Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:28 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,017,589 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
In honor of Statue of Liberty Day

How many of our QOTD family have been to see the Statue or Liberty ?
Only on tv and pictures.

Bonus Question:

Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning fingerprints off of ?
Nope. Seeing fingerprints all over something does not bother me

Extra Credit Question:

What is the first "switch" you turn on in the morning ?
Coffee maker
Computer
It would be my computer. Have to check work email first thing everyday.
Light

Just for Fun:

What is the "wildest food" you have ever eaten ?
Muskrat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 AM

16,806 posts, read 40,014,100 times
In response to the rep questions.... the braised pig intestine tacos (known around here as "tripas") were delicious, if a bit on the rich side. Chewy as well.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:40 AM

48,250 posts, read 22,050,772 times
Today's Question(s):

I have seen her and she is inspirational...."The lady with a torch beside the golden door... welcoming immigrants to this land of oppurtunity. I got a lump in my throat thinking of the millions who entered here....the wretched outcasts from foreign shores....bringing their dreams for a better life to America.

Bonus Question:

Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning fingerprints off of ?
Yes, The "stainless" steel refrigerator door!

Extra Credit Question:

Coffee maker
Computer
Light this would be it. I turn on the bathroom light first thing.
Just for Fun:

a marinated beef caratid artery.
I was eating with my in-laws in Japan at one of those meals of many many little delicacies and pickles etc....and found one of the presentations served on a tiny dish.....to be chewy....rathr like rubber bands.....I didnt know what it was and asked...none of my Japanese in-laws knew either.....the waiter was called and I saw him gesturing to the side of his neck.....and then the answer was translated--caratid artery.

Oh I just read ahead, if wildest means from the wild.... I had sashimi served that was so fresh .... that the fish from which the sashimi had been flayed.....was mounted on the serving tray and his gills were still moving and his tail fluttering....(I asked to have it removed from the table....I like sashmi....but that was a bit to close to the wild for me.

Today in History:
1636 - The Massachusetts General Court provided 400 pounds to support a school or college, and so, Harvard University was founded in Cambridge, MA.
1886 - Statue of Liberty dedicated by President Grover Cleveland
1904 - Fingerprinting was first used by the St. Louis Police Department.
1922 - 1st coast-to-coast radio broadcast of a football game
1961 - Brian Epstein, a record store owner in London, was asked by a customer for a copy of the record, "My Bonnie", by a group known as The Silver Beatles. He didn’t have it in stock so he went to the Cavern Club to check out the group. He signed to manage them in a matter of days and renamed them The Beatles.
2008 - Rance & Sweden became husband & wife

Word of the Day:
conflate \kuhn-FLAYT\ , transitive verb;
1. To bring together; to fuse together; to join or meld.
2. To combine (as two readings of a text) into one whole.

Today is:
Wild Foods Day
Statue of Liberty Day
Fingerprint Day
Internet Day

Old 10-28-2009, 11:46 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,196,426 times
Today's Question(s):

I have not, someday I will visit though, been dying to see that entire city. We are a west coast family, so I have only been to the east coast once, and I can't wait to do some exploring out there!!!

Bonus Question:

Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning fingerprints off of ? My laptop.

Extra Credit Question:

Coffee maker #2
Computer If I have time
Light #1

Just for Fun:

What is the "wildest food" you have ever eaten ? I am not much on wild food. I have been fed moose meat quite a few times though. Oh, I did try alligator once, but in some areas that is not considered "wild".

Today in History:
1636 - The Massachusetts General Court provided 400 pounds to support a school or college, and so, Harvard University was founded in Cambridge, MA.
1961 - Brian Epstein, a record store owner in London, was asked by a customer for a copy of the record, "My Bonnie", by a group known as The Silver Beatles. He didn’t have it in stock so he went to the Cavern Club to check out the group. He signed to manage them in a matter of days and renamed them The Beatles.
2008 - Rance & Sweden became husband & wife Congratulations fellow Alaskans!!! I miss my home so please enjoy it for me

Word of the Day:

Today is:
Wild Foods Day no thanks
Statue of Liberty Day
Fingerprint Day
Internet Day[/quote]

Have a great "hump" day all!!! We are finally cooling down here in So. California!!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:48 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,326,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Good morning everyone
Happy Wednesday

Today's Question(s):

How many of our QOTD family have been to see the Statue or Liberty ? I did last fall, but from the Staten Island Ferry, which isn't that close.

Bonus Question:

Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning fingerprints off of ? The areas around door knobs.

Extra Credit Question:

Coffee maker 2nd
Computer Never in the mornings work-week.
Light 1st (bedroom)

Just for Fun:

What is the "wildest food" you have ever eaten ? Hmm. Well, when I was a kid I used to enjoy gnawing on boiled fish eyeballs.

Today in History:
1961 - Brian Epstein, a record store owner in London, was asked by a customer for a copy of the record, "My Bonnie", by a group known as The Silver Beatles. He didn’t have it in stock so he went to the Cavern Club to check out the group. He signed to manage them in a matter of days and renamed them The Beatles. It was NOT one of their better songs!
2008 - Rance & Sweden became husband & wife

Word of the Day:

Today is:
Wild Foods Day I think a Costco hotdog will be my dinner tonight.
Statue of Liberty Day
Fingerprint Day
Internet Day
Wonderful Humps to Everyone!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,217,713 times
Wow I can't believe it has been a year since the wedding! Karla does it seem like a year to you?

I haven't

Light switches, door knobs and toilet flush handle can't be to careful with cold & flu season here

Light~~ don't drink coffee and chores have to be done before the computer comes on.

Alligator when I lived in FL or maybe wild hog.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:25 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,618,240 times
Bonus Question:

Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning fingerprints off of ? The computer screen

Extra Credit Question:

Coffee maker
Computer
Light

Just for Fun:

What is the "wildest food" you have ever eaten ? possum, coon, snake, mealworms on a bet. Many other strange things take your pic! But my uncle trapped for a living. My aunt didn't believe in waste. If he caught it, you ate it!! BOY, AM I GLAD SHE DIDN"T MAKE US EAT THAT SKUNK HE CAUGHT!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,059,721 times
Today's Question(s):

Been to New York City, but never visited the Statue of Liberty.

Bonus Question:

Yes. The coffee table.

Extra Credit Question:

What is the first "switch" you turn on in the morning?
Coffee maker
Computer
Light

Bedroom light

Just for Fun:

Octopus

Old 10-28-2009, 12:48 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,047,033 times
Today's Question(s):

I haven't been to New York yet but I would love to go there someday and I would definitely want to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

Bonus Question:

My eyeglasses and my computer screen mostly.

Extra Credit Question:

Coffee maker
Computer
Light
-this one.

Just for Fun:

I had a great uncle that lived out on some land next to the Guadalupe river down in south Texas and one time he grilled and smoked all kinds of brisket and pork and what he called his "specialty". I tried it and it tasted a little funny but it wasn't too bad. He then told us it was goat meat!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,157,578 times
Hi everyone!

Today's Question(s):

How many of our QOTD family have been to see the Statue or Liberty ? yup~about 4 or 5 times...those stairs are a killer!

Bonus Question:

Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning fingerprints off of ? those brass light switches..

Extra Credit Question:

What is the first "switch" you turn on in the morning ? bathroom light switch
Coffee maker
Computer
Light

Just for Fun:

What is the "wildest food" you have ever eaten ? beef tongue? yummy! Oh if you mean from the wild~I guess just deer...venison..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics