Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:38 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,113,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
So, you are implying they should walk it with their 30 lb milk and rice instead? I'd think standing and dangling from a metal bar, with their 30 lb rice and milk resting comfortably nearby, would be much more preferable.
I'm just saying that those that have the financial ability to own a personal vehicle for transportation will not be riding the train. Public transportation will very much become a class/demographic issue over the next 10-15 years. Trains will eventually lose their desirability as "convenient" ways to get around when compared to cheap, efficient, compact, safe automobiles. Socioeconomically speaking, rail will be the equivalent of "slum" transportation. Cars are getting cheaper, smaller, more efficient and much much safer every single model year. They will also require very little human interaction as they become automated over the next 10-15 years. They will drive, change lanes and park themselves with very little to no attention from the driver. Rail on the other hand, offers nothing more than it did 10, 20 or 30 years ago. It's like being stuck in a time warp.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,232,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
I'm just saying that those that have the financial ability to own a personal vehicle for transportation will not be riding the train. Public transportation will very much become a class/demographic issue over the next 10-15 years. Trains will eventually lose their desirability as "convenient" ways to get around when compared to cheap, efficient, compact, safe automobiles. Socioeconomically speaking, rail will be the equivalent of "slum" transportation. Cars are getting cheaper, smaller, more efficient and much much safer every single model year. They will also require very little human interaction as they become automated over the next 10-15 years. They will drive, change lanes and park themselves with very little to no attention from the driver. Rail on the other hand, offers nothing more than it did 10, 20 or 30 years ago. It's like being stuck in a time warp.
I think that has been true in much of the U.S. except for cities like NYC. Throughout the rest of the world though, almost everyone of any demographic uses the trains and public transportation.

I think it mostly depends on how cities are setup. In Europe and Asia and New York City, everything is so incredibly walkable, than an automobile is just way more inconvenient.

But in cities like Denver, Los Angeles, on and on. They are still using the same model where people basically need a car to get to the stations themselves. Then it gets ridiculous to consider driving to a large parking lot to park. So, it makes sense, that if you have a car, you'd just park in the parking lot of your destination, than the one at a metro station.

My general feeling of Oahu, is that with Oahu limited lands, I think at some point in the future, 40-60 years from now, a car-oriented system would just be way too stressful. The gridlock would be too intensive. A city like Honolulu needs those alternatives setup, as it'll just get messier and messier if everything is only highway-centric and highway-oriented without it.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

My general feeling of Oahu, is that with Oahu limited lands, I think at some point in the future, 40-60 years from now, a car-oriented system would just be way too stressful. The gridlock would be too intensive. A city like Honolulu needs those alternatives setup, as it'll just get messier and messier if everything is only highway-centric and highway-oriented without it.
I have to disagree - the island is limited by how much population can actually be here - as the population increases since having a bunch of babies seems to be the norm here - more high-rises will go up close to the urban core of work - and more people walking to work. Or, people working from home.

Rail will be a niche in Honolulu. And I hope 40-60 years from now that more efficient ways of transportation exist than rail.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:36 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,763,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Yup, but you can get quality food at the big box stores now too. Even Safeway and Foodland has similar offerings these days at better prices. WF was once a niche market but now every store that sells food offers non-GMO and organic in virtually every aisle. Times have changed.

Agree with Hawaiianbyheart regarding the nostalgia behind the eateries listed but the food served their is so amazingly unhealthy I cringe when someone brings up those options to eat at. As much as I'd like to eat there, my body is screaming noooooooooooooooooo!
But thats the thing, with Hawaii your active and outside all the time(at least thats what it was like for me at small kid time) you didn't see alot of obese kids back den. So you could eat da box of malasadas or the super plate lunches. Today different with computers and t.v etc.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Domo View Post
I'll see your Charred Hung Sut, Raise you a Sam's Club, and go "All In" with a Costco (with gas station).
lol good one. I would just be happy with a good manapua and saiman stand here. You can keep sams club and costcos you need those in oahu.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:49 PM

@whtviper1
I don't think anyone is saying you can't find a gallon of milk for 5.69 to 6.29 at safeway oahu whtviper, But compared to da mainland that is expensive, but you can also find milk at $8+ at foodpantry in waikiki. Which was my point.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:26 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Domo View Post
I'll never understand how one shops while walking or taking mass transit. How do you bring back all the stuff you bought back home with you. It's a major non-starter for lots of people, for whom a POV is the only real solution to personal transport. Maybe shopping/delivery services would work if you don't mind somebody else picking out your lettuce!!!
Generally when walking, one doesn't buy a whole pile of stuff at one time, although if you do, you can take a taxi home. Taking one or two taxi rides a week is a lot less expensive than keeping a car. I lived for decades in Honolulu without a car. I did have a motorcycle, though, as well as a bicycle. One shops more often and buys smaller amounts, takes a taxi when there's a lot of stuff to move or goes with friends.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Generally when walking, one doesn't buy a whole pile of stuff at one time, although if you do, you can take a taxi home. Taking one or two taxi rides a week is a lot less expensive than keeping a car. I lived for decades in Honolulu without a car. I did have a motorcycle, though, as well as a bicycle. One shops more often and buys smaller amounts, takes a taxi when there's a lot of stuff to move or goes with friends.
You nailed it on the head. Me and my ohana used alot of taxi services in honolulu when i also lived on Oahu. We even used pedi-cabs (remember those?).

+1 it wouldn't let me rep you hotz

Old 02-07-2015, 11:58 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
I used to drive a pedicab, so yeah, I guess I remember them. Been quite awhile since I thought about them though! Good thing Waikiki is flat, those things didn't do hills well at all. At some point, I'd heard they'd put motors on some of them. That might have worked a lot better. That was just a one summer's job fresh out of college, though, peddling a pedi-cab isn't exactly a career although it is a good workout. It was kinda like one of those non-career jobs that everyone seems to have right out of school or during school. Peddling a pedicab, picking pineapples or working in the pineapple factory were generally three of the summer jobs you'd later find out that one of your what you had thought very staid and respectable office coworkers had done in their youth. Don't know what the comparable mainland jobs would be. Detasseling corn in the seed fields maybe?

Hmm, for Honolulu, golf carts would probably work well. They'd take up a lot less space, too.

I wonder how Hong Kong manages things? Aren't they about as densely populated as Kakaako is gonna be?

Old 02-07-2015, 12:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

I wonder how Hong Kong manages things? Aren't they about as densely populated as Kakaako is gonna be?
Obviously you haven't been to Hong Kong, from which - Honolulu can learn a lot, especially from the architecture and public transportation.

Hong Kong is substantially smaller than Oahu, 400 square miles versus 600 square miles - yet has a population of about 7,000,000 versus less than a million on Oahu. That means about 18,000 people live in every square mile of Hong Kong versus about 1,600 on Oahu.

About 90% of the population use public transportation on Hong Kong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu