Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,104,886 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever visited Australia?

No, but I'd love to go sometime. I'm a scuba diver, so the Great Barrier Reef is definitely on my bucket list.

If yes, what did you like best and what did you like least about it?

Extra Credit Question:

If the Travel Fairy could magically transport you to Australia at no cost, and with no flying or jet lag, what would you most like to see?
Native animals – koalas, kangaroos, wombats, emus, kookaburras, etc.
Beaches
Great Barrier Reef
Uluru (Ayers Rock)
Sydney
Melbourne
Outback
Other:

I'm not sure I'd take the trip out to Ayer's Rock (it's a loooooong trip out there) but I'd do all the others and throw in a trip to Tasmania to boot. If I was headed west after leaving Australia I think I might also be interested in Perth. Sydney doesn't excite me that much but hiking over that bridge would be cool (for me--hubby hates bridges)

Bonus Question:

John F. Kennedy was assassinated on this day in 1963. Are you old enough to remember the event?

Most people who are old enough, remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news. Where were you, and what were you doing?

Watching cartoons. I remember they interrupted Huckleberry Hound and I was a little miffed about that.

Just for Fun:

What would you rather do?
(a) Play a round of golf on a pleasantly warm day - or

(b) Ride a snowmobile on a freezing cold day

Golf! A good friend was paralyzed in a snowmobile accident, so I have no intention of ever riding one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 07:07 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,881,266 times
Good morning everyone. A couple of Australian-flavoured questions for you today!

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever visited Australia?

If no, is it on your ‘bucket list’? I won’t get upset if you say it’s not!
It is on my bucket list.. even though the bucket is leaking right now..

Extra Credit Question:

If the Travel Fairy could magically transport you to Australia at no cost, and with no flying or jet lag, what would you most like to see?
Beaches
Great Barrier Reef
Uluru (Ayers Rock)
Sydney
Melbourne
Outback
Other:
I'd say all of the above.

Bonus Question:

John F. Kennedy was assassinated on this day in 1963. Are you old enough to remember the event?
Unfortunately, yes I remember this tragic event, even though it happened when I was a little kid.

Most people who are old enough, remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news. Where were you, and what were you doing?
All I remember was getting home from school and my mom talking on the phone and listening to the radio.

Just for Fun:

Well.. It might be a little tough to a ride a snowmobile in Phoenix.. I tried that one time but I didn't get anywhere...

Old 11-22-2011, 07:12 AM

18,229 posts, read 25,885,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Good morning everyone. A couple of Australian-flavoured questions for you today!

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever visited Australia?No, but I would love to visit that part of the world!

If no, is it on your ‘bucket list’? I won’t get upset if you say it’s not! Actually, it is! New Zealand too.

Extra Credit Question:

Beaches
Great Barrier Reef Tied for first
Uluru (Ayers Rock)Tied for first
Sydney
Melbourne
OutbackTied for first
Other:

Bonus Question:

John F. Kennedy was assassinated on this day in 1963. Are you old enough to remember the event?Was in the 8th grade.

Most people who are old enough, remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news. Where were you, and what were you doing?Was in school between classes, all of a sudden our teacher/principal rushed out of class after taking a phone call. Came back and told the class what had happened. I still remember the look of befuddlement on his face as he was talking to the class, at that time I'm sure he thought something like this would be unthinkable. And he was in tears while he told us what had happened. It was only that past June that our 7th and 8th grade class got to take a field trip to the Air Force Academy to see President Kennedy give the commencement speech to the graduating class of cadets.

Just for Fun:

(b) Ride a snowmobile on a freezing cold dayGolf-need a cart though, can't walk 18 holes anymore much less nine.

Today in History:

1842 Mount St. Helens in Washington erupts
1910 Arthur Knight patents steel shaft golf clubs
1927 First snowmobile patent granted to Carl Eliason
1956 16th modern Olympic games opens in Melbourne, Australia
1963 John F. Kennedy assassinated

Today’s Word:

Poltroon \pol-TROON\ , noun;
1. A wretched coward; craven.
adjective:
1. Marked by utter cowardice.

Today Is:

Clean Up the Earth DayIt sure needs it, starting with the dirty politicians
National Knee DayBoth of mine have been sending me nasty notes for years, are in need of replacement.
National Nut DayThat's me 24/7!
Great questions Cobber! Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-22-2011 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-22-2011, 07:20 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,881,266 times
]Today Is:

Clean Up the Earth Day - Hmmm.. I think I have to start with my house first before I can clean up the earth..
National Knee Day - I'll have to wait for my right knee to heal before I can celebrate National Knee Day..
National Nut Day - The price of nuts these days is more than enough to drive me.. Nuts...

Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,604,932 times
Have you ever visited Australia? never have

If no, is it on your ‘bucket list’? I'd love to go there some day - preferably while the great barrier reef still has parts that look great.

Beaches
Great Barrier Reef
Uluru (Ayers Rock)
Sydney
Melbourne
Outback
Other:all the above plus lots more, including: see the MOFO music & art festival, visit Phillips island to see the penguins, zip line through the rain forest, and since we're down there already anyway - gotta visit New Zealand also. Mmmm lamb

John F. Kennedy was assassinated on this day in 1963. Are you old enough to remember the event? no

What would you rather do? i'd rather wait back in the club or ski lodge. If I had to choose, today I'd choose snowmobile. And if it was cross country skiing that would definitely win.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 AM

44,377 posts, read 20,086,203 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever visited Australia? Not yet! It's on my bucket list.

If no, is it on your ‘bucket list’? I won’t get upset if you say it’s not! Ha - see above!

Extra Credit Question:
Beaches
Great Barrier Reef
Uluru (Ayers Rock)
Sydney
Melbourne
Outback
Other:
All of the above, actually. If I am ever fortunate to go there, I'd like to see the things I've highlighted and the cities as well. Oh, to have about a month and unlimited cash flow to explore the country!

Bonus Question:
John F. Kennedy was assassinated on this day in 1963. Are you old enough to remember the event? Yes.

Most people who are old enough, remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news. Where were you, and what were you doing? I was in 4th grade, and the teacher announced it in class. They brought transistor radios into each of the classrooms and we listened to the news about the assassination.

Just for Fun:
(b) Ride a snowmobile on a freezing cold day - Definitely this one!

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
adjective:
I know a couple of poltroons.

Today Is:
Clean Up the Earth Day Every day should be Clean Up The Earth Day!
National Knee Day Mine is still healing from a fall I took 2.5 weeks ago.
National Nut Day Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't! (Most of the time I feel like a nut. )

Happy Tuesday, everybody! Great job on the QOTD, Kobber.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,335,925 times
Merry Tuesday,
>it's almost time to prep the turkey to be cooked early Thursday cause we like or dinner for lunch.

Have you ever visited Australia? *No, but would love too

Extra Credit Question:

If the Travel Fairy could magically transport you to Australia at no cost, and with no flying or jet lag, what would you most like to see? YES TO ALL: The outback, Sidney, Great Barrier Reef,Native animals – koalas, kangaroos, wombats, emus, kookaburras, etc.
Beaches

Bonus Question:

John F. Kennedy was assassinated on this day in 1963.
*I had a teacher tell me exactly where she was and what she was doing when she heard. I never forgot it she was so impassioned. There are two events I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing -Princess Diana's passing and the Twin Towers...

Just for Fun:

*I would rather just hang out at the beach.

Love and Peace

Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,843,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
G'day, mates!

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever visited Australia? I haven't.

Well, it can't be on my "bucket list" -- because I don't have one .....

I do have three cyber friends in Oz who have all extended an open invitation, but I'm not sure I'll ever make it.

Extra Credit Question:

Beaches
Great Barrier Reef
Uluru (Ayers Rock)
Sydney
Melbourne
Outback
Other:
All of the above!

Bonus Question:

I am.

I'm one of those people who doesn't remember actually hearing the news, but since it happened on a school day, that's where I must have been.

I DO remember watching the funeral procession on TV and seeing John, Jr.'s salute. My grandmother told me, "He won't even remember his father" and, for me, that was the saddest part of the whole thing.

Just for Fun:

(a) Play a round of golf on a pleasantly warm day - or Golf holds absolutely NO appeal for me.

(b) Ride a snowmobile on a freezing cold day I've never ridden a snowmobile, but it sounds like a lot of fun!

Today Is:

Clean Up the Earth Day
We should be doing this every day.
National Knee Day I have wonky knees, and I fell on the wonkiest one over the weekend (ouch), so I've been hobbling around the past couple days. Maybe it'll feel better if I hold a party for it!
National Nut Day Sometimes you feel like a nut!

Thanks for the questions!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:53 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,142,968 times
Good morning everyone.

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever visited Australia?No.
If no, is it on your ‘bucket list’? I won’t get upset if you say it’s not! If it's hotter than Texas, no!

Bonus Question:

Most people who are old enough, remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news. Where were you, and what were you doing?I was home, sick from school, laying in my Mom's bed watching daytime tv, when it was announced. My Mom cried, I was secretly po'd cuz it ruined my tv scheduling!

Just for Fun:

Clean Up the Earth Day
National Knee Day
National Nut Day

Thanks for the Q's today Kobber.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,344,614 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever visited Australia? No.

It's really not but I can rethink that.
Extra Credit Question:

Beaches
Great Barrier Reef This one but I'd also like to see the critters.
Uluru (Ayers Rock)
Sydney
Melbourne
Outback
Other:

Bonus Question:

John F. Kennedy was assassinated on this day in 1963. Are you old enough to remember the event? Yes.

Most people who are old enough, remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news. Where were you, and what were you doing? I was in the high school cafeteria eating lunch with my boyfriend.

Just for Fun:

(b) Ride a snowmobile on a freezing cold day This one. I love winter.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

adjective:

Today Is:

Clean Up the Earth Day
National Knee Day
National Nut Day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics