Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 03:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But our local politicians don't have high standards either.....
We have found some common ground - it is amazing that is the best we can do.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:53 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We have found some common ground - it is amazing that is the best we can do.
Nah. We agreed on horrible public schools.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-08-2015, 03:58 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,285 times
@whtviper1

Once again you have had six residents and 2 former residents tell you they take there shoes off and respect local custems? So what is it? Are we all not from Hawaii or lying, are we all low class or is it that you don't respect others? Because despite others telling you your full of it you keep marching to your drum. So much for living on the island eh?

Old 02-08-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I meant - it is amazing the politicians we elect is the best we can do.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post

Once again you have had six residents and 2 former residents
Wow, what was I thinking - 6 residents and 2 former residents. I stand corrected.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I meant - it is amazing the politicians we elect is the best we can do.
ROFL. Agreed.

I gave up when I saw a poll where the legislature was given a 20-something approval rating, BUT the same poll gave their OWN legislators an 80-something approval rating.

Hawaii wants change, as long as they are not the ones to do it.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:11 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,285 times
Quote:
Lets be fair since we are blasting Hawaii education levels etc, lets look at mainland education and see what they produce. These are facts that whtviper1 wont mention. Our mainland education system has created one of the highest prison population in the world, have created the highest addiction rates, have created one of the highest wealth/income gaps in the world and the mainland has one of the highest divorce rates in the world. Should we go on?

Old 02-08-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Lets be fair since we are blasting Hawaii education levels etc, lets look at mainland education and see what they produce. These are facts that whtviper1 wont mention. Our mainland education system has created one of the highest prison population in the world, have the highest addiction rates, have created one of the highest wealth/income gaps in the world. Should we go on.
I disagree. I have seen no evidence that the quality of schools is linked to those things.

What CAN be quantified are test levels. My schooling on the mainland was a vast improvement from what I see here. I have no specific information I confess. One of my best friends is a teachers teacher and I have one child in middle school. Actually kidlet's school is not bad. They are strict, enforce policies and will not pass without competencies demonstrated.

My opinion.... we are sooooo liberal here, that we have to integrate and put time and effort into those who arrive who do not speak English, that money and resources are very diluted. We can't "separate" anyone because it might make them feel bad. We have one of the largest bureaucracies you have ever seen! Money is funneled into administrative positions and not the children.

The state once tried to get a reading on the money that makes it down to a student level..... couldn't even agree on a range!!

Old 02-08-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Lets be fair since we are blasting Hawaii education levels etc, lets look at mainland education and see what they produce. These are facts that whtviper1 wont mention. Our mainland education system has created one of the highest prison population in the world, have created the highest addiction rates, have created one of the highest wealth/income gaps in the world and the mainland has one of the highest divorce rates in the world.
Education is not the reason for wealth gaps (by the way, US is not #1 - Mexico and others are higher) - in fact, it is lack of education - like dropouts and parents not being held accountable.

The beauty of the US is that if one applies themselves, they have an opportunity to go to college regardless of income.

Did you know Belgium has a divorce rate of 71%?

As far as addiction - US barely cracks the top 10 - try visiting the UK or even France.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:29 PM

Okay, I'll confess here because it is pertinent.

I dropped out after completing 9th grade (some 10th but did not complete).

I've had no problems getting ahead. I work hard and try to learn everything I can. I've never had welfare or any help. I legally became an adult right after my 16th birthday and lived on my own.

I have little toleration for those complain and look for handouts. I honestly feel it is easy to get ahead for those that are willing to apply themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu