Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 04:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@Whitviper1

"On the question of affordable housing, Ching reminded that the private property developments had to set aside at least 20 percent of its residential units for relatively lower-income occupants and families."

Further your avoiding the issue the issue is half of the families in honolulu make less then the meduim of $72,764 year. Now i ask you is half the buildings being built are they affordable for those making that meduim? If not the community isnt representing the needs of honolulu. But if you believe in Gentrification, classism then i guess its ok?
If you don't make $72,000 a year you should be renting or try a cheap condo.

Where do expect people who make over $72,000 to live that bothered to learn a trade or get an education

Old 02-10-2015, 04:08 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,113,367 times
Quote:
And i would humblely like to point out that those opposed to what ive been saying are people who own multiple properties etc. There should be a rule that one should disclose that while they post so people know what there motivations are and know what they post isnt truth or everyones reality.
I own properties here. But on the flip side I don't rent at a profit so my rents are all below market. They are all rented at cost plus a small cushion to maintain them properly. It's definitely a unique approach to real estate investing and landlording but it has worked for me. My little version of the HBH inside of me.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:22 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,766,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Sunset Strip View Post
Yah, WhiteViper, you land baron, you. Take that. And the low income units should be on the Penthouse levels, and have the best views AND Free AC for all of those stellar, low income performers - you land-barron, you.

HbH Virtually everone is opposed to what you say, for what you post is insanity. Think about it, seaside, premium location and lets set aside some for the low-income folks because they so deserve it, and don't forget the affordable dom Perignon, Ferrari's, Vette's, Vipers (white and otherwise), Lamborgini's etc - all at mandated affordable prices.

That'll teach them uppity land-barrons!!!!
Uhmm the Honolulu meduim family income level is $72,764 . another words 50% of famillies living in honolulu make less then that. Now look at the prices of the condos going up in Kakaako. Do they match up? What Happen to waikiki so that wasn't enough, ok we give you Ala Moana, Kaimuki, Ward Village, Hawaii Kai for gentrafication, not enough nieghborhoods?

Pg 1/2

Old 02-10-2015, 04:28 PM

Pg 2/2

Continued:
@77 Sunset Strip

We can justify anything, i imagine in the next generation that someone like you and me will be having the same conversation except it will be "why should low income people enjoy prime property as the north shore or waipahu"?

Old 02-10-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
I own properties here. But on the flip side I don't rent at a profit so my rents are all below market. They are all rented at cost plus a small cushion to maintain them properly. It's definitely a unique approach to real estate investing and landlording but it has worked for me. My little version of the HBH inside of me.
Thats why i will always love you uncle, your true local and aloha heart. Like ive said, localism and aloha is an attitude and way of life. You can be caucasian, not born on the islands and have it too. But its ok to make profit uncle. Just no be like the guy in natural disasters charging $10 for bottled water because he can. Or half a mill for a breadbox condo.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:46 PM

@77 Sunset Strip

Like i said its interesting how the line for primo land keeps inching west and in the next generation our children will be having the same talk except some rich mainlander will be saying why should common people enjoy prime land in waipahu or the north shore instead of Kakaako. Locus i say, locus mentality. Hawaii is one of the last Frontiers. So what are you going to do when all the islands are paved and every skyscraper is higher then diamond head? Will you finally say "eh maybe we should change our thinking because its unsubstainable" but unfortunately it will be to late by then.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:57 PM

^^^

Yup you will just move to another area, leaving behind areas like california or detroit in your wake to others to fix while spouting and pushing the same garbage that created places like california or detroit. Like maybe this time if i drink rum instead of whisky i won't get drunk?

Old 02-10-2015, 05:10 PM

In reality if the world doesn't reflect equality or love then whose fault is that? A guy like myself who tries to preach pono things and live a life of Aloha or you who continues to buy into and support a system that keeps inequality and division in place?

Old 02-10-2015, 05:46 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,239,991 times
Quote:
The problem isn't redeveloping that myself or others are against. We all feel Kakaako should be developed, its just alot of us feel its going to fast and not carefully planed for the future, further we want to see a redevelopment that reflects the community dynamics and stats. Not another community that is Gentrified to attract the rich mainlander or foreigners like waikiki and other areas have become. Its really that simple. The need for housing in the state of hawaii is for working class people who make less then 125k a year, not the housing that is targeted for those making more then 125k, we have plenty of that.
One of the complaints I have heard locally about this project is that it was approved years ago, and since the developers have finally gotten smart to the political corruption that is the zoning process, they are carefully building to the approved zoning specs with absolutely NO variances!

There is no additional approval process required, and the Graft Class is livid!

There are plenty of nice places out by me (Waianae) for $300,000-$400,000, and if you look you can find 3 bedroom homes in nice neighborhoods for the mid $200,000's - which is pretty dang affordable housing in Hawaii. The downside is you have to commute.

Pay for the house location, or pay with commute time, either way you pay to live in paradise!

FYI, I am a white non local guy living in Waianae, and nobody has been anything but nice to me, everybody takes off their shoes when entering a house, and Pidgen and English are both spoken here with equal fluency.

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 02-10-2015 at 06:53 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 06:50 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Everyone has their own world views, this is not the forum for that discussion. Please stay on topic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu