Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:18 PM

6 posts, read 26,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Portsmouth is such a small city but it feels like youre in the bad side of a big city. It really is bizarre how somewhere so small can have such big city problems. Its like the mini Detroit of the Ohio River Valley. No wonder people in Wheelersburg think they are better than everyone. Look at their competition lol.
There is an old saying - the enemy of my enemy is my friend; anybody that hates Portsmouth as much as I do is more like family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec 4 View Post
There is an old saying - the enemy of my enemy is my friend; anybody that hates Portsmouth as much as I do is more like family.
Quit ragging on P-town times are changing soon,the rumors are true,good times ahead.I walk where i please with no trouble at all...my German Shepard sees to that...also when you stick a loaded M1 between their eyes you command their attention and respect. Like to have a dollar everytime he answered YES SIR! YES SIR! Since you hate it so much don't bother to return when the jobs return and we clean this loblolly up... you decided to leave...i decide to stay and fight.Instead of B!#%@^&G about it what did you do to help the area other than leave?

Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 AM

Smile Best of Luck

Thanks for the reply - I hope the jobs do come back and you get the best one; however, I don't hate P-town soely because of the crime, drugs, portstatutes etc., it's a combination of things really. The half #% teaching, the lack-luster attitude(which is probably why it died, or is dying) and the "we bad" attitude of the West Side - and I am allowed to feel this way, I am not wrong to feel this way. I like to be around progressive people, thinkers. We didn't get cable on the West Side until '82. The cable company didn't realize we watch T.V. also, I guess. In six weeks you knew, if you read your books, more than the teachers did about the subject, which they didn't care about in the first place, but hey OUR team won, right? Which I have to admit, did me a lot of good - I apply for jobs all the time and they don't care what I know, just if my highschool had a winning team, that really enhances the quality of my life - their winning I mean. I am not even going to get started on people that burn things down for the insurance money.
If you like it great - stay there, grow old raise kids and grand kids, may one of them be rich and famous - but I HATE the place, always have, always will!
Best of Luck to Ya!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 05:13 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec 4 View Post
Thanks for the reply - I hope the jobs do come back and you get the best one; however, I don't hate P-town soely because of the crime, drugs, portstatutes etc., it's a combination of things really. The half #% teaching, the lack-luster attitude(which is probably why it died, or is dying) and the "we bad" attitude of the West Side - and I am allowed to feel this way, I am not wrong to feel this way. I like to be around progressive people, thinkers. We didn't get cable on the West Side until '82. The cable company didn't realize we watch T.V. also, I guess. In six weeks you knew, if you read your books, more than the teachers did about the subject, which they didn't care about in the first place, but hey OUR team won, right? Which I have to admit, did me a lot of good - I apply for jobs all the time and they don't care what I know, just if my highschool had a winning team, that really enhances the quality of my life - their winning I mean. I am not even going to get started on people that burn things down for the insurance money.
If you like it great - stay there, grow old raise kids and grand kids, may one of them be rich and famous - but I HATE the place, always have, always will!
Best of Luck to Ya!!!
I'am old with grandkids...lol...my mother grew up on the West side but they called it Nauvoo back in the day...they cracked down on the tutes & john's the other day...half of them were from the Worst Side.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:09 AM

Wink Good Reply

Again - as I said, it's your choice to stay or go. I have stated my reasons. And I do hope your grand kids do really well at what ever it is they want to be, wheather they stay in Portmouth, move to another Ohio city or out of the state completly. I suppose, if I didn't have to part-take of everything, make a living and be part of all the junk that goes on in Ports., if I haf lots of money and could just live there, I mean if I didn't have kids in school and didn't have to go to work every day and put up with whatever; I'de like it there, but like I said, they are their own worst enemies they drive out business or anything else progressive - ten years to get cable 5 miles out in the county, not a place for me. Like I said, best of luck to you and yours! I hope the jobs do come back and big - we'll see.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,274 times
I'm only 17, and i hate this town. Its nothing but drugs and crap like that. I serioulsy cant stand it here. There is nothing for kids to do.. Nothing at all And its pathetic. And the gov't. Dont even get me started on taht. and im going to be a voting citizen.. Wow thats gonna be a toughie considering how much i hate our gov't. Im just sick of htis town and once i graduate im OUT of here!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:51 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan2011 View Post
I'm only 17, and I hate this town. Its nothing but drugs and crap like that. I seriously can't stand it here. There is nothing for kids to do.. Nothing at all and it's pathetic. And the govt., don't even get me started on that. And I'm going to be a voting citizen.. Wow that's gonna be a toughie considering how much I hate our govt. I'm just sick of this town and once I graduate I'm OUT of here!
Maybe they have a "remedial spelling class" you can look into during the summer . Just joking, please don't get mad, I love to use "Spell Check" on my computer all the time, LOL

Old 07-29-2010, 10:46 PM

42 posts, read 58,157 times
Hello EB, I heard you were asking about me to Pat. I appericate that, I thought everyone in the OH forums hated me by now (only Kidding). Pat said we went through Portsmouth last year can't remember if we did, it doesn't really matter. Reading this thread has me just shaking my head at some of these people posting here. Let me get this straight, it's a city of 20,000 people. It has rampant crime, drug use and noticiable corruption in the police and city hall to the point that even it's supporters are comparing the crime to a city more then 15 times it's size. There is something really wrong here. Where I grew up if it was a bad area you admitted it and work to either leave it as fast as you could or you became part of the problem. There was no one sitting around making excuses for it and saying it was the greatest place on earth to live. I don't understand this mentality at all. I am starting to believe that if you dropped a 10 ft high pile of excrement in the middle of the state. There would be 5 or 10 people in these forums that would swear it was the most beautiful thing they had ever seen and it smelled like roses. It's not just here, I saw it in the Cleveland, Toledo Youngstown and Akron/ Canton forums as well. The only reason I can figure these people have is that if they convince themselves everything is wonderful, they don't have to get off their computer and do something about all the problems. I realize that reality suck more then most people, but a fanasty world doesn't solve any problems.
Btw I grew up in Queens, NY, if you are wondering and that area still sucks

Old 07-31-2010, 04:45 AM

3 posts, read 9,034 times
Default Beaver, Ohio

I was born in Beaver but grew up in Portsmouth and the Orphanage in Waverly.
I haven't been back in 40 years. I just wonder how Beaver and Waverly have changed?

Zaarenoc

Old 07-31-2010, 07:36 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan58 View Post
Hello EB, I heard you were asking about me to Pat. I appreciate that, I thought everyone in the OH forums hated me by now (only Kidding). Pat said we went through Portsmouth last year can't remember if we did, it doesn't really matter. Reading this thread has me just shaking my head at some of these people posting here. Let me get this straight, it's a city of 20,000 people. It has rampant crime, drug use and noticeable corruption in the police and city hall to the point that even it's supporters are comparing the crime to a city more then 15 times it's size. There is something really wrong here. Where I grew up if it was a bad area you admitted it and work to either leave it as fast as you could or you became part of the problem. There was no one sitting around making excuses for it and saying it was the greatest place on earth to live. I don't understand this mentality at all. I am starting to believe that if you dropped a 10 ft high pile of excrement in the middle of the state. There would be 5 or 10 people in these forums that would swear it was the most beautiful thing they had ever seen and it smelled like roses. It's not just here, I saw it in the Cleveland, Toledo Youngstown and Akron/ Canton forums as well. The only reason I can figure these people have is that if they convince themselves everything is wonderful, they don't have to get off their computer and do something about all the problems. I realize that reality suck more then most people, but a fantasy world doesn't solve any problems.
BTW I grew up in Queens, NY, if you are wondering and that area still sucks
Stan, you have to remember that most of these folks never get out of their hometown and do a little traveling if any at all. I, myself have been to 27 different countries on 5 different continents and I've seen everything from the pyramids of Egypt to the jungle of Panama to one of the oldest castles of the northern hemisphere and the outback of Australia. So, in their minds some of these places that they either speak so highly of, or down trod with heavy passion are the only places they know.
I've been to Portsmouth and I knew a cop and his wife that live or, lived there and to be truthful about it. I wasn't impressed at the least. But then again, there are cities like this one all over the country and you will always find those who talk negative and positive about them.

Oh, and by the way, "you have never given me a reason to speak ill of you" , so thus that means I like you. But there are those that don't need a reason to to trash others, they just enjoy doing it. So the best thing to do is to ignore them and talk around them, right?

I had better get back on topic, I don't wish to "pirate" this thread from the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio