Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 07:17 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,386,067 times

Advertisements

Well, like I said before, I caught wind that Hillary (via a hacked email) is a day drinker and doesn't bathe often. Has to have her staff start sobering up after a lunchtime nap just to make a speaking appearance. Woman is after my heart... I hope when I'm her age I can get away with that. Then again, I'd drink a lot too if I had so much blood on my hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 08:57 AM

706 posts, read 1,312,785 times
The racism and xenophobia I have read on various forums on this board are sickening. Not shocking a message board is conservative, but still shocking. I hope Trump gets clobbered and those ignorant folks all move back to Mississippi where they belong.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:20 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,123,276 times
Final pre-election tally of yard signs in my McLean neighborhood: Clinton 2, Johnson 1, Trump 0. It's a fairly close-knit neighborhood, and I think people just aren't interested in getting into political fights with neighbors. In 2012, when the rhetoric was less heated, there were far more signs in yards.

In the general area of southern McLean and West Falls Church, I see about 7 Clinton signs for every Johnson, Trump or McMullin sign (there are actually more McMullin signs than Trump signs on display). It's an area that will almost surely contribute to Clinton's running up large margins in NoVa.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:39 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
Final pre-election tally of yard signs in my McLean neighborhood: Clinton 2, Johnson 1, Trump 0. It's a fairly close-knit neighborhood, and I think people just aren't interested in getting into political fights with neighbors. In 2012, when the rhetoric was less heated, there were far more signs in yards.

In the general area of southern McLean and West Falls Church, I see about 7 Clinton signs for every Johnson, Trump or McMullin sign (there are actually more McMullin signs than Trump signs on display). It's an area that will almost surely contribute to Clinton's running up large margins in NoVa.
In Vienna, Fairfax, and Oakton, I have seen more Connolly signs than anything else by far. I'd say 5 Hillary signs, 1 Johnson, and no Trump.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:07 PM

4,906 posts, read 7,493,401 times
So, curiousity got the better of me and I went to a rally today in Manassas.

Ivanka and Tiffany Trump were the headliners, joined by an extremely fired-up Frank Wolf and a wonderful lady who had been a Bush appointee but I didn't catch her name.

Don't kid yourself if you think it's all white men -- probably 50-50 but I was very surprised at the large number of YOUNG women. The crowd was predominately white but there were a number of black, Hispanic, Asian. Quite a mix. Many with children in tow since schools were off.

The auditorium was set for 700ish (per the organizer) and there were, maybe, 50 seats empty. A nice lady reporter from the BBC asked me a few questions. The tv stations were from as far away as WDBJ in Roanoke.

The Bush appointee asked some questions -- how many women? Like I said probably 50-50. How many college educated? At least 3/4 raised hand. How many concerned about Supreme Court -- huge roar. Obamacare -- huge roar.

It was an interesting day and quite a turnout for two daughters. (Lovely btw)

Old 11-08-2016, 05:27 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,469 times
Loudoun is listed as a bellwether county here.

Election 2016: Top Counties Needed For Clinton, Trump To Win : NPR

Old 11-08-2016, 08:18 AM

771 posts, read 1,465,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Loudoun is listed as a bellwether county here.

Election 2016: Top Counties Needed For Clinton, Trump To Win : NPR
Loudoun is a perfect bellwether county, not just for Virginia but for the entire country. The fact that its both a suburban and a rural county, with very diverse and very non diverse regions make it a great micro version of America.

I think this will be reflected in a split decision here: Clinton and Comstock will come out on top.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:30 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,762,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Loudoun is a perfect bellwether county, not just for Virginia but for the entire country. The fact that its both a suburban and a rural county, with very diverse and very non diverse regions make it a great micro version of America.

I think this will be reflected in a split decision here: Clinton and Comstock will come out on top.
All that is true about its suburban/rural nature--but Loudoun is not economically diverse. In fact, do I recall right that it's the highest-income county in the USA? (Though obviously if one looks at property value rather than income, Santa Barbara, Maui, Manhattan, and SFO would come in higher.) So I don't think it's a microcosm of anything other than "the affluent and newly suburban USA."

I think Loudoun will skew GOP, except that you do have some high-income Millennials, as well as affluent nonwhites, all of whom are as a group less in the R column.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:26 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,473,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
All that is true about its suburban/rural nature--but Loudoun is not economically diverse. In fact, do I recall right that it's the highest-income county in the USA? (Though obviously if one looks at property value rather than income, Santa Barbara, Maui, Manhattan, and SFO would come in higher.) So I don't think it's a microcosm of anything other than "the affluent and newly suburban USA."

I think Loudoun will skew GOP, except that you do have some high-income Millennials, as well as affluent nonwhites, all of whom are as a group less in the R column.
Agree. Also, there are no urban parts, and many Americans live in cities rather than exurbs. Loudoun's educational levels are also much higher than average, and my guess would be that the average Loudoun age skews younger than the national average. So it may not have the most typical demographics.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:51 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,123,276 times
Here's another story that identifies Loudoun as a critical "swing state." It has less to do with the county being a microcosm of the state or country in terms of wealth or demographics, and more to do with the county tending to vote for the winning candidate and having a lot of voters who cross party lines depending on the race and candidates.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...mepage%2Fstory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia