Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 09:41 PM

48,557 posts, read 34,927,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It's is called The Bus. If you've been here the past 40 years you would know that.
Everyone calls it Da Bus.

DaBus - The Oahu Bus App

Even the gov.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-07-2015, 10:22 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,763,349 times
@Mikala43, Jung

Mahalo guys tanks lol.

Jung you was here,

Old 02-07-2015, 10:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,228,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Domo View Post
You must have one heck of a front door if everything you need is just out(side) of it.
It's about the way cities are zoned. The U.S. invented the automobile, and created gazillions of laws to encourage and almost make car usage necessary. So, anyone in the U.S., has a really difficult time imagining it any other way.

But living in Asia, it's quite common to step out your front door, and have 100s of restaurants within 15 minute walk, let alone everything else. It's commonplace. In the U.S., its completely inconceivable. Basically, in Asia, you have a gazillion amenities within quick walking distance, and then you get on the train and go another 20 minutes or 40 minutes or whatever to do something more unique, like go to the horse races or dog races or whatever else. But, in general, you don't need to get into a car to do anything.

Best yet is you can drink and socialize so easily in Asia, and never need to get in a car or taxi to get home. You'll always be able to walk to a dozen or so different bars and such to meet friends, and walk home right afterwards, being in bed within 15 minute walk from a bar. It's basically the norm, and if you aren't in place like that in Asia, it feels very uncomfortable.

Anyways, it's what people are used to it. When I go to the U.S., I feel restricted by car dependence. The fact I can't walk to work, walk to stores to get food, makes me more apprehensive and nervous. What I don't like most, is someday people get old, they might lose their license, or just be too old, that they shouldn't be getting behind the wheel and entering onto highways and other places. Then if you want to socialize with a beer with friends, how do you do it? I don't want to drive drunk, so you end up isolated not doing anything with others that involves getting a beer.

Anyway, I think for anyone in the U.S., it's hard to imagine the freedom of not being car dependent. Hardest yet is living in Asia, and having excited students ask me how they are going to study in the U.S., and how they can get around to places. I have to embarrassingly say that the U.S. doesn't have any infrastructure in place for people getting from A to B. They'll have to get a drivers license or make friends quickly, if they want to get from A to B. Even more difficult is if they want to make friends and socialize over a beer.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Everyone calls it Da Bus.

DaBus - The Oahu Bus App

Even the gov.
Really? Do you have source material for that? I know the mobile app is named that. Never heard it actually called that. Seems odd none of the search engines on Gov speeches bring that phrase up.

Having been in meetings with the prior Governor and having recently met the current Governor, they don't seem the type to butcher the name like that. Perhaps it is lower class slang.

Perhaps you heard it wrong?

Old 02-07-2015, 11:33 PM

960 posts, read 1,218,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Then you wouldn't move to areas like Manhattan, San Francisco, or possibly Kakaako. All allow cars but discourage the ownership by lack of parking and high fees.

I find "walking" communities very appealing, and I like the sense of community it develops, but I won't live without the freedom of a car.
I love living in walking neighborhoods. It doesn't mean you don't have a car or use a car. You just don't need one for your normal day to day living. And you don't need to buy a months worth of food at a time. I typically would just walk to work and pick up a few groceries as I need them. Sometimes you simply pick up a few things every day on the way back home. For me it's a great way to live and quite relaxing. Kakaako could possibly turn into that type of urban neighborhood. its just a different lifestyle and mind set then the heavily car dependent life style.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:38 PM

960 posts, read 1,218,018 times
Quote:
Really? Do you have source material for that? I know the mobile app is named that. Never heard it actually called that. Seems odd none of the search engines on Gov speeches bring that phrase up.

Having been in meetings with the prior Governor and having recently met the current Governor, they don't seem the type to butcher the name like that.

The phone app you download for The Bus is called Da Bus.

If you type "da bus" into google it brings up The Bus.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
The phone app you download for The Bus is called Da Bus.

If you type "da bus" into google it brings up The Bus.
I said in my post the mobile app is called Da Bus - but it is called and named "The Bus" I've never heard anyone actually call it Da Bus - nor do I find any search engine references to it except the mobile app.

Perhaps it is some lower class slang.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:04 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,112,362 times
Quote:
I said in my post the mobile app is called Da Bus - but it is called and named "The Bus" I've never heard anyone actually call it Da Bus - nor do I find any search engine references to it except the mobile app.

Perhaps it is some lower class slang.
That's because you get plenny swimming pool.

It's been "da bus" since I've been on this island in the mid 70's. No local has heard the term "the bus". Ever.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:30 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,112,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's about the way cities are zoned. The U.S. invented the automobile, and created gazillions of laws to encourage and almost make car usage necessary. So, anyone in the U.S., has a really difficult time imagining it any other way.

But living in Asia, it's quite common to step out your front door, and have 100s of restaurants within 15 minute walk, let alone everything else. It's commonplace. In the U.S., its completely inconceivable. Basically, in Asia, you have a gazillion amenities within quick walking distance, and then you get on the train and go another 20 minutes or 40 minutes or whatever to do something more unique, like go to the horse races or dog races or whatever else. But, in general, you don't need to get into a car to do anything.

Best yet is you can drink and socialize so easily in Asia, and never need to get in a car or taxi to get home. You'll always be able to walk to a dozen or so different bars and such to meet friends, and walk home right afterwards, being in bed within 15 minute walk from a bar. It's basically the norm, and if you aren't in place like that in Asia, it feels very uncomfortable.

Anyways, it's what people are used to it. When I go to the U.S., I feel restricted by car dependence. The fact I can't walk to work, walk to stores to get food, makes me more apprehensive and nervous. What I don't like most, is someday people get old, they might lose their license, or just be too old, that they shouldn't be getting behind the wheel and entering onto highways and other places. Then if you want to socialize with a beer with friends, how do you do it? I don't want to drive drunk, so you end up isolated not doing anything with others that involves getting a beer.

Anyway, I think for anyone in the U.S., it's hard to imagine the freedom of not being car dependent. Hardest yet is living in Asia, and having excited students ask me how they are going to study in the U.S., and how they can get around to places. I have to embarrassingly say that the U.S. doesn't have any infrastructure in place for people getting from A to B. They'll have to get a drivers license or make friends quickly, if they want to get from A to B. Even more difficult is if they want to make friends and socialize over a beer.
There are several reasons why the US is more car dependent than other places across the world but the core reason is not zoning - it's racism and class warfare. Until recently, most urban centers in the US were considered the slums. They had a high concentration of black and hispanic people and white people didn't want to have anything to do with them. They wanted to get as far away from them as possible. That's when the suburbs were created. Today, lower class citizens are being pushed out of the core through urban revitalization and gentrification. White, wealthy people now realize they don't want to spend hours every day commuting; they want to be back in the city again. Basically, society is making it cost-prohibitive for the "have nots" to live in the core.

Last edited by pj737; 02-08-2015 at 04:42 AM..

Old 02-08-2015, 08:03 AM

48,557 posts, read 34,927,283 times
Quote:

Having been in meetings with the prior Governor and having recently met the current Governor, they don't seem the type to butcher the name like that. Perhaps it is lower class slang.

I meant on the Gov website. I've never called a Governor "Gov", and I worked for one for 6 years. The Bus is C&C, so the Governor probably doesn't talk about it too much? Da Bus is a City & County App. TheBus

LOL at the lower class slang. Maybe it's a local thing. I've heard it referred that way in government offices, while I think a lot of politicians ARE low class, I'm thinking YOUR not thinking low class in the same way. Pretty sure I haven't heard it wrong, it's a pretty common joke.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu