Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 08:33 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Our neighbor down the street must think like your daughter!!
I'm starting to put up our lights today Since we'll be spending Christmas in NJ with my family, I want all the lights to be up by Thanksgiving (having that at my house) so that everyone can get to see them. We're going all out.....think "Griswold house" from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 09:00 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
Ok, a story for you. I was at work one year thinking of how I'd like this sophisticated home for Christmas. Oh, maybe all white lights, and a big wreath with a fancy bow.
I start heading down the street, home from work, tired.......but gleeful thinking of the way the house would look.
All of a sudden through the trees I see this bright green lighting.........glowing........shaped like a Christmas tree. ( the roof had an angle between upper windows).........
I say to myself," is that my house"? " No, can't be"
I turn down my street.......and Lo' and behold......There is my oldest daughter and my husband, (that Mr Summering) bedecking the home with a bright, huge, bunch of lights in Christmas tree form.
Well, Me Oh My Oh.........and music is playing. JINGLE BELL ROCK..so they are laughing and singing.
The neighbors were out laughing and singing too!
All I could do is shake my head and laugh at the scene. All that merry music flowing in the air....
So that was our Griswald Christmas, and one that is never forgotten.
When the song comes on the radio.........a smile comes to our faces.
I see them on a ladder, singing........and the joy it brought to the neighborhood.
I did exclaim at the time........."Wait, Wait, I was doing all white lights!" But, how could my
Martha Stewart home compare with that day.........and that delight.
Some things are just "meant to be" and that was one of those precious times.
We smile just to think about it........

Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,768,442 times
We do the 'Griswold' thing too. It is our gift for each other and all who enjoy it! Many people comment on what our electric bill must be, but I would never dream on commenting on what they spend in 'material' gifts each Christmas. We enjoy doing it. It's nice to come driving down the street and see this REALLY lit up house and realize it's yours!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:54 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Ok, a story for you. I was at work one year thinking of how I'd like this sophisticated home for Christmas. Oh, maybe all white lights, and a big wreath with a fancy bow.
I start heading down the street, home from work, tired.......but gleeful thinking of the way the house would look.
All of a sudden through the trees I see this bright green lighting.........glowing........shaped like a Christmas tree. ( the roof had an angle between upper windows).........
I say to myself," is that my house"? " No, can't be"
I turn down my street.......and Lo' and behold......There is my oldest daughter and my husband, (that Mr Summering) bedecking the home with a bright, huge, bunch of lights in Christmas tree form.
Well, Me Oh My Oh.........and music is playing. JINGLE BELL ROCK..so they are laughing and singing.
The neighbors were out laughing and singing too!
All I could do is shake my head and laugh at the scene. All that merry music flowing in the air....
So that was our Griswald Christmas, and one that is never forgotten.
When the song comes on the radio.........a smile comes to our faces.
I see them on a ladder, singing........and the joy it brought to the neighborhood.
I did exclaim at the time........."Wait, Wait, I was doing all white lights!" But, how could my
Martha Stewart home compare with that day.........and that delight.
Some things are just "meant to be" and that was one of those precious times.
We smile just to think about it........
what a nice memory Summering....put a smile on my face

Old 11-16-2008, 02:51 PM

Today the little fellows were surprised to see the Christmas scene. They asked me a lot about it, and they knew I had certain pieces missing. ( I have left spots for the Bike Shop, and the Church, which must be in the wrong box, with the wrong tag on it)
I found one of them taking the polar bears that are riding a sled, and making sure they had a good time........zooming through the snow.
One thing I never did is have the little hands stay away......( mostly, anyhow, after 2years old)...
It was ok if they took a figure and had it meander to the pond, or to visit one of the houses.....
They question me on my location choices. Why the fishing shops are located in that area, and what is a nautical shop? Is the pond really a mirror?
Why did you put it up early. Well, that was easy enough to explain. " So you'd have time to see it, and enjoy it.........because Christmas Day is so busy around here."
Their Mom was in the city today, but I'm sure they will be buggin' her to put theirs up too.
All the work of fixing it, lugging boxes, making a big mess........drifts away when you see the little eyes light up, and the questions being asked. Memories are made of this~~~~~

Old 11-16-2008, 10:16 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
When I buy my home in Hyde Park, Scranton, its display will be along the lines of this every Christmas season (only the house will have character and won't be a tract-produced piece of trash like this one):

YouTube - Frisco Christmas Lights - Wizards in Winter

In fact, I might just buy a home in Lower Green Ridge instead to blast my music until 3 AM and annoy a certain fellow City-Data member with a penchant for being ticked off easily.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:37 AM

OH gosh, can you imagine being the neighbor. It is quite interesting.........but..........perhaps, for an hour each night. Tops TWO!
I am one of those people who would rather buy gifts for those I love, and those I admire........and those in great need............then to pay my PP&L a huge tiding after Christmas.
I'm doing something smaller, and charming( light wise)..........and the whole idea makes me smile.
My house is so far off the road, partly hidden.........it doesn't matter that much.
I think I'll fill up the lighted sled, with "pretend" gifts and bows.......I really love the sled.
Especailly...........When it SNOWS! Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow~~~~~~~

Old 11-17-2008, 06:48 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,455,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
OH gosh, can you imagine being the neighbor. It is quite interesting.........but..........perhaps, for an hour each night. Tops TWO!
I am one of those people who would rather buy gifts for those I love, and those I admire........and those in great need............then to pay my PP&L a huge tiding after Christmas.
I'm doing something smaller, and charming( light wise)..........and the whole idea makes me smile.
My house is so far off the road, partly hidden.........it doesn't matter that much.
I think I'll fill up the lighted sled, with "pretend" gifts and bows.......I really love the sled.
Especailly...........When it SNOWS! Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow~~~~~~~
When I lived up north, I never decorated outside...we were alone on top of a mountain with nobody in sight. When I moved to Florida, the 1st Xmas I rigged up Santa in his sleigh being pulled by flamingos over the driveway, lights up 1 palm tree, & set up our dancing Hula Santa by the garage door & that was it. Now that nobody can even see the house with all the jungle grown up, I stick a wreath on the front door & call it a day!!

I never saw so many Xmas displays 'til I moved here!! I guess folks are making up for the lack of snow & cold...

Old 11-17-2008, 06:52 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,455,621 times
Now I see there's a "graph" up top of my CD page....anybody else got it??

Paul...are you doing surveys & statistics again???

Old 11-17-2008, 06:56 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Now I see there's a "graph" up top of my CD page....anybody else got it??

Paul...are you doing surveys & statistics again???

I see it too. I don't remember seeing it before today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania