Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 02:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Disagree. A lot.

I've worked for large corporations and been to plenty of meetings in some luxurious boardrooms, and pidgin is still busted out. Sometimes for emphasis, humor, or to say something bad, but not sound as bad.
I work at one of the top 5 employers in the State - you'd be fired in the corporate office if you decided to "bust out the Pidgin" even as humor/mocking - period. Fortunately, they have all mastered the English sufficiently as to not lower themselves to that level.

I'll also add, a large number of "local" people even with college degrees don't get hired where I work because they lack proper verbal skills, and they aren't even speaking pidgin but you can barely understand them. They can't even get past the phone interview. I think that is one of the biggest problems with the Hawaii public school system - most of our corporate "local" hires came from private schools not because of a preference - but just basic verbal skills.

Last edited by whtviper1; 02-08-2015 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
That there are a ton of local/hawaiian/asian etc culture things in Oahu that are just awsome that your really missing out on. Honest.
I don't miss out on anything - because I actually live here. That is an odd statement from someone who hasn't even been to Hawaii in 40 years and can live Hawaii via YouTube videos.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:59 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't miss out on anything - because I actually live here. That is an odd statement from someone who hasn't even been to Hawaii in 40 years and can live Hawaii via YouTube videos.
Ok im done wit you, i wouldn't even throw hot pennies at your rich mainland okole, you my friend are low class inside.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:14 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,285 times
Quote:
Well obviously that isn't true, because in reality you don't know that its custom to take off shoes in a hawaii home, you are not aware that people do speak pidgin and you think hawaii is like the mainland in everyway? Its obvious that despite you living in Hawaii for the time you either are not paying attention or you sheltered yourself from it? As for you attacking me with your garbage i have to ask is it because im native(racism) or that i pride myself and lean towards being local( low class to you and just classism another form of hate) Because obviously your not attacking me on fact.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:29 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
I work at one of the top 5 employers in the State - you'd be fired in the corporate office if you decided to "bust out the Pidgin" even as humor/mocking - period. Fortunately, they have all mastered the English sufficiently as to not lower themselves to that level.

I'll also add, a large number of "local" people even with college degrees don't get hired where I work because they lack proper verbal skills, and they aren't even speaking pidgin but you can barely understand them. They can't even get past the phone interview. I think that is one of the biggest problems with the Hawaii public school system - most of our corporate "local" hires came from private schools not because of a preference - but just basic verbal skills.
Well I worked for the #1 employer in the state, plus tons of mainland engineering firms, etc. /shrug

None of what you say above has been my experience. Although I agree that everyone should learn to speak English properly and to communicate well.

My thoughts on public schools are a whole different subject, and not much of it good!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-08-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Because obviously your not attacking me on fact.
I live here. That is a fact.

You do not. That is a fact.

In fact, you haven't even been to Hawaii since you were a child. How much more factual do you need?

As far as the silly shoe thing - I didn't say nobody does it - I said it is fading fast. When I make the Keolu Dr. run around the lake - I'd say the number of households with shoes outside make up less than 10% of the total - that's it, in your world, everyone does it. I can't even remember the last time I was at someone's condo and they did the silly shoe thing - can you imagine going to a high-rise condo and seeing everyone's shoes in the hallway - how silly would that be? As far a Pidgin, I didn't say nobody spoke it - but I'll stand by the people who lack an education fall back on it as they can't speak basic English very well.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well I worked for the #1 employer in the state
Well, no offense - but the State of Hawaii doesn't exactly have high standards for most of its employees. But that is a different conversation.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:42 PM

See it's just weird. I live in a pretty expensive area and everyone has shoes outside, and there are only about 10% locals here that I've met (I've met most of the people in our development).

Everyone should realize their observations do not make the rule.

When whtviper explains his life, I believe him.

Last edited by Mikala43; 02-08-2015 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Well, no offense - but the State of Hawaii doesn't exactly have high standards for most of its employees. But that is a different conversation.
Can't argue that. But I worked for one of the non-unionized sections. But our local politicians don't have high standards either.....

Ok, well at least I worked for one of the largest international engineering firms. /lol

Old 02-08-2015, 03:46 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,820,477 times
Quote:
I can't even remember the last time I was at someone's condo and they did the silly shoe thing - can you imagine going to a high-rise condo and seeing everyone's shoes in the hallway - how silly would that be?
Of course not! LOL!
Why would they leave their shoes in the hallway? LOL!

However, many people do take off their shoes in their foyer and leave them there and I'm not just speaking about people in Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu