Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:16 AM

498 posts, read 1,508,363 times

Advertisements

no complaints at all about the new schools. after all, academics provide dividends. $10 million could have provide a whole bunch of additional materials, or provide more competitive teachers.

athletics, not so much other than parents and grandparents living vicariously through their children. keep in mind that we are discussing high school athletics. no one cares about high school athletics outside of the people in the city unless the high school has an attraction like lebron james at st. mary-st. vincent or if the team is a well-known powerhouse, which the trojans are not.

heck, $10 million could get a bunch more police officers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 PM

3 posts, read 26,285 times
Many of you have commented that 10 million dollars could have been used for different things. I would like to remind you that this money was donated for the specific purpose of new athletic facilities.
Also in small towns high school athletics are a large attraction, and generate money for surrounding businesses. Of course the more successful a team is the more revenue you can expect to generate. However as I previously stated the new complex has already hosted more then 9,000 people for one game. That can be nothing but positive for the community.
The area in which the new complex was built was also several rundown, and blighted properties. The complex has allowed for the general removal of these blighted properties.
As for the comments made that the Trojans (Portsmouth's high school team for those who don't know) may not be a state power, but are a regular playoff participant in football qualifying for the post season 6 out of the last 10 seasons, and are in contention for another playoff berth this year. They have also had an A.P. state title, a regional championship, and 2 regional runners up in this time frame. In basketball the Trojans have 4 State Titles and are the most successful team all time in the southeast district, and are in the top 10 among wins all time in the state history.
For these reason the Trojan athletic programs normally bring sizeable crowds to their games resulting in patrons spending more money in the surrounding businesses.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 PM

49 posts, read 127,612 times
Agree with you 100%! My husband and I live in the Wheelersburg area, which I believe is the best area in Scioto county but even I dislike living here. We are looking into moving but it may be a few years because we have to sell our home first. I agree with all the unemployment. I have people looking at my husband and I like we are stupid because we both have jobs. People really believe that being a stay at home mom is the only way in this area. I love my little guy but to support this family we both need to work. What upsets me more than anything is the welfare here and how most people in this area don't even try to find jobs and prefer to live off the government (aka my paycheck).

Old 11-15-2009, 07:27 PM

6 posts, read 24,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
no complaints at all about the new schools. after all, academics provide dividends. $10 million could have provide a whole bunch of additional materials, or provide more competitive teachers.

athletics, not so much other than parents and grandparents living vicariously through their children. keep in mind that we are discussing high school athletics. no one cares about high school athletics outside of the people in the city unless the high school has an attraction like lebron james at st. mary-st. vincent or if the team is a well-known powerhouse, which the trojans are not.

heck, $10 million could get a bunch more police officers...
--WOW! I could not agree with you more, esp. about parents and grandparents living vicariously through their children.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 14,792 times
We also moved recently from Portsmouth to Cincinnati. We spent 8 years living there (2001-2009) and although there are some bad areas to avoid - there are also signs of growth and positive change. Several examples include the brand new city schools (K - 12) located across from the library - also a brand new sports complex across from the high school. In addition to that - Shawnee State University offers a low-priced option for people to get a 4-year degree (with some masters programs being added including education). There is also the beautiful Vern Riffe Center for the Performing Arts - a beautiful 1,110 seat auditorium that hosts many cultural events, musical and drama performances that you would pay 2-3 times more to see in any other city. Add to that the natural beauty of the Kentucky hills, the Ohio river and lots of beautiful views from several overlooks. The downtown has seen better days - but there is a movement (ignited by Main Street Portsmouth) to revitalize the historic downtown area and attract small business and tourism. The floodwall murals attract thousands of visitors each year - and there are several events throughout the year. Overall - you can not find a more laid-back pace of living or a lower-cost alternative (low taxes and utilities, etc.). Plus there is a major medical center (SOMC) and Kings Daughters is starting to offer more services as to compete. I would say it is a great place to raise a family - or retire. Visit and ask take a tour - it is worth a look.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,283 times
Since when has it ever been beautiful to drive through Portsmouth, Portsmouth Gal?
And the new shops? Where are they?
All I see is the same business being recycled into new building equally...still nothing.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:45 PM

6 posts, read 26,023 times
I now live in Southern Ca., but I grew up in Portsmouth. Even as a child I knew things were not quite right back there. For example, I noticed that a lot of places didn't really care if you, as customers, weren't satisfied, in fact sometimes they, the staff, got upset at you for complaining. I now figure because their back-door business was better than their legitimate business. Once, as a child - late 70s, I had my parents stop at a sandwich shop, on route 52, I bought a fish sandwich and it tasted and smelled like feet; I told my mom and she didn't believe me until taking a bite and almost vomiting - I suppose I was buying the wrong product from their establishment.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:57 PM

I agree, however, I was thinking - a good way to generate revenue might be buying things cheap at one of those auctions where they re-sell things confiscated from drug dealers, then sell the merchandise at a profit. You could set up a little business, maybe on Second Street or Market Street. The only thing is - the drug dealers might see their stuff in your store and not want to buy it back, after all, they aren't the most above board people - as they say six of one, half dozen of the other.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:13 AM

Unhappy Missing the old home town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynndeeoh View Post
We also moved recently from Portsmouth to Cincinnati. We spent 8 years living there (2001-2009) and although there are some bad areas to avoid - there are also signs of growth and positive change. Several examples include the brand new city schools (K - 12) located across from the library - also a brand new sports complex across from the high school. In addition to that - Shawnee State University offers a low-priced option for people to get a 4-year degree (with some masters programs being added including education). There is also the beautiful Vern Riffe Center for the Performing Arts - a beautiful 1,110 seat auditorium that hosts many cultural events, musical and drama performances that you would pay 2-3 times more to see in any other city. Add to that the natural beauty of the Kentucky hills, the Ohio river and lots of beautiful views from several overlooks. The downtown has seen better days - but there is a movement (ignited by Main Street Portsmouth) to revitalize the historic downtown area and attract small business and tourism. The floodwall murals attract thousands of visitors each year - and there are several events throughout the year. Overall - you can not find a more laid-back pace of living or a lower-cost alternative (low taxes and utilities, etc.). Plus there is a major medical center (SOMC) and Kings Daughters is starting to offer more services as to compete. I would say it is a great place to raise a family - or retire. Visit and ask take a tour - it is worth a look.
Sadely, as much bagging as I do - I actually miss Ports-Meth, Ohio.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:56 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,310,096 times
Portsmouth is such a small city but it feels like youre in the bad side of a big city. It really is bizarre how somewhere so small can have such big city problems. Its like the mini Detroit of the Ohio River Valley. No wonder people in Wheelersburg think they are better than everyone. Look at their competition lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio