Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 12:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

I wonder how Hong Kong manages things? Aren't they about as densely populated as Kakaako is gonna be?
Trains, buses, everywhere. Cars often use highways that go underground, bypassing much of the traffic. Most of HK is highly walkable.

Honolulu and much of the U.S., really wastes a lot of space. HK/Japan/Asia manages space incredibly well.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:13 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Trains, buses, everywhere. Cars often use highways that go underground, bypassing much of the traffic. Most of HK is highly walkable.

Honolulu and much of the U.S., really wastes a lot of space. HK/Japan/Asia manages space incredibly well.

This. I found Hong Kong very easy to navigate as a pedestrian. I found the transportation fast and efficient.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-07-2015, 03:40 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Then you wouldn't move to areas like Manhattan, San Francisco, or possibly Kakaako. All allow cars but discourage the ownership by lack of parking and high fees.

I find "walking" communities very appealing, and I like the sense of community it develops, but I won't live without the freedom of a car.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-07-2015, 04:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Then you wouldn't move to areas like Manhattan, San Francisco, or possibly Kakaako. All allow cars but discourage the ownership by lack of parking and high fees.
While I agree about Manhattan - having lived in SF for 13 years, I can't imagine not having a car there. While a SF micro-community might be walkable - a car is a necessity for most. And those high-rises in Kakaako are all going to have plenty of parking for the residents.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:18 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Obviously you haven't been to Hong Kong, from which - Honolulu can learn a lot, especially from the architecture and public transportation.

Hong Kong is substantially smaller than Oahu, 400 square miles versus 600 square miles - yet has a population of about 7,000,000 versus less than a million on Oahu. That means about 18,000 people live in every square mile of Hong Kong versus about 1,600 on Oahu.

About 90% of the population use public transportation on Hong Kong.
I hear you but you forget that in order to live like Hong Kong, i imagine people in hong kong prob think really differently then people do in the west regarding material goods, how they treat each other and customs? I just don't see Oahu being a favorable place to live if 7,000,000 were living there and i would imagine the property market would go bust too? I just don't think most would be able to adapt to the changes.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I find "walking" communities very appealing, and I like the sense of community it develops, but I won't live without the freedom of a car.
+1 it wouldn't let me rep you. When i lived on Oahu i walked to 80% of the places i went to. I used to walk from kapahulu to ala moana shopping center and back everyother day. But then again i wasn't in a hurry. I really miss the take your time and smell the roses pace of life Oahu used to have. Lol its funny because i was just talking to my mother a few days ago who mentioned how her employers would let there employees take a Siesta + the normal legal breaks during a work day. Things have changed.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Domo View Post
Did you ever walk to Dillingham or Waimea or Shark's Cove, or Hanauma, or Pokai?
Nope longest trek was waipahu and aiea. But that was the cool thing about "da bus" it took you all over the island for about .25

Anyway i didn't get the chance to say welcome to CDF Hawaii and E komo mai

So how far back do you go in Hawaii brah or how long you live?

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-07-2015 at 08:27 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 08:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Domo View Post
Just today, we drove about 5 miles N. to the Filipino store for grindz, then to Leslie's for pool supplies, and then to Sports Chalet for some exercise equip. Now about 7 miles in the opposite direction to our Place of Business. Later to Costco, another Sports Chalet, and the Post Office, and then Home Depot for some Potting Soil and bark chip mulch.

The concept of living life subject to the whims of, and dependent on, others for something as basic as transport is, for us, a non-starter. It is so absolutely limiting as to be beyond useless.
Well, as a person who has lived in Asia for a couple decades. One of the beautiful things about it, is you can step outside your front door, and have all of those things within a short walk away, and you'd be back in your home within an hour. I'd imagine if you had to drive around to all of those places, you probably spent double the time just driving to parking spaces and having to walk through parking lots.

I find quality of life goes up by quantum leaps, when you have everything just out your front door. When I get to car-dependent parts of the U.S., I find it quite inefficient to have to jump in a car, just to get a newspaper or a soda.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Nope longest trek was waipahu and aiea. But that was the cool thing about "da bus" it took you all over the island for about .25
It's is called The Bus. If you've been here the past 40 years you would know that.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It's is called The Bus. If you've been here the past 40 years you would know that.
So are you now admitting that Hawaii has a unique culture now? That only those who live there currently know truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu