Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:31 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper. View Post
We've got family in Ironton, drive through Portsmouth on the way, at least once a year. One thing we noticed is that it doesn't stink in Portsmouth anymore. It used to smell like rotten eggs - sulfur, I suppose, from burning coal. We figure that this means certain factories have shut down, so there are less jobs, and as we drive through we notice it's a sadder, sadder place every year.
Actually it may have been rotten soy. Every now and again the scioto river will flood a couple soy fields in p-town, the smell is pervasive and horrible lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 06:36 AM

84 posts, read 350,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper. View Post
We've got family in Ironton, drive through Portsmouth on the way, at least once a year. One thing we noticed is that it doesn't stink in Portsmouth anymore. It used to smell like rotten eggs - sulfur, I suppose, from burning coal. We figure that this means certain factories have shut down, so there are less jobs, and as we drive through we notice it's a sadder, sadder place every year.
I don't ever remember that smell in the city of Portsmouth. But when I was little we hated driving through New Boston b/c of that smell!! Yuck. It is very sad to see that there are little jobs in that area. Although I did hear that the Russian company is building a huge factory on the river. I'm thinking it's in Greenup...just east of Wheelersburg. Hopefully that will bring a lot more jobs to those people.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguafria View Post
I don't ever remember that smell in the city of Portsmouth. But when I was little we hated driving through New Boston b/c of that smell!! Yuck. It is very sad to see that there are little jobs in that area. Although I did hear that the Russian company is building a huge factory on the river. I'm thinking it's in Greenup...just east of Wheelersburg. Hopefully that will bring a lot more jobs to those people.
This is true, I've seen them setting up powerlines for it already.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:52 PM

39 posts, read 241,911 times
I have family throughout Scioto County. One of the best things happening there is Shawnee State.

Many factories have shut down. Jobs are few and far between. Without a good tax base, there's no money for community improvements.

There used to be a coke plant there. Not sure what that is (steel?). They got in trouble with the EPA. That must have been where the bad smell used to come from. The plant went bankrupt, and is sitting there rusting.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:52 AM

84 posts, read 350,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvmesun View Post
I have family throughout Scioto County. One of the best things happening there is Shawnee State.

Many factories have shut down. Jobs are few and far between. Without a good tax base, there's no money for community improvements.

There used to be a coke plant there. Not sure what that is (steel?). They got in trouble with the EPA. That must have been where the bad smell used to come from. The plant went bankrupt, and is sitting there rusting.
I was actually a *product* of Shawnee State! Go Bears...hehe. I actually played softball there for 4 years too but that was a little over 10 years ago.

I totally agree with you though about SSU! I couldn't imagine what that town would be like without the campus. At least they have something to hold on too!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 21,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincyman View Post
As a former Portsmouth resident living in Cincinnati the worst place I could tell you to avoid is Portsmouth, Oh. It has corruption in the highest levels of
government of any small city, it is high in crime, prostitution and domestic violence and it has more residents on welfare and public assistance insomuch that those few employed as myself stood out. Ironically, the place I was employed was considered a major employer for the area but did little to help the economy of the area. Since this is a public forum I won't tell you what it is or what I did there.

For those of you still living in Portsmouth or Scioto County and wish to leave, come to Cincinnati's surrounding areas. They are close-knit with prosperity mixed in. I welcome you.
As a former Portsmouth resident, born and raised there, who also lives in the Cincinnati area, I've got a few things to say to you! Sure, there might be domestic violence, drug use, corruption, prostitution, etc.. But what do you think goes on in Cincinnati? All the complaints that you cited goes on in most American cities, large or small. I'd really be ashamed of yourself! People driving through Portsmouth go from RT. 23 or Rt. 52. Most of this is the business sections of the town, just like the Rts. that go through other cities. Drive into the town and you see a very lovely place. The new city school that has been built, K - 12, is absolutly fantastic. Between Portsmouth and Wheelersburg, new shopping areas and restaurants have been built. The college campus is great, the murals are beautiful...a showstopper all by itself! There are many churchs, beautiful ones. And as far as the crime goes....do you think Portsmouth is the only place this happens in? Look in your own neighborhood, look at the people getting shot in Cincinnati almost everyday. Look at the tragedies such as the two babies that died in the heat, Marcus Fiesel. I could go on and on. So, instead of being a traitor to your own hometown, be proud of it. I am!

Old 09-09-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Portsmouth Gal! View Post
As a former Portsmouth resident, born and raised there, who also lives in the Cincinnati area, I've got a few things to say to you! Sure, there might be domestic violence, drug use, corruption, prostitution, etc.. But what do you think goes on in Cincinnati? All the complaints that you cited goes on in most American cities, large or small. I'd really be ashamed of yourself! People driving through Portsmouth go from RT. 23 or Rt. 52. Most of this is the business sections of the town, just like the Rts. that go through other cities. Drive into the town and you see a very lovely place. The new city school that has been built, K - 12, is absolutly fantastic. Between Portsmouth and Wheelersburg, new shopping areas and restaurants have been built. The college campus is great, the murals are beautiful...a showstopper all by itself! There are many churchs, beautiful ones. And as far as the crime goes....do you think Portsmouth is the only place this happens in? Look in your own neighborhood, look at the people getting shot in Cincinnati almost everyday. Look at the tragedies such as the two babies that died in the heat, Marcus Fiesel. I could go on and on. So, instead of being a traitor to your own hometown, be proud of it. I am!
Oh please.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 15,206 times
[mod] No personal attacks please [/mod]

Last edited by MaryBeth2; 04-05-2009 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincyman View Post
As a former Portsmouth resident living in Cincinnati the worst place I could tell you to avoid is Portsmouth, Oh. It has corruption in the highest levels of
government of any small city, it is high in crime, prostitution and domestic violence and it has more residents on welfare and public assistance insomuch that those few employed as myself stood out. Ironically, the place I was employed was considered a major employer for the area but did little to help the economy of the area. Since this is a public forum I won't tell you what it is or what I did there.

For those of you still living in Portsmouth or Scioto County and wish to leave, come to Cincinnati's surrounding areas. They are close-knit with prosperity mixed in. I welcome you.
When I was in the Naval Reserves, drilling in Columbus. We had a Chief Petty Officer that was a Police Lt in Portsmouth. He was probibly the biggest lier, back stabber and plain out-right BS'r I have ever met. Last I heard, he had gotten fired for some underhanded things he had done with the department. I know that they used him and a few others at the EasyRider Rodeo in Chillicothe every year, as undercover agents You know, all that cloke and dagger stuff.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM

54 posts, read 264,579 times
Driving to Eastern Kentucky Portsmouth is just horrible to drive through.
I bypass it using Rosemont hill. Except in winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio