Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 7,834 times

Advertisements

I took pics of my town yesterday. See Portsmouth for yourself in my albums.

Last edited by MaryBeth2; 04-30-2009 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: Link removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 01:44 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith000 View Post
And I take it that these were picture from the good side of town, right . I'm sure there's alot of crack-houses judgeing by all the boarded up houses I see.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:38 AM

84 posts, read 350,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith000 View Post
I was able to see the pictures before they were removed. Very sad area.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,662,407 times
Just click on her name, and it will take you to her profile, where her albums are.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:56 AM

84 posts, read 350,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
Just click on her name, and it will take you to her profile, where her albums are.
Oh cool. I'm glad they weren't taken down. It really was a true taste of Portsmouth.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:00 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,662,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguafria View Post
Oh cool. I'm glad they weren't taken down. It really was a true taste of Portsmouth.

It's a rule no first time posters can post a link. But you can still get to the pictures.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:42 PM

9 posts, read 34,264 times
Default Hey U Got It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Portsmouth Gal! View Post
As a former Portsmouth resident, born and raised there, who also lives in the Cincinnati area, I've got a few things to say to you! Sure, there might be domestic violence, drug use, corruption, prostitution, etc.. But what do you think goes on in Cincinnati? All the complaints that you cited goes on in most American cities, large or small. I'd really be ashamed of yourself! People driving through Portsmouth go from RT. 23 or Rt. 52. Most of this is the business sections of the town, just like the Rts. that go through other cities. Drive into the town and you see a very lovely place. The new city school that has been built, K - 12, is absolutly fantastic. Between Portsmouth and Wheelersburg, new shopping areas and restaurants have been built. The college campus is great, the murals are beautiful...a showstopper all by itself! There are many churchs, beautiful ones. And as far as the crime goes....do you think Portsmouth is the only place this happens in? Look in your own neighborhood, look at the people getting shot in Cincinnati almost everyday. Look at the tragedies such as the two babies that died in the heat, Marcus Fiesel. I could go on and on. So, instead of being a traitor to your own hometown, be proud of it. I am!
I am from West Portsmouth but have stayed some time in Columbus and let me say that is the only place I have seen a dead body laying on the corner. I have lived in Portsmouth for 29 years and the only bad thing about the area compared to other areas is there is no real work here and that sucks there could be great things here if our city govenrment would put forth a little effort. But as long as Kalb is in office and Donini is Sheriff plus we fired Horner for a year great year though but now he is back to his corrupt ways. Horner and Kalb are to crooked to get along that is what that was all about. If we could straighten up our government along with the government of the whole country we could have things here but until then this is home I love it here it's quite, yes it has its downfalls drugs, prostitution, crime, and does seem to be getting worse here of late. But there is no place I'd rather be than sitting here typing this message about my great city of Portsmouth. We need a good mayor, good police chief and good sheriff and this place could be cleaned up in no time. The cops around here know who the drug dealers are they just laugh about it and go on. I hate that if they know who the drug dealers are they ought to bust em'! Simple as that but to you cincyman your city has way worse crimes than here I have been in Cincy too suburbs are nice as with any other city but crime is there bro believe me.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 PM

3 posts, read 26,278 times
Portsmouth is a town that had a downward spiral. The same as any other former industrial town. This is do to outsourcing of industrial jobs to foreign countries. This is a national problem, it is not just in Portsmouth. Although this problem which reached it's climax in the 70s and 80s it has caused many other problems in Portsmouth.
Portsmouth however has made many strides recently to improve it's community. The majority of the area schools have all built new facilities, and are striving to produce intelligent well educated students, to better attract industry. In addition to this Shawnee State University, is always expanding, offering more degrees, and attracting more students each year. These students are not just local residents either. SSU attracts students from all over the country and will continue to grow.
Portsmouth is also a leader in healthcare, with the addition of open heart surgery to Southern Ohio Medical Center. This is a recent addition to the fine services already offered by SOMC, and is already considered one of the primer facilities in the nation. It is very common to see patience coming from as far as Texas to have their surgery done right here in Portsmouth.
In addition to the positive aspects of Portsmouth that I have already mentioned, the city school, the Portsmouth Trojans received a donation of $10 million to build new athletic complex next to their recently completed new schools. The new facilities are beautiful, and state of the art, including a 6,0000 seat football stadium (The Trojan Coliseum) it has a huge field house, and the same turf as Ohio State. The facility will also include a baseball field, softball field, tennis courts, basket ball courts, and track. This just another example of proud Portsmouth resident reinvesting in the community, and trying to be part of the solution to keep this town on the up swing. Opposed to those who get online and down grade a town. I would also like to add that this was built using local labor, and construction firms. This facility is located in downtown Portsmouth, and is a boost to local restaurants and businesses on game nights. One night this year they hosted 9,000 fans. That’s a big crowd for a town of 20,000.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:03 AM

498 posts, read 1,508,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portsmouthproud View Post
In addition to the positive aspects of Portsmouth that I have already mentioned, the city school, the Portsmouth Trojans received a donation of $10 million to build new athletic complex next to their recently completed new schools.
athletic complexes only get used by one clique of kids for a couple years of their lives, and do not generate revenue. $10 million could certainly have been used to start a business and get some people in portsmouth working again.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:13 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,505,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
athletic complexes only get used by one clique of kids for a couple years of their lives, and do not generate revenue. $10 million could certainly have been used to start a business and get some people in portsmouth working again.
I doubt that the "revenue generation" aspect was the driving force in this project, although people do frequent restaurants, gas stations, etc. before and after practices and competitions. It more likely was a "quality of life" or "civic pride" mindset that resulted in this donation. The "couple years of their lives" may be true for the current generation, but then there is next year's group, and the following years, and the following years, and the following years, and the ...

The new schools and the evidence of community pride from all the facilities will do much to present a positive picture to potential newcomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio