Dark Cloud’s boyfriend The Grinch (?)
  • Far back in a hay bin Away in a Manger
  • Leave and do an elevated broadcast Go tell it on the mountain
  • That exiguous hamlet south of the holy city Oh little town of Bethlehem
  • Behold! I envisioned a trio of nautical vessels. I saw three ships
  • Listen, the winged heavenly messengers are proclaiming tunefully Angels we have heard on high....or perhaps...O' Holy Night!
  • A joyful song relative to hollow metallic vessels which vibrate and bring forth a ringing sound when struck Jingle Bells, ( Oh jingle all the way~~)
  • As the guardians of little woolly animal’s protected their charges in the shadows of the earth. 23rd Psalm or Shepards song........
  • OK best I could do with no peakin'..........I know our" best song person" Musicfreak came along to help. She is a pro with music, thanks buddy.
  • I know some I did were wrong....but.......I tried hard....fa la la la la
[/SIZE]

Last edited by Summering; 11-18-2008 at 05:25 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
If you're a vegetarian (like me), there's a product you can find in Whole Foods (& other food & health food stores with an "upscale" vegetarian selection) made by a British company called "Quorn's". It's a vegetarian turkey roast & it's made mainly of mushroom protein.

I tried it a few months back & let me tell you!! My partner is a "meat 'n' potatoes carnivore who turns his nose up at anything "vegetarian". I made him try a taste & he couldn't believe it wasn't real turkey!!

Here's their website...

Quorn ~ Healthy meat-free chilled and frozen foods, ingredients, ready meals and recipes

There's an area once you get into the USA section where you can type in your zipcode & find a store near you that carries their products!!
I just kinda ugh, the word carnivore.....
I really don't like a lot of meats. But, our family is so darn fussy that it has to be in there. I have a hubby who likes one veggy, about two fruits.....and no salads!!~! This his entire life, and I changed very little of his eating habits, but managed to add a few things...Yea!
My house would be all fruit, if I only could change the extended family views.........LOL
Ok back to those songs........
Music Freak got that first one, darn...........didn't think of it..nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania