Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 10:25 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times

Advertisements

what, Chabad invited you for dinner? You should go, they wont steal your soul, and you wont be so grouchy afterwards.

They're not in Old Town, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 AM

"JOBS, that is all you need to know."

where is your job that you only reach it from Alexandria?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 AM

23 posts, read 35,100 times
Tiger,
I have been to all over Europe,and have lived in India.Although fasinating places to visit,i did not want to live there fulltime.You are right in that observation.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:34 AM

461 posts, read 909,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
what, Chabad invited you for dinner? You should go, they wont steal your soul, and you wont be so grouchy afterwards.

They're not in Old Town, though.
Good point. Folks wouldn't get aggravated on Saturday because they couldn't drive. A pedestrian friendly religion. They should proselytize at the King Steet Metro.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:41 AM

167 posts, read 496,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"JOBS, that is all you need to know."

where is your job that you only reach it from Alexandria?
+1 with the question.

You can work in Alexandria and live in DC, Maryland, or even Rosslyn or Vienna in VA and just take metro or bus into Old town Alexandria. No job forces anyone that works in Alexandria to ONLY live in Alexandria. Or is there?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Good point. Folks wouldn't get aggravated on Saturday because they couldn't drive. A pedestrian friendly religion. They should proselytize at the King Steet Metro.
"Good point. Folks wouldn't get aggravated on Saturday because they couldn't drive. A pedestrian friendly religion. They should proselytize at the King Steet Metro."

There really is something wonderfully spiritual about walking to shul, and Orthodox Judaism IS pedestrian friendly. Chabad, though, in its attempt reach out to as many Jews as possible, looks the other way when folks drive there on shabbat.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need_more_light View Post
+1 with the question.

You can work in Alexandria and live in DC, Maryland, or even Rosslyn or Vienna in VA and just take metro or bus into Old town Alexandria. No job forces anyone that works in Alexandria to ONLY live in Alexandria. Or is there?

I'd say about 95 percent of the posts to CD are about compromises. Price vs home location vs jobs, etc. As bad as Ax is, I could imagine some folks eduring it over a commute up I-95. There can be spouses and lots of variables. Everyone situation is different. The sad story is that much of what draws people to this area and compels them to stay are jobs. I agree that not much needs to be said past that in justifying why people live where they do. Some are willing to tell their whole life story, but it's not necessary.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
+1 with the question.

People who move here for jobs from very rural settings, or very small towns with little sprawl, certainly don't have to opt for dense Alexandria city. But more than likely wherever they reside for their DC or NOVA job will put them in the midst of traffic, sprawl, and attitudes that they are unaccustomed to and may dislike. It's not just a matter of tightly-packed versus more spread out. It's all the other aspects of life in this area that can be more stressful than where they moved from, but move here they must, to make a living.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Wait. In the other thread, you said "If you move to NOVA, expect to only find friendly people in certain environments. Even in controlled ones, such as a church, I have found people to be aggressive, dangerous drivers, and rude." Now you're saying the professional folks are pretty top notch folks who can be approached and who have intelligence and social skills. Did you not know that probably at least 20-30% of the professional folks in DC actually live in NoVA? More than half of my friends that live in NoVA are working in DC. So you're saying that these people in DC are approachable, intelligent, and have social skills but they're aggressive, dangerous drivers, and rude in NoVA?? I don't get it
Thanks, I'm flattered that you went back and reviewed my other posts. Seriously.

Most of what we talk about is a mix of city planning, anthropology, transportation, economics, and geography. In the case of DC, a lot of it has to do with the built environment, the role that people are playing there, and the filtering process involved in their being there. During the day, these folks are all dressed up and have very good manners. My bias, but I find professionals in DC to be a slightly higher cut than your average worker, regardless of where they go home to at night. (I'm skipping the DC night scene for brevity.)

This is a complicated way of saying the when you go to Northeast DC (which is what I'm really talking about) during the day, you will have a better experince with folks than in NOVA. It's possible that these folks are part of the problem in NOVA when they come home at night. I'm sure there's a mix as people are individuals, but they're probably not the worse offenders.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
People who move here for jobs from very rural settings, or very small towns with little sprawl, certainly don't have to opt for dense Alexandria city. But more than likely wherever they reside for their DC or NOVA job will put them in the midst of traffic, sprawl, and attitudes that they are unaccustomed to and may dislike. It's not just a matter of tightly-packed versus more spread out. It's all the other aspects of life in this area that can be more stressful than where they moved from, but move here they must, to make a living.
But, if you REALLY think about it...it's the sprawl and traffic that people don't like. I think for most people, making their way to a little density of beautiful architecture, restaurants, generally happy people walking along...is a highlight that makes the rest tolerable.

Without that little spot....then it really is just sprawl, traffic, car-sitting, fast-food restaurants, and walking through parking lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia