Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 10:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just as an aside, do you have any stats on that?

I can see that being quite likely, just never saw any information on that before.
We could start with opiates.

List of countries by prevalence of opiates use - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drinking?

The Heaviest-Drinking Countries in the World - 24/7 Wall St.

Marijuana?

Annual cannabis use by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-08-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Is this unique to Hawaii?
No, it depends on the context. All of the Kakaako towers referenced in the article have low income housing conditions. All of them.

Some just don't like the sound of that.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:32 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

None of what you say above has been my experience. Although I agree that everyone should learn to speak English properly and to communicate well.
You can communicate just fine with pidgin. There are varying degrees and intensities of pidgin; not all of it is unintelligible to intelligent well-spoken people.

For those on the forum that may know more about this... do people in the south that have strong southern accents receive the same degree of negativity (similar to how non-locals respond to pidgin here) regarding perceived professionalism and education levels? How about with Boston accents?

Old 02-08-2015, 10:55 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,041 times
@Colonel Domo

Who are you or I or anyone to tell a developer how to spend his or her money developing a project. If government approves the project, well that is it. This America, where we believe in Freedom and self-determination. Nobody is obligated to build housing YOU can afford, or grow food YOU can afford, or make clothes YOU can afford.

If a developer or a investor uses any tax money or government money to make his profits or build his buildings he should be required to follow a set of rules applied by the government or taxpayers and to better the whole community. You obviously don't believe in freedom and self-determination (or you only believe that for the rich) because we tell poor people in this country everyday what to do with there earned money if they get any government money, we even try to demand they do drug testing. Ever hear about the guy on foodstamps buying a lotto ticket, talk about freakout from the right? Shoot we even deny undesirables(homeless, etc) basic univer human rights.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-08-2015 at 11:14 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 11:06 PM

lol

Old 02-08-2015, 11:51 PM

^^^^

A handout is only a handout if its the poor right? Or welfare is only for the poor! yeah ive heard your twistted logic before and its as old as medevil times when Aristocrats rule. No i understand your ideal of freedom, where freedoms, rights and privileges are grantted on what you can afford or your class. Sorry not interested.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:52 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Well, before this thread gets locked.

I'd like to shift topics...

Kakaako is a great location for this plan. It's a good focal point between Waikiki, Downtown, and Ala Moana. Great for the neighborhoods around there as well. It'll add a lot of life and create something more interesting between all of those already great spots.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Well, before this thread gets locked.

I'd like to shift topics...

Kakaako is a great location for this plan. It's a good focal point between Waikiki, Downtown, and Ala Moana. Great for the neighborhoods around there as well. It'll add a lot of life and create something more interesting between all of those already great spots.
The problem isn't redeveloping that myself or others are against. We all feel Kakaako should be developed, its just alot of us feel its going to fast and not carefully planed for the future, further we want to see a redevelopment that reflects the community dynamics and stats. Not another community that is Gentrified to attract the rich mainlander or foreigners like waikiki and other areas have become. Its really that simple. The need for housing in the state of hawaii is for working class people who make less then 125k a year, not the housing that is targeted for those making more then 125k, we have plenty of that.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:48 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
The problem isn't redeveloping that myself or others are against. We all feel Kakaako should be developed, its just alot of us feel its going to fast and not carefully planed for the future, further we want to see a redevelopment that reflects the community dynamics and stats.
Well, on the plus side, I think anytime a smaller footprint is made to concentrate the 'wealth,' its better. They are going to go to Hawaii no matter what.

I find it worse when the wealth really spreads out and buys up a ton of land, and you have little left over for anyone else. Just think of this is as concentrated wealth in a much smaller footprint.

It also densifies the wealth which offers more amenities to everyone in the greater area. Which is completely different than wealth that buys up large swaths of private property, fences it, securitizes it, and shuts everyone else out.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Domo View Post
Ain't gonna happen. That kind of money isn't going to spent chasing low-incomes. Why would it?? Developers go where the profits are - not where they aren't.

Well like I've said before it's a careful plan. If they can't price you out or buy you out they will call the marines or outlaw your spiritual beliefs or language. Forget the fact that majority of Hawaii residents make less then 125k a year. This is the land of freedom and the same system that treats those who risk there lives for this country with less regard then ones right to make profit and be greedy without contributing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu