Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 04:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post

Most are not aware that a gal of milk in some areas in Honolulu can be upto $8 at times plus Get tax and income taxes etc. I believe you don't give a complete picture.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:43 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Well never fear theres going to be one more built in the ward area soon. But to be truthfully honest with you, I would trade 10 whole foods for just anyone of these places to be here on the mainland

Zippys
Char Hung Sut
Liliha Bakery
Leonard's Bakery
KC Drive-Inn
W&M Burger
Chicken Alice
Etc

Isnt that funny that the grass is always greener elsewhere lol.

Yes alot of there food is ono.

I would rather go hungry then eat at some of those restaurants. The bakeries and Char Hung Sut get a pass though! Never hear of the last two.

Vive la difference!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,111,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It looks like Hawaii has 15,000 at or below minimum wage. Which is a much smaller number than I would have guess.

States with the Most Minimum-Wage Workers

I do think we would be at the top of the states based on homes with the most people living there.
Interesting. I would have assumed it was higher than 4.6% at or below minimum wage as agriculture isn't quite dead here yet. As for older working adults (i.e. out of school) looking to rent or buy housing, I'm sure that 4.6% figure drops significantly.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would rather go hungry then eat at some of those restaurants. The bakeries and Char Hung Sut get a pass though! Never hear of the last two.

Vive la difference!
Zippy's reminds me of bad grade school cafeteria food. Please take them off our hands.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 PM

Costco and Sam's are consistently under $5/gallon milk.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't go to Whole Foods that often - but it seems like wall to wall people at the one in Kailua - they do have the best Guacamole on the Island.

Yes, only 2 Whole Foods on Oahu + the one they will be building in Kakaako.
Never grocery shopped there in my life but have eaten their hot servings a good number of times. Great place to go eat a hot meal after a long hike... for the same price of Zippy's downright frightening food. WF is also great for shock value fun. Nothing better than walking down their aisles to spout out the incredibly insane prices to friends. $5.00 for 16 ounces of coconut water? You just can't find higher pricing for the same product anywhere. It's a sight to behold.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Domo View Post
I'll never understand how one shops while walking or taking mass transit. How do you bring back all the stuff you bought back home with you. It's a major non-starter for lots of people, for whom a POV is the only real solution to personal transport. Maybe shopping/delivery services would work if you don't mind somebody else picking out your lettuce!!!

Rail is the opposite of progress. In 10-15 years all the upper and middle class folks will be be toting around in their comfortable, private, efficient driverless electric cars with lots of room for the kiddies and groceries.... while all the "have nots" will be standing and dangling from a metal bar as they hold on to 30 lbs of milk and rice as they whisk around town in an elevated train.

People never really think things through.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Never grocery shopped there in my life but have eaten their hot servings a good number of times. Great place to go eat a hot meal after a long hike... for the same price of Zippy's downright frightening food. WF is also great for shock value fun. Nothing better than walking down their aisles to spout out the incredibly insane prices to friends. $5.00 for 16 ounces of coconut water? You just can't find higher pricing for the same product anywhere. It's a sight to behold.
Zippy's is downright frightening.

Whole Foods does have this to appease the Hawaii crowd. Which I think is the right way to do it if you are into that.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Zippy's is downright frightening.

Whole Foods does have this to appease the Hawaii crowd. Which I think is the right way to do it if you are into that.
Yup, but you can get quality food at the big box stores now too. Even Safeway and Foodland has similar offerings these days at better prices. WF was once a niche market but now every store that sells food offers non-GMO and organic in virtually every aisle. Times have changed.

Agree with Hawaiianbyheart regarding the nostalgia behind the eateries listed but the food served their is so amazingly unhealthy I cringe when someone brings up those options to eat at. As much as I'd like to eat there, my body is screaming noooooooooooooooooo!

Old 02-06-2015, 07:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Rail is the opposite of progress. In 10-15 years all the upper and middle class folks will be be toting around in their comfortable, private, efficient driverless electric cars with lots of room for the kiddies and groceries.... while all the "have nots" will be standing and dangling from a metal bar as they hold on to 30 lbs of milk and rice as they whisk around town in an elevated train.

People never really think things through.
So, you are implying they should walk it with their 30 lb milk and rice instead? I'd think standing and dangling from a metal bar, with their 30 lb rice and milk resting comfortably nearby, would be much more preferable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu